Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 7:12:36 AM EDT
Well...I was a bit unsure about how to put together the lower parts kit from the group buy...man was that easy.  I followed the tacked instructions on the AR build it yerself page, and it wasnt nearly as hard as I was imagining. Now I have to get the stock ,buffer and spring, so I can finish the lower build. Any suggestions on stocks? How are the Ace ARFX stocks?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#1]
i really liked the ace stocks. i liked them so much, i put them on a couple more ar's that i have.  
mp
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well...I was a bit unsure about how to put together the lower parts kit from the group buy...man was that easy.  I followed the tacked instructions on the AR build it yerself page, and it wasnt nearly as hard as I was imagining. Now I have to get the stock ,buffer and spring, so I can finish the lower build. Any suggestions on stocks? How are the Ace ARFX stocks?

See, I told ya it was cake The ace stocks are cool.There are 2 sizes, one being the regular and the other ,the shorty.I have the shorty and my nose is about a 1/2 inch away from the charge handle, you should stick to the longer version.Ameetec has a cool looking SOCOM stock on their web site, check it out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'll let you know tomorrow. My ARFX that I ordered from Del-Ton will be here.
www.del-ton.com/detail.aspx?ID=32

BTW, what tools did you use to install the lower parts?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Funny you should ask. I was sitting at my computer, and found the instructions and just used what was at my desk. I used the flat part of a brass screwdriver and a wrench to hammer in the pins. I also used some masking tape to make sure I didnt mar the lower. The front pivot pin was a little tricky, as the spring and detent do not want to get down that hole. Be very careful not to launch them while doing this step.  At one point the detent went into the first detent hole on the pin, and wouldnt move, so I used a small nail/brad to push the detent down enough to move the pin and engage the second correct detent hole. The rest of it was fairly easy. One thing however, In this set of instructions  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=200688, the photo of the parts shows the hammer with the spring on backwards. Also, the bolt catch spring and the disconnector spring look an awful lot alike. The disconnector spring is wider on one side that the other. If I remember correctly, it is also a silver color, while the bolt catch spring is black, at least its that way in the RRA parts kit that I bought with the lower. Other than that its faily easy. Let me know how that ACE ARFX stock works out for you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Funny you should ask. I was sitting at my computer, and found the instructions and just used what was at my desk. I used the flat part of a brass screwdriver and a wrench to hammer in the pins. I also used some masking tape to make sure I didnt mar the lower. The front pivot pin was a little tricky, as the spring and detent do not want to get down that hole. Be very careful not to launch them while doing this step.  At one point the detent went into the first detent hole on the pin, and wouldnt move, so I used a small nail/brad to push the detent down enough to move the pin and engage the second correct detent hole. The rest of it was fairly easy. One thing however, In this set of instructions  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=200688, the photo of the parts shows the hammer with the spring on backwards. Also, the bolt catch spring and the disconnector spring look an awful lot alike. The disconnector spring is wider on one side that the other. If I remember correctly, it is also a silver color, while the bolt catch spring is black, at least its that way in the RRA parts kit that I bought with the lower. Other than that its faily easy. Let me know how that ACE ARFX stock works out for you.

Well, I got the ARFX today and it looks great !!!

I think I'm gonna assemble the lower tonight. I'll give you a report as soon as I'm done.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Well..I think I may have made a bit of a mistake, that hopefully wont be difficult to fix. I installed the front pivot pin, but now I realize I have to take it out to install the upper. Is there a trick in getting the pivot pin out? It doesnt look like it will be easy. Do I just wack it and hope it pops out?  Any suggestions would be helpful...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well..I think I may have made a bit of a mistake, that hopefully wont be difficult to fix. I installed the front pivot pin, but now I realize I have to take it out to install the upper. Is there a trick in getting the pivot pin out? It doesnt look like it will be easy. Do I just wack it and hope it pops out?  Any suggestions would be helpful...

I tried to get that thing in for 2hrs tonight. No Luck.

I think that if you leave it in the first hole, you should be able to attach the upper by sliding it forward and locking it into the second.

