Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2004 6:23:45 AM EDT
FINALLY, after a month and half, got my permit changed to "un-restricted". I can finally carry concealed in the lovely state of NY. Made for a great start to the weekend, just wanted to share.

Some info incase anyone is interested:
I'm in Orange County
I've had a "restricted" permit in NY for 5 1/2 years
I had a NJ permit for 2-3 years prior to moving to NY
The reasons for CCW I used were: To participate in IDPA/IPSC shoots in NY, PA and CT.

Bonus: Got a new NICS certificate also, no more NICS checks for another 4 years.

So far I have my CCW for NY, PA and NH. Working on FL, but I have to take the NRA Basic Pistol test next week. Then I'll have everything I need for the FL permit. CT is next, was on hold until I got the "un-restricted" for NY.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations!  Who was your judge?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats

I have a Business carry permit in Putnam . It's as close as they get to unrestricted  and
Is difficult to obtain because it’s about the only way to get the  NYC endorsement  which I have Pending .

I live in Dutchess now and will be applying to switch as soon I get word on the NYC app. Since Dutchess issues everyone an unrestricted unless you put hunting & target on the application , and it’s a good bet that my Putnam lifetime will be switching to 5 year renew soon.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
They wont mail them here; you have to pick them up at the Sheriff's Office. At least you have a judge that will unrestrict a permit.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
FINALLY, after a month and half, got my permit changed to "un-restricted". I can finally carry concealed in the lovely state of NY. Made for a great start to the weekend, just wanted to share.

Some info incase anyone is interested:
I'm in Orange County
I've had a "restricted" permit in NY for 5 1/2 years
I had a NJ permit for 2-3 years prior to moving to NY
The reasons for CCW I used were: To participate in IDPA/IPSC shoots in NY, PA and CT.

Bonus: Got a new NICS certificate also, no more NICS checks for another 4 years.

So far I have my CCW for NY, PA and NH. Working on FL, but I have to take the NRA Basic Pistol test next week. Then I'll have everything I need for the FL permit. CT is next, was on hold until I got the "un-restricted" for NY.

Ummm... for Fl.  You have a NY Hunting license.  Because that is acceptable in Fl as firearms training.  Or the last time I've checked.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:19:30 AM EDT
[#7]
does this:To participate in IDPA/IPSC shoots in NY, PA and CT. really w2ork
/???
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
does this:To participate in IDPA/IPSC shoots in NY, PA and CT. really w2ork
/???

Depends where and who are you speaking to.

Southern tier counties, 50/50 shot in my opinion.

ETA: NYC doesn't factor into this equation as you need either money or fame to qualify.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:39:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok, here are some answers to questions:

raptor22> Judge is Rosenwasser

tcsd1236> Actually, they don't send an entire permit, just the amendment coupon stating that the permit is now "un-restricted"

sterling18> I have not renewed my hunting license for several years now. I mostly hunt on a friends game land, no license needed FL will accept your handgun safety course certificate, but it can't be older than 5 years. So I'm stuck taking the NRA test, which is no big deal. The instructor is letting me just take the test, and not have to sit through the entire 2 day class.

chapperjoe> This is the reason I used. From what I hear, every judge is different.

sterling18> You are correct, it really depends on the judge. I know Rosenwasser is very good about issuing CCW permits. BUT, he likes to see valid reasons (such as the one I used) AND he wants to see that you have had your NY pistol permit for 5years or more.

Hope this answers everyone's questions. I will be getting a new permit (turn in the old one) so that I can eliminate some of the paper I have to carry. Right now I have the permit plus several other "coupons" for other pistols and the "un-restricted".
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ok, here are some answers to questions:

tcsd1236> Actually, they don't send an entire permit, just the amendment coupon stating that the permit is now "un-restricted"

I have never seen an amendment coupon for changing the permit status. Around here they simply reissue the actual permit. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Congrats

I have a Business carry permit in Putnam . It's as close as they get to unrestricted  and
Is difficult to obtain because it’s about the only way to get the  NYC endorsement  which I have Pending .

I live in Dutchess now and will be applying to switch as soon I get word on the NYC app. Since Dutchess issues everyone an unrestricted unless you put hunting & target on the application , and it’s a good bet that my Putnam lifetime will be switching to 5 year renew soon.

Years ago Putnam County routinely issued unrestricted permits as did Westchester County.  You can thank the NYC liberal democrats that are invading the county. Putnam can't go to an expiring permit system without amending NYS law.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Well first I have to get a pistol p[ermit in nassau county.
Well, before that I need to live in my own home in nassau county.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top