Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2004 4:04:39 AM EDT
Are SBR's banned in NY...or can you do the paperwork and hook one up....I'm in Westchester and not NYC....
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:30:32 AM EDT
[#1]
No class 3 in NY, Yes SBRs are banned in NY.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#2]
crap....
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey user426,

Where in Westchester are you?  I'm in North Salem and looking for a good place to buy rifles and shoot in the area.  any thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey user426,

Where in Westchester are you?  I'm in North Salem and looking for a good place to buy rifles and shoot in the area.  any thoughts?

South Salem.....we're neighbors.....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#6]
No SBR's but short barreled shotguns classified under the NFA as AOW's are legal in NY if you can get your CLEO to sign off on it.  It is classified as a firearm and must be registered on your pistol permit.  It is the only gun other then a handgun which can be legally be carried loaded in a MV.

Are you looking for a stocking dealer or someone who can order something for you and/or do transfers?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]

You're kidding!?! We have Arfcommers in Westchester now? I thought all the NY members lived on the Island or upstate......

We're here and spreading the word.......we shoot pistols almost every Monday night at the Ramapo gun club in Ridgefield CT.....and every weekend at Wooster MT in Danbury...
Join us....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No SBR's but short barreled shotguns classified under the NFA as AOW's are legal in NY if you can get your CLEO to sign off on it.  It is classified as a firearm and must be registered on your pistol permit.  It is the only gun other then a handgun which can be legally be carried loaded in a MV.

Are you looking for a stocking dealer or someone who can order something for you and/or do transfers?

Could you elaborate on this??  I understood no short barrelled shotguns.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#9]
An AOW shotgun is not a SBR shotgun since it has no stock and is not a shoulder fired weapon.  It is my understanding that if you can get a CLEO sign-off in your county of residence you can get an NFA AOW tax stamp and register it as a handgun on your NYS pistola permit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Robertesq1:

There are two NYS legal AOW's that are classified as smooth bore pistols in NYS.

The ATT 8-Ball:

www.att-tactical.com/8-Ball.html

The Serbu Super Shorty:

www.serbu.com/shorty.htm
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, one learns somthing new every day.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hey user426,

Brewster here .... what are you looking to buy ?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You're kidding!?! We have Arfcommers in Westchester now? I thought all the NY members lived on the Island or upstate......

We're here and spreading the word.......we shoot pistols almost every Monday night at the Ramapo gun club in Ridgefield CT.....and every weekend at Wooster MT in Danbury...
Join us....

I can be found at Wooster almost every weekend , always looking for someone to shoot with .
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#16]
WoW....my crew is there almost every Sunday....planning on a trip this Sunday...weather permitting....let's meet.....email me at      [email protected]

still looking for a preban lower.....at a decent price....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Aimless we've handled a couple in Albany.  Guys who do security work were able to get the sign-offs from the CLEO.  Not sure if Joe Average can get the sign off.

I've heard, and I'm not sure if true for NYS, that you can skip the CLEO signoff if the AOW is registered by a corporation. So in other words, if you own a company you can skip the CLEO signoff. BUT, if the company is ever desolved you must get rid of the AOW.

Anyone know if this is true for New York State?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:03:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
An AOW shotgun is not a SBR shotgun since it has no stock and is not a shoulder fired weapon.  It is my understanding that if you can get a CLEO sign-off in your county of residence you can get an NFA AOW tax stamp and register it as a handgun on your NYS pistola permit.

I saw someone else (or probably you) mention this before, have you seen anyone do it? I'm just curious as I really don't have a burning desire for one of those.

Yeah, dat be me.

No I've not considered it because of the carry concealed requirement. Since the only advantage is legal carry in a motor vehicle what am I supposed to do with it when I get out of the MV? I refuse to leave a firearm unattended in a MV.

It's easier to just get a pistol grip Winchester Defender with an 18" barrel with no NFA and NYS registration.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
WoW....my crew is there almost every Sunday....planning on a trip this Sunday...weather permitting....let's meet.....email me at      [email protected]

Hey User426

Your E-mail is bouncing back to me  .  Weather looks OK for this Sunday
I'll there around 2 pm and try for one of the green benches
to the far right side and I usually have on a black Mac tools hat .

I was hoping to be shooting my new green Wilson Combat UT-15AQ , but it
looks like I wont see it till next week . So I'm not sure what I'll bring along ,
but be sure it will be something that would put a knot in Feinstein's knickers

C Ya there if you make it .
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:45:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey User426

Your E-mail is bouncing back to me  .  Weather looks OK for this Sunday
I'll there around 2 pm and try for one of the green benches
to the far right side and I usually have on a black Mac tools hat .

I was hoping to be shooting my new green Wilson Combat UT-15AQ , but it
looks like I wont see it till next week . So I'm not sure what I'll bring along ,
but be sure it will be something that would put a knot in Feinstein's knickers

C Ya there if you make it .

Got your email's...see you Sunday....I'll have my RED AR...so you can't miss me....We might shoot some trap....but it looks real breezy....but that's more challenging....
see ya there...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top