Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 3:11:17 PM EDT

I'm looking at a RRA A4 config and it states that their bbl's are chromemoly.

Is that the same as chrome lined?

Is their a huge difference between Midlength and Car guards ?

Advantage/Disadvantage Weaver Gas Block?

A2 post or gas block w/ removable front sight?

For now, I'll be mounting a carry handle. Eventually I want to mount optics, so I thought a removable front sight may be the better choice.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Chrome moly is NOT chrome lined. Mid length ought to shoot smoother and be more reliable, if anything. Get an A2 front sight base, its light than the weaver, and you dont have to pay extra to buy a heavy bolt on front sight. Instead of a carry handle, buy a folding BUIS, you'll need one when you add optics anyway.

Order from Legal-transfers or ADCO, RRA builds to order, and that takes time. Lots andd lots of time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
For now, I'll be mounting a carry handle. Eventually I want to mount optics, so I thought a removable front sight may be the better choice.
Mike

You'd be surprised that the front sight does not interfere with optics >2X.  Of course, looks are another consideration.  If you decide on a certain upper. give me a call and I can hook you up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mike

You'd be surprised that the front sight does not interfere with optics >2X.  Of course, looks are another consideration.  If you decide on a certain upper. give me a call and I can hook you up.

Thanks PK. After the lower group buy you handled for us, you get two thumbs up in my book
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
First, you are going to get many different answers to those questions because a lot is due to personal preference...

Chrome moly vs. chrome lined - for your first, I would highly recommend hard chrome lined.  Simple, durable, don't have to think for even a microsecond about it.  Nothing at all wrong with moly barrels, but I would not go there for this rifle.

I definetely wanted chrome lined. I just wasn't sure if moly and lined were the same with RRA.
Mid-length vs. carbine handguards - The significance is not the length, its the position of the gas block and length of the gas tube.  Make sure you check, there are setups that place mid-length handguards over carbine length gas systems.  If you are after the benefits of the longer gas tube, you'd be pissed if you got that instead.  In any event, mid-length has its advantages, and I own a couple (both AR15 & AR10).  Ultimately though, this totally personal preference.  If you want, you can compare the two next time we shoot.

I was thinking more of comfort betwenn the CAR and Midlength guards.

I'm not familiar enough with the benefits of a longer gas tube as opposed to a shorter one. What's the difference?

Front sight tower vs. rail block - Hmm...  There is a lot to be said for the traditional tower up front.  However, I have found that I do very much prefer the 'clean' field of view on my rifles with non-magnified optics.  (i.e., Aimpoints)  I would ask you this - What do you plan as your primary/everyday sighting mechanism?  Irons?  Aimpoint or the like?  Magnified scope?  If you plan to primarily only use iron sights on the rifle, without a doubt you should go with the front sight tower.  If you are going with a scope of some type, I would think hard about the rail block.  Adding the flip front and rear back-up sights is no big deal.  Again, I have all of these combinations of setups and you can check them out when next we shoot!  (10/9?)

I would say, primarily irons for now. However, I would probably want to go with an Aimpoint or Eotech within a years time or so. I wouldn't be interested in putting a magnified scope on this rifle. I figured with the removable sight and gas block that I'd have more options down the road.

Also, are you looking at RRA for a specific reason?  Complete (chrome lined) Armalite uppers can be had for less than you will pay for the (non-lined) RRA...

No particular reason. I originally was thinking Armalite or Fulton. Is Armalites A4 SOF Model NJ compliant?

There are so many opinions/preferences that float around on this board, it's hard to tell what's what sometimes. But I value your guys' opinions. Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:35:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Order from Legal-transfers or ADCO, RRA builds to order, and that takes time. Lots andd lots of time.

What do you think of CMMG uppers? They now have chrome-lined 1/7 bbls. in all sorts of configurations. You can even get it with a fold down front site.

Speaking of Legal-transfers (NH) I just happened to talk to Pete a couple of days ago when he called
me back after he missed my call. Never spoke to him before so you can't say I was a known
customer, and we had a nice 15 minute conversation about RRA parts and lowers and the state of
the biz. now and how everybody is backed up with the high volume of orders since Sept. 13.
He was very busy getting in and shipping out RRA complete lowers. I found him to be very informative
and candid, about this little corner of the retail gun biz. It's very refreshing to know that there are
vendors like him out there. When I get some more cash I'm going to order a lower parts & stock kit
from him for the lower I just picked up in our group buy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Any more opinions out there?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#8]
btt
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m not familiar with the RRA barrels, but you might want to consider the bushmaster super light carbine barrel.  It's very light, chrome-lined, 1:9 twist.  I’ve had good luck with bushmaster barrels.  My heavy barreled carbine is very accurate, but the super light is accurate enough for general shooting.  IMO, the super light goes well with a red dot optic.    

I don’t have a mid-length gas system to compare to my carbines.  I understand it is supposed to deliver a smoother, lower pressure gas pulse to the action.  As far as holding the carbine, I don’t have any complains with the regular CAR length.    

If you get a standard front sight post and decide you don’t like it, you can always add a railed or milled gas block later.  Removing the sight post is relatively easy if you don’t need to re-use it.  (a dremmel works fine if the pins don’t knock out ).  However, there seems to be fewer choices in aftermarket gas blocks if you go with the smaller diameter super light barrel.

It’s entirely personal preference whether you want the irons gone, in the lower third, or in the center of your future red dot optic.  I think my EOtech is pretty cool with no irons.  However, it works fine directly on the flattop with a BUIS.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
OK, here's a radical idea - Have you considered getting a stripped upper and building your own?  I just posted this in another thread and thought of you!

You can get a flat-top stripped upper for like $75-$100 and then start acquiring the pieces one at at time.  You can also customize to exactly what you want.

First step - you can get a book as well as an armorer's video from places like Busmaster.  Then get the tools - barrel wrench, vice blocks, vice.  Then start buying parts!  The most expensive thing would probably be the barrel assembly, which you can get a new Bushmaster like these:

M4 with Izzy brake $260

16" Plain  $210

Complete bolt group is $130 and so on.

Just a thought!

I appreciate the thought FMJ.

The lower was enough for me on this one I think(damned pivot detent).

I think that I'm gonna go with an Armalite M15A4 in either CAR or the SPR. I'd like to try a 16 and a 20 this weekend if you are going to Dix. I'd also like to try someones upper on my lower to make sure that it is in working order.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top