Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 7:27:15 AM EDT
In light of the recent posts about the possible NJ mag rules change, I have been attempting to design a way to either limit the 20 or 30 round mags to a permanent 15 round capacity, or increase the 10 round mags to 15.  

Upon careful calculations of: where to place the limiters; size of the blocks; type of material; where to cut the post-ban mags; how to make them temporary/permanent; and after 9 years and 352 days, I stumbled upon a way to put 15 rounds into a 10 round magazine.  It probably has been done before, but I have not seen it posted.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is provided to AR15.com Users. While I take every effort to present accurate, and reliable information on this Internet site, I do not endorse, approve or certify such information, nor do I guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness or correct sequencing of such information. Use of such information is voluntary, and reliance on it should only be undertaken after an independent review of its accuracy, completeness, efficacy and timeliness. Reference herein to any specific commercial product, copyrighted material, process or service by trade name, trademark, service mark, manufacturer or otherwise does not constitute or imply endorsement, recommendation or favoring by me. I assume no responsibility for consequences resulting from the use of the information herein, or in any respect for the content of such information, including, but not limited to, errors or omissions, the accuracy or reasonableness of factual or scientific assumptions, studies or conclusions, the defamatory nature of statements, ownership of copyright or other intellectual property rights, and the violation of property, privacy or personal rights of others. I am not responsible for, and expressly disclaim all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on such information. No guarantees or warranties, including, but not limited to, any express or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, are made by me with respect to such information.

Granted, this method is not the greatest, nor the most desirable, but all indications show that it might work.  The post-ban magazine is designed to limit the capacity to 10 rounds by indenting the sides.  This does nothing to limit the follower, due to it's modifications.  I originally had thought  that the 5.56mm NATO single stacked once it hit the indents, but upon recently acquiring a 5 round AR mag, I discovered that once the rounds hit this area, it does not load any further.  I was wondering why the .50Beowulf with a case diameter of .543, slides past the indents, but not the 5.56mm NATO with a case diameter of .376.  I believe that if enough force is applied, it will pass it, but this would be detrimental to the structure of the mag and ammo.  

So I did the following...

Pull the spring out of the mag bottom, just enough to take off all but a little spring pressure.  Begin loading the magazine while pulling out the spring at the same time.  The little spring pressure keeps the follower and rounds straight and allows the 5.56 rounds to jump past the indents with ease.  Load 15 rounds into the magazine body, then push the spring back into the body and replace the floor plate.

I have not fired the rounds using this method, so I do not know if they would be reliable.  And due to the time it takes one to load them, it would only benefit one who stores loaded mags or one who loads many prior to going to the range.  

Has anyone tried this?  I do not believe that it is unlawful at this time, and definitely will not be in 13 days.  Flame away!!!

BTW: I used Armalite mags.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Has anyone tried this?  I do not believe that it is unlawful at this time, and definitely will not be in 13 days.  Flame away!!!

Doesn't NJ have a permanent AW ban?  And yes, the activity you're describing is ILLEGAL.  Dumbass.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I also have  couple of armalite mags that are 20 body's but mysteriously only hold 10 - IT's definitely the spring pressure, but as noted, these are all post-ban mags and NJ has no such thing as pre-ban.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't NJ have a permanent AW ban?  And yes, the activity you're describing is ILLEGAL.  Dumbass.

Yo dude.  Back off!! NJ's limit is 15 rounds and yes, it is permanent for 15 rounds.  Putting 15 rounds in a 10 rounder is not illegal.  The magazine is not being converted.  It is not being modified in any way.  If it is illegal, then quote me the law that says this.  The magazines were legally manufactured after 9/14/94.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I also have  couple of armalite mags that are 20 body's but mysteriously only hold 10 - IT's definitely the spring pressure, but as noted, these are all post-ban mags and NJ has no such thing as pre-ban.

The only thing majorly different about the 10s is the extra indentations on the bodies.  Once the federal ban goes away, you will be able to legally convert your 10 round AR mags to 15.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yo dude.  Back off!! NJ's limit is 15 rounds and yes, it is permanent for 15 rounds.  Putting 15 rounds in a 10 rounder is not illegal.  The magazine is not being converted.  It is not being modified in any way.  If it is illegal, then quote me the law that says this.  The magazines were legally manufactured after 9/14/94.

The problem, at least until 9/13/04, is that a post ban (non-leo) mags can only hold ten (10) rounds. Modifing a post ban mag to hold more than ten (10) rounds is a violation of federal law.

After 9/13/04 you can experiment all you want.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Convert 10 rd AR mags to 15? HOW ?

Ben
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:43:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I have seen followers that make the AR15 30 rd mags into single sta, but cant remember where I saw them. Does any one know where to get them and if they will cut down the # of rds to 15 in a 30 rd or 20 rd mag?  Also if you add these followers is it considered a legal 15 rd mag?

LMK
thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:55:29 AM EDT
[#8]
The followers themselves won't restrict the capacity, it is the mag design that does.  I believe that the single round followers you refer to are HERE and HERE
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:01:12 AM EDT
[#9]
It soundslike what you're doing is going to over-compress the spring in the mag.  If you leave it sitting like that, eventually the spring is going to set like that and you'll have a ruined mag spring.  Mag springs are made to be compressed to a certain point (the point they are at when the mag is at maximum capacity) and compressing them anymore than that damages them and they lose their ability to deceompress much much faster than they do through normal use.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:09:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Somebody posted a "how to" on converting the 10 rd Bushmaster mags to accept more than 10 rds....Anybody remember that thread? Anybody have the step by steps to do it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brain fart, I had it in my head backwards.  Sorry!  but you are a dumbass
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top