Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 7:18:36 AM EDT
So it seems me and it least one other ar15comer are moving back to ny, Nassau county for me.

Nassau pistol permit holders, how long did it take you from the time you picked up that blue covered textbook from the Mineola PD HQ, till the time you had the permit in your hands?

Police interviews/interrogation -anyone get put under the light bad?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Moved from NYC to Nassau cty. a few years back. Had all my paperwork transfered from NYPD to NPD, well in advance. The new pistol permit was given to me no problem, almost immediately. And to top it off it was a limited carry permit (to and from range).

I would call up/go there. Get all necessary forms, ask all questions ahead of time. Should be no problem.

Just DO NOT PASS THE WHITE LINE AT THE DOOR UNTIL THEY SAY TO COME INSIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Just DO NOT PASS THE WHITE LINE AT THE DOOR UNTIL THEY SAY TO COME INSIDE
You noticed that sign also, huh, lol- I saw a guy practically "rodney kinged" for crossing the line, turns out he didnt dpeak English, they really dont want you to cross that line...

I am going to be in LongBeach this week. I am going to stop into Mineola HQ and ask their advice as suggested, makes perfect sense. Last time I went in there, I must admit I was indimidated a little bit, the female cop was trying to imply I was wasting my time... I was a little younger, nieve, back than and know how to handle them now in my late 20's .

However, being that getting a pistol permit in the confines of NYC is next to impossible, you must have beenn green lighted somehow, or they decided to be nice since you were moving within state.

Still sounds to easy - Are you L.E. or Former L.E. ?  Thanks for the info though.

where are the horror stories now?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Pistol Permit if very much possible to get in NYC. It only requires about $400 and 8 months or so, as well as membership at a shooting club (we've got a few here, actually). It's CCW that's impossible unless you drive up in a Lamborghini, and even then they give you a hard time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#4]
3 months from the time I put my papers in. I did not find have any problems at all getting my permit. Trying to keep it is another story.......
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#5]
6 months total, did it just this year.
During the last month they phoned me,  why did I want it,  where would I secure them,
and did my wife know and then the officer spoke to her to confirm she was OK with it.
I was basically bemused, as I have been doing background investigations for 'uncle' since
1984 and would have done things in a slightly different manner, but hey, except for waiting
I have no complaints whatsoever and each guy or gal I have spoken to (3 different pistols so far)
has been nicer than the next.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Andreuha:Pistol Permit if very much possible to get in NYC. It only requires about $400 and 8 months or so, as well as membership at a shooting club (we've got a few here, actually).

That is a shocker to me - I am a go between.Life long NY'er - Grew up in western nassau and manhattan (divorced parents )

Will they issue nyc pistol permit  to a nassau resident, could you direct me to some of the clubs? - I remember going to  one range on 14th, they rented .22 lr, and I remember the gun store in chinatown, beyond that I always thought you needed connections  to get permited to have any arms in the 5 boroughs.

pequa1: 6 months total, did it just this year.
During the last month they phoned me, why did I want it, where would I secure them,
and did my wife know and then the officer spoke to her to confirm she was OK with it.
I was basically bemused, as I have been doing background investigations for 'uncle' since
1984 and would have done things in a slightly different manner, but hey, except for waiting
I have no complaints whatsoever and each guy or gal I have spoken to (3 different pistols so far)
has been nicer than the next.

-

thanks for the info, that sounds semi reasonable. The part that is really is going to piss me off is when I pay $50 to ffl everyone of my handguns an hour away.  I am about 6 months from my move, hopefully Nassau PD will work with me and issue me a premises permit at my mother's house within the timeframe.

Ill let everyone know how i make out in Mineola -  

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, here's the place I got my hunters safety taken care of:
www.metrorgc.com
They've basically have a meeting room, a basement shooting range, and something like 850ac of land upstate to hunt. About 10 minutes from F-train, Bergen st. stop if you'd rather take a train than drive.
Membership was somewhere around $350 as of last year when I took the hunters ed class (going back for the archery class in a week).
Oh, and you've gotta be 21 to join.

Edit:
Oh, and, duh... No non-resident permits for anything in NYC.

I'd personally recommend against making any move firearm wise to NYC, with the exception of pistol permit and CCW if you can pay your way in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Edit:
Oh, and, duh... No non-resident permits for anything in NYC.

I'd personally recommend against making any move firearm wise to NYC, with the exception of pistol permit and CCW if you can pay your way in.

You do not need to be a NYC resident to get either a handgun or rifle/shotgun permit in NYC.  Why anyone would want to is beyond me unless you're getting a NYC carry permit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am about 6 months from my move, hopefully Nassau PD will work with me and issue me a premises permit at my mother's house within the timeframe.

Ill let everyone know how i make out in Mineola -  

Why would you want a premises permit. You can't even take it to the range.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Nassau's termanology - I meant to say  premises/target permit  -  I want it to be a CCW permit.

Up here in America, I can pretty much carry my pistol anywhere, if I get pulled over I don't have to draw the cops a map to the range i was enroute to.

Andreuha - thanks for the info, but that is to much red tape b.s. to deal with. I am going to pass on the NYC permit as it seems pretty useless to me and just get my Nassau permit.

From here on in I am perpetually enroute to the range....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#12]
In NYC, Suffolk and Nassau Counties your "licensing officer" are the respective Police Departments.  In the rest of the state your licensing officer is an elected judge.  Not surprisingly those jurisdictions are the most difficult to get a unrestricted carry permit in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#13]
New York City corrections --

1. No range membership needed for any permit time (residence/target or carry)
2. No non-resident permits without demonstration of need, even for target
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Just DO NOT PASS THE WHITE LINE AT THE DOOR UNTIL THEY SAY TO COME INSIDE
You noticed that sign also, huh, lol- I saw a guy practically "rodney kinged" for crossing the line, turns out he didnt dpeak English, they really dont want you to cross that line...

