Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 4:34:55 PM EDT
Looks to me that one could use a semi auto rifle, including an evil black rifle, in the rifle zones as long as the mag was a 5 rounder.
am I correct?
I hope so, because if the area I hunt in gets included in the rifle zone I plan on using my sar1
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Correct. There are no other restrictions as long as it is a center fire cartridge when hunting animals classified as big game.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#2]
sweet
now if they'll just pass that law to bring rifle hunting to the southern tier
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I am very tempted to take an M1A up north for a hunt this fall. I would have to work up an appropriate reload, as I'm not sure how well 147 gr milsurp would be for deer...hmmm.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I need to get some soft point 7.62 and do some more shooting to make sure my sar is accurate enough with the kobra red dot
although some people do it with success I just don't feel that .223 is enough for deer, otherwise I'd be planning on using my bushmaster if the law gets passed
other option would be the Garand or the 1903A3, but I don't feel like exposing those to crappy weather since they're historic. it was bad enough when the stock of my ithaca got scratched by the metal length adjuster on my webgear. I'd cry if that happened to the m1 or 1903
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:47:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:32:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there not a minimum caliber size to take deer in NY? Don't hold me to this, but .240 or larger is required????

Dan
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:20:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is there not a minimum caliber size to take deer in NY? Don't hold me to this, but .240 or larger is required????

Dan

Yup, .223 is illegal to use on big game during the hunting season. Not sure about nuisance permits before the season.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never heard of any caliber restrictions as long as its a centerfire cartridge.  

It is unlawful to hunt big game with:

* A firearm or bow aided by any artificial light or a laser that projects a beam toward the target.
* An autoloading firearm with a capacity of more than 6 shells (one which requires that the trigger be pulled separately for each shot), except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length of less than 8 inches.
* A firearm using rimfire ammunition.
* A shotgun of less than 20 gauge or any shotgun loaded with shells other than those carrying a single projectile.
* A bow with a draw weight of 35 lbs or less.
* Arrows with barbed broadheads; arrowheads less than 7/8 inches at the widest point or with less than 2 sharp cutting edges.
* Dogs.
* Aircraft of any kind.
* Bait.

Descriptions of Legal Implements for Big Game Hunting

Bow- Long (stick), recurve or compound bow with a draw weight in excess of 35 pounds. A legal arrowhead is nonbarbed, has 2 or more cutting edges and is at least 7/8 inches wide.

Muzzleloader- Firearm loaded through the muzzle, a minimum bore of .44 inches and shooting a single projectile. Scopes may now be used during the Special Muzzleloading Season in addition to the Regular Big Game Season and the Early Bear Season. See Muzzleloading section of regulations for special requirements during the muzzleloading season.

Handgun*- any centerfire pistol or revolver. Barrel length maximum is 16 inches

Shotgun*- Must be 20 gauge of larger and fire a single projectile, rifling in the barrel or choke is allowed

Rifle* - any centerfire rifle.

* - It is illegal to hunt with:

* a fully automatic firearm;
   * an autoloading firearm that holds more than 6 shells (except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length under 8 inches);
   * any firearm equipped with a silencer.

www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/biggame.html#Manner
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
[Yup, .223 is illegal to use on big game during the hunting season. Not sure about nuisance permits before the season.

Well, I'll be damned. I stand corrected! Not sure where I picked up that factoid along the way. "Any centerfire rifle" is a legal hunting implement...Can't use a full-auto (damn !), capacity greater than 6 rounds, or a silencer. Damned state takes all the fun out of it...

Learn something new everyday
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Correct. There are no other restrictions as long as it is a center fire cartridge when hunting animals classified as big game.

Are you sure of this? Does this mean I don't have to buy a five round mag to go coyote hunting this fall, because I hear those devils can run fast!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you sure of this? Does this mean I don't have to buy a five round mag to go coyote hunting this fall, because I hear those devils can run fast!

No unless you are you using a semi-auto pistol you are limited to a five round magazine.  Sharky was asking if there were any additional regulations in addition to the five round rifle mag limitation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No unless you are you using a semi-auto pistol you are limited to a five round magazine.  Sharky was asking if there were any additional regulations in addition to the five round rifle mag limitation.

Okay, that clears things up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:19:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
sweet
now if they'll just pass that law to bring rifle hunting to the southern tier

I dunno why they left MY county out of that bill. We have plenty of empty areas it would be safe to use a rifle to hunt in.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#16]
* Aircraft of any kind.
[

DAMN! I guess I shouldnt've  bought the Harrier Jumpjet at the Syracuse show last week!

Seriously, the cops here in Ilion were just chasing deer out of the park across from my house when I got ho,e from work tonight.

SP10 If you want to go hunting with that M1a you need softpoint or Hp ammo by state law. I've used my FAL 2 years in a row and you can block your 20 rounders using the kid's LEGGO blocks. that's what I do.

Incedently FP1201 and Georgestrings were talking about a black rifle hunt this year if you're game ?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:44:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Those deer the cops were chaseing will go back over RT5 & into the swamp between the highway & Canal. It is full of them back there. Big ones. Then they will follow the runs west a bit, & into my area. Will be lots of jerky this year if anybodys interested. -Justin
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
* Aircraft of any kind.
[

Yea I laaughed when I saw that too..  guess ill cancel my order for the Apache;/

and BTW, what counties are affected by the rifle bill? any1 have a link?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:32:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
SP10 If you want to go hunting with that M1a you need softpoint or Hp ammo by state law. I've used my FAL 2 years in a row and you can block your 20 rounders using the kid's LEGGO blocks. that's what I do.

Incedently FP1201 and Georgestrings were talking about a black rifle hunt this year if you're game ?

I already have a 5 rd mag for the M1A, just haven't range-tested it yet.I also have a couple boxes of Remington 150gr SP .308 just waiting for testing...I would probably use my Bush rifle topped with an Aimpoint...

I could be talked into a black rifle hunt with you gentlemen. Sounds like fun
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:50:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'm not aware of any restrictions on types of ammo.  Do you have a link to where that's defined. TIA
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've taken deer with my HK91 with just crappy old Remington hunting ammo.

Aimless - Rem CORELOKT is GREAT deer round especially in .30-30, .35 REM etc. Lotsa soft EXPOSED lead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top