Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 7:39:25 PM EDT
i know this question is asked and answered once every week, so i apologize in advance.  only i want to make absolute certain because i am going to a close-quarters combat class on wed and i dont want to show up looking a fool.
so, basically i have 7 sig clips...3 10 rounders and 4 LEO 15 round clips, loaded and ready to go.  i am driving a ram truck (obviously no trunk).  can i lock my sig (trigger lock) and all of the clips (loaded) into my carrying case (so everything together) which will be locked, and put it behind my seat??

also, am i gonna get looks, like this guy is an idiot look, when i open my case and they see 7 loaded clips?

and why is it do i always feel like i am doing something wrong in this state when i am transporting or using my weapons???

thnx guys.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:54:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure bout NJ, but in NY, I think you need to keep your ammo and firearm in different locked storage cases.  The only firearm you can have loaded is your sidearm if you have an unrestricted CCW.  Do you really need to have your mags loaded?  

btw, look at it this way, you would be doing the same if you drop a minivan or a suv right?  

good luck on your class.   i'm sure it's gonna be fun.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
u r probably rite about bringing loaded clips, i just didnt want to be holding up a class or fumbling around loading a bunch of clips.  i cant wait for this class.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, considering you say LEO mags, one can assume you are actually an LEO; in which case you can carry all you like as you're an LEO (National LEO CCW, IIRC).
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well, considering you say LEO mags, one can assume you are actually an LEO; in which case you can carry all you like as you're an LEO (National LEO CCW, IIRC).

why could one assume i am LEO if leo mags are now legal to own in nj?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
To begin with, I though NJ had its own AWB. What about that Executive Order (I heard something about something like an Exec.ord. issued continuing the AWB in NJ or somethingorother in school a few days back)?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:58:03 AM EDT
[#6]
New Jersey prohibits the manufacture, transport, shipment, sale or disposal of large capacity ammunition magazines, unless the magazine is intended to be used for authorized military or law enforcement purposes. N.J. Rev. Stat § 2C:39-9h. New Jersey law defines “large capacity ammunition magazine” as a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly into a semi-automatic firearm. Section 2C:39-1y .

my mags only hold 15, making them legal.  the federal AWB restricted it to 10 rounds, but obviously that doesnt apply.

CHANGES IN FEDERAL LAW AS OF SEPTEMBER 13, 2004
RELATING TO
SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPONS (SAWs)

AND

LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICES (LCAFDs)

As of September 13, 2004, the provisions of Public Law 103-322, the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, covering semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices are no longer in effect. The regulations implementing these provisions also are no longer in effect.

Specifically, there is no longer a Federal prohibition on the manufacture, transfer, and possession of semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices.

There are no longer any marking requirements for semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices. Existing markings on firearms and magazines relating to law enforcement or government use may be disregarded.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:05:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i know this question is asked and answered once every week, so i apologize in advance.  only i want to make absolute certain because i am going to a close-quarters combat class on wed and i dont want to show up looking a fool.
so, basically i have 7 sig clips...3 10 rounders and 4 LEO 15 round clips, loaded and ready to go.  i am driving a ram truck (obviously no trunk).  can i lock my sig (trigger lock) and all of the clips (loaded) into my carrying case (so everything together) which will be locked, and put it behind my seat??

also, am i gonna get looks, like this guy is an idiot look, when i open my case and they see 7 loaded clips?

and why is it do i always feel like i am doing something wrong in this state when i am transporting or using my weapons???

thnx guys.

Ok, since we spoke about the serious stuff, now for the ha ha stuff.

Clips, clips, wtf are you doing with clips.  Holding papers together?

Before they rib you too much at your class, they are magazines.

just busting ya hump.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:19:39 AM EDT
[#8]
your killin me sterling.  lol
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

yo gop8558,

You work at Sirius Sat Radio?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#10]
All your answers are belong to searching....  
www.njguns.com/trans.htm
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yo gop8558,

You work at Sirius Sat Radio?

i have a vested interest in them succeeding.....
i have 4 subscriptions with them and about 10000 shares of stock.  hopefully they sign howard and i will be rollin....
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#12]
In NYS there is no requirement when transporting guns in an automobile trunk that they be cased or separated from the ammo as long as the gun is unloaded in chamber and magazine. It is not clear whether "unloaded in magazine" also applies to detachable magazines or just to an integral magazine. Of course you would be foolish to just dump your ammo, mags and guns in a trunk and drive off though.

If you are transporting your firearms in the passenger compartment they must be enclosed/cased in something but again there is no requirement that they be in locked gun cases or separated from the ammo.  Once again you would be foolish to just dump your ammo in the same box or case with your firearms.

If you have a NYS carry concealed permit the handgun(s) you are carrying does not have to be cased or unloaded as long as you comply with the specific restriction(s) listed on your permit.

The above does not apply to the transport of handguns/long guns when traveling through the City of New York or outside of NYS.  The following will satisfy the requirements for NYC and interstate transport of firearms providing that your guns are legally possessed in both the originating and destination locations/states.

I personally will only transport handguns/long guns unloaded in locked hard cases with the ammo stored separately in locked ammo cans either in the vehicles trunk (if there is one) or passenger compartment. If you are involved in a MV accident there is less chance that your guns or ammo will be damaged if transported this way.  If you are unfortunate enough to be stopped/arrested by the Po-Po the officer cannot legally open your locked cases/containers/trunk unless you give him/her permission or he/she obtains a search warrant.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top