Dont quote me, I've never done this before

Can someone who knows what they are doing give us Novices a hand?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to hear that you had trouble getting the pivot spring and detent in. it was a bit tricky. What I did was lay the lower on its side with the hole for the spring/detent on the top side. I put the spring in the hole, and then placed the detent against the spring. I then used the pivot pin to carefully push the detnet/spring into the hole. When the detent was all the way in, I just slid the pivot pin over and into the holes on the reciever, where the pivot pin sits. Also, as for my question about removing the pin, its was not a problem as I had first thought. In the instructions they mention to do this correctly as it is difficult to remove, and the pivot pin on my bushmaster is very difficult to move, but on this lower, the pin moved fairly easily.   How did the rest of the build go?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Only assembled the mag catch and the bolt catch assemblies. Tried to get the pivot pin assembly and gave up after a while. I picked up some punches today, that should help. I'll probably finish it over the weekend.

BTW, so the Pivot Pin will move freely back and forth? Do you need to turn it or do you just slide it back out?

UPDATE- I GOT THE DAMN PIVOT PIN The rest looks like cake

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Glad to hear you got the pivot pin in. The rest should be a breeze. As for the pin, it just moves back and forth, and the divot just clicks in to the pin on both sides to hold it in place either in the open or closed position. On my bushmaster the pivot pin is really tight and a bit difficult to move, but on this lower , it moves fairly easily.  I also just ordered an ARFX stock. The installation doesnt look that difficult. Have you made a choice for an upper yet? Are you going to build one or buy a complete upper?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Glad to hear you got the pivot pin in. The rest should be a breeze. As for the pin, it just moves back and forth, and the divot just clicks in to the pin on both sides to hold it in place either in the open or closed position. On my bushmaster the pivot pin is really tight and a bit difficult to move, but on this lower , it moves fairly easily.  I also just ordered an ARFX stock. The installation doesnt look that difficult. Have you made a choice for an upper yet? Are you going to build one or buy a complete upper?

Thanks. I realized how the pivot functions after I finally got it in there

Did you get the ARFX from Del-ton? If you did, my stock came in three days, ordered last Friday, arrived on Wed.

I'm going to go with a complete upper. I dont really wannna get involved with headspacing and such. I've been looking at Fulton Armory uppers, but I'm also considering an Armalite. I'm going to go A3, and a carry handle with rear sights till I decide whether I'm gonna want an Eotech or Aimpoint.

Hopefully I'll get to try each on someones AR at the next Blast.

I'm gonna finish the assembly including the ARFX this weekend, I'll let you know.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Let this be a lesson to you all - you simply have not lived until you've assembled a lower using a Brownells pit pin installation tool!

Makes life a little easier I bet

Finished the lower including my ARFX !!!

Not too bad at all, except for the pivot

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you get the ARFX from Del-ton? If you did, my stock came in three days, ordered last Friday, arrived on Wed

I was about to order one from Del-ton, but I found one on the EE instead. The buffer , tube and spring are used, but in very good condition, and the stock , pad and the rest are new. $75 shipped. Just sent the money order today. Im also looking into a complete upper. A3 flat top, maybe a removeable handle, M4 barrel, maybe a brake? I still have some looking around to do. I think Ill take some notes at the next shoot as well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Did you get the ARFX from Del-ton? If you did, my stock came in three days, ordered last Friday, arrived on Wed

I was about to order one from Del-ton, but I found one on the EE instead. The buffer , tube and spring are used, but in very good condition, and the stock , pad and the rest are new. $75 shipped. Just sent the money order today. Im also looking into a complete upper. A3 flat top, maybe a removeable handle, M4 barrel, maybe a brake? I still have some looking around to do. I think Ill take some notes at the next shoot as well.

Sounds like a good deal from the EE ya' got dere

I think we're looking to get pretty much the same thing. I like the tactical carry handle, and M4 profile myself. My biggest problem is deciding whether to skip the M4 and go 20" HBAR, or get the CAR.

Decisions, Decisions
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#17]
well..It looks like the ol EE has come through again. I just purchased a Bushmaster crome-lined complete A3 upper with bolt, carrier, and charging handle, and a  A3TacBrake for $300. Here's the post with the pics. pics
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
well..It looks like the ol EE has come through again. I just purchased a Bushmaster crome-lined complete A3 upper with bolt, carrier, and charging handle, and a  A3TacBrake for $300. Here's the post with the pics. pics

Sounds like a deal I'm gonna have to wait a little bit, but it will be worth it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top