Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 12:35:13 PM EDT
For any of you that used to go out to East Otto to shoot at the public range on state land, don't bother anymore.  The DEC has dug a trench between the road and the shooting range so vehicles can't pass and they posed a half dozen signs saying, "Target shooting prohibited by authority of New York Code blah blah blah."

Some of the "no target shooting" signs already have several bullet holes in them.

I stopped at the local bar on the way out for a beer and asked the patrons if they had any intel.  They didn't know anything except speculating why it was closed.  A couple guys said they had been by twice that day and saw the DEC out there once so they are really cruisin for enforcement.

Now I know some people went out there and did some stupid shit, like one guy I heard who brought a case of motor oil and was shooting the bottles (he was cited, BTW) and the people who would shoot propane tanks and so forth but damn!  This range was awesome...it was a bit over 100 yards, outdoors, a nice high backstop and you could shoot more than just paper targets out there.  I remember one guy came out and took some 100+ yard shots at a masterlock with a bolt action 30-06 and hit it dead center.

Tell me WHERE can good citizens now go for good target shooting?

This has me rather upset!

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
excuse the language, but FUCK!
I was going to go there this week to shoot my new acquisitions
I do remember the DEC guy that stopped by the one day I was shooting saying that closing it was being considered, but I noticed it really cleaning up after that and figured they would leave it open since most of the trash got taken cre of
now I need to find a club to join, and probably will only be able to shoot paper
I'll let you know if I find anything close by
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Nick-
It's funny you just posted about that. I was going to do the same thing..we went out there this past weekend, and it was closed down.  

I hear there is another place out near the "Alabama swamps" that allows public shooting. I'll post when I find out more details.

-Chuck
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Sharky, do you know why it was closed?  Was it just a matter of people leaving trash laying around and what not or what?  I never saw the DEC any of the times I went out there.  Apparently, you've seen them out there several times.

If it was closed just because of the litter, it seems to me some trash barrels or even signs saying, "If you people don't start picking up your trash we are going to close this range" may have been a better alternative to shutting it down.  I know I, and others I know typically take spare trash bags when we go camping out in the "boonies."  We pick up all our trash and then fill another bag full of trash left by other people.

As for the Alabama Swamps, keep us posted.  I too have heard target shooting is permitted out there.  I went out there one time and was besieged by biting flies and was pretty miserable in general and never did find the shooting range.  But if you ask enough people or maybe a DEC officer they may be able to tell you.

Even in East Otto many of the locals didn't even know that range existed.

Us Western NYers need to find a new place to shoot.  Keep in touch eveyone.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I only saw a dec guy once. I think his truck said state forest ranger or something like that. He mainly just seemed to be making sure we were being safe, and asked us to clean up after ourselves. He mentioned the DEC was considering closing it but didn't really say why. I kind of got the impression it was due to people leaving crap behind.
Wonder if hunting is still ok. I was thinking of going squirrel hunting in that area
My dad and brother are members of the Westfield Rod and Gun so I'll be able to shoot with them, but I really want to find someplace closer. Probably will end up going a club around here. I think there's one in the Pendleton area. Heard McVeigh used to belong. Probably is watched by the feds (we need a tinfoil smilie)
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Where is this range?
I can ask my DEC contacts if they have any information.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Where is this range?
I can ask my DEC contacts if they have any information.

It's in East Otto, just outside of Springville.  About 30  miles south of Buffalo.

Thanks for any info you can provide.  Maybe there's a way to get them to change their mind.

As I said in my original post, I have some faith that posting signs about, "Clean up your trash or we will close the range again" may have some effect, or even leaving a couple 55-gallon drums as trash barrells at the site.

ETA:  Tell them it is was the range on the state game lands in East Otto.  They should know where you are talking about.

While you're at it, could you ask if they have any info on a public range in the Alabama Swamps (near Darien Lake).  I have heard rumors of a shooting range there, but have not gotten any solid info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top