Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 1:56:36 PM EDT
    I am looking to purchase a pre ban as my first AR and after reading the NY AWB the Colt AR-15 is specifically named in the law as a banned firearm.  Is it grandfathered if it was manufactured in 1993 even though it is specifically namedhave

Please help a  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
A named assault weapon like a Colt AR-15 is your best preban to possess in NY because it is easily verifiable as a banned assault weapon.  Even if it is transferred as a stripped receiver it will always retain its preban status.  Do yourself a favor and call Colt customer service and ask them to verify the serial number with the date it was shipped from the factory and that it is a preban rifle. You should also consider having Colt document the rifle for you in writing.  They will charge you a fee for that service though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:27:00 AM EDT
[#3]
How about currently available Semi Auto AR-15 clones? like Ameetec Arms General Carbine A3? the law specifies no "copies or duplicates". Does this mean that no one in NY owns a new AR-15 style weapon chambered in .223?

UpstateNYer
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:42:52 AM EDT
[#4]
In NY a semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine is limited to one feature. This almost always is the pistol grip on a AR-15 type rifle.  That means you cannot install or configure the rifle with a flash suppressor, bayo lug or collapsible stock.  Other then that there are no other restrictions.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:48:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Sure you can own or buy a new AR, it just has to be "post-ban". This means that it must have only
two features which usually are the pistol grip and the detachable magazine. No bayonet lug, flash
suppressor allowed. I'm sure the rules are somewhere on this site.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#6]
You can only have one feature in NYS for a semiautomatic rifle with a detachable magazine.  A detachable magazine is not a feature.  If the rifle is not a semiautomatic with a detachable magazine it is not regulated under the NYS AWB and the additional feature test does not apply.

1. Pistol Grip or

2. Flash Suppressor or

3. Collapsible Stock or

4. Grenade Launcher or

5. Bayonet Mount

6. Threaded barrel
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]
If that's the case, wonderful! I've been looking at them for a while and I've read the law front to back regarding the evil features, I'm just wondering how everyone's getting around the AR-15 and "all copies and duplicates" being a specifically named banned weapon.

UpstateNYer
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:52:30 AM EDT
[#8]
There is nothing "to get around."  It was determed many years ago that rifles configured with only one feature that were not a named assault weapon are not semiautomatic assault weapons as defined by the now expired  Federal AWB.  New York AWB is a mirror of the Federal AWB and if a rifle was legal under the Federal ban the rifle is legal under the NYS ban.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top