I am going to be in LongBeach this week. I am going to stop into Mineola HQ and ask their advice as suggested, makes perfect sense. Last time I went in there, I must admit I was indimidated a little bit, the female cop was trying to imply I was wasting my time... I was a little younger, nieve, back than and know how to handle them now in my late 20's .

However, being that getting a pistol permit in the confines of NYC is next to impossible, you must have beenn green lighted somehow, or they decided to be nice since you were moving within state.

Still sounds to easy - Are you L.E. or Former L.E. ?  Thanks for the info though.

where are the horror stories now?

I live in Long Beach, hopefully not for long.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#15]
can you email a slice of Gino's pizza? The pizza in connecticut sucks.

I escaped, thought i was clear.  All of my work is in NY, have to go back to the beach

Let me know if you see any west end bungalows on the EE >>>>

edited: did i mention the wifey wants to go back to LB? me=
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
can you email a slice of Gino's pizza? The pizza in connecticut sucks.

I escaped, thought i was clear.  All of my work is in NY, have to go back to the beach

Let me know if you see any west end bungalows on the EE >>>>

edited: did i mention the wifey wants to go back to LB? me=

The one thing I will miss is Gino's pizza and bagels, but I'll get over it.

My bungalow on the west end will be for sale by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:02:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why don't you like Long Beach?  I spend time in the West End during the summer.  My kids love the beach and a nearby park.  My wife is a big fan of Gino's pizza.  Just wondering why you don't like it.

MH
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Palmer - send me pics, - when you put your house up, defenitely keep me advised.

Are you on the bayside or beachside - this is a longshot, but did you happen to have your house up for sale a few years ago?

reason i ask - I took a look at a west end house, guy in his 50's-60's, dog, cigar smoker (shepard if i reccolect). and every bedroom in the house were gun vaults. This guy had at least 50 rifles in each of the 2 spare bedrooms just butted up against the wall. M1's and the like instead of furniture -

Have we met? If your that guy, Ill buy your house and a M1 !  

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't you like Long Beach?  I spend time in the West End during the summer.  My kids love the beach and a nearby park.  My wife is a big fan of Gino's pizza.  Just wondering why you don't like it.

MH

Well, I want out of NY altogether,  my wife is the only one holding us in NY. She wants out too, but her whole family is here. She has a couple of Aunts and cousins in FLA, but her mom, sisters, brothers and nephews are up here.
We have lived on the west end of LB for seven years now, we bought our first house, the one we live in now, two years ago on the west end. We are just fed up with the neighborhood, it's too crowded, the houses are on top of each other, no yards , no parking, the drunks from the bars screaming at 4am, breaking bottles, pissing in front of the houses. It's a great place to visit, but we don't want to live here anymore. It's one thing to have a summer house here and coming just for the summer, but it's a different story to live here all year round.
And to top it off, I've got a latin king member right next door, who I "had a talking to". I have a drug dealer across the street and the other day, a lady who lives on the block tells me she has hepatitis

I could go on, but.................
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Palmer - send me pics, - when you put your house up, defenitely keep me advised.

Are you on the bayside or beachside - this is a longshot, but did you happen to have your house up for sale a few years ago?

reason i ask - I took a look at a west end house, guy in his 50's-60's, dog, cigar smoker (shepard if i reccolect). and every bedroom in the house were gun vaults. This guy had at least 50 rifles in each of the 2 spare bedrooms just butted up against the wall. M1's and the like instead of furniture -

Have we met? If your that guy, Ill buy your house and a M1 !  

LOL, no that was not me. I bought my house two years ago, I'm on the bay block and used to have a shepherd. I have never had my house up for sale......yet.

They are getting ridiculas amount of money for these houses, I had real estate in and they told me they would list it for $380000.00 and that she would have it sold within four weeks for $370000.00. I thought we paid too much two years ago at $215000.00. Apparently, they are building a "super block" along the boardwalk in the next few years. It's supposed to have a big park, swanky hotels, ritzy restaurants, stores, etc, and alot of Manhattan and out of state people are buying houses on the west and east ends of LB.

I'll still send a pick if you want.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
LOL, no that was not me.

Phew - That dude looked like Michael Douglas in the last 20 minutes of falling down -

Wifey and I walk in with a broker, he's just hangin out havin a cigar on the porch, says go in look around. Me wifey, and female broker start the tour - The girls didnt even notice the rifles - they are pointing to windows and molding until I told them both to look down - wifey was fine, the broker was a tough israeli broad and she shrugged it off like nothing while i just drooled over this guys guns -

I remember he had 15 m1 gurands, original ww2 issue in realy good shape just lined in a row.
He had 2 repeaters, no furniture mind you, just guns leaned up against the walls. Had to be a Korean War Vet guessing from age and the usual trophies - no AR's mind you, lol.

I better shut up now or that Latin King next doormight break into this guys house, wait - that might take care of one neighbor

All the westend places we looked at are being listed 299  to 420 - . The 400 and up houses were all double deckers or had garages, double lot, or something that added a premium to it. Im going to PM you a link from my broker for a $349k listing (has address) - its a petrey listing, those guys get alot of west end exclusives, at least you can par it up to your place  - i dont trust brokers

Anyways - ill include my email  in the PM -  When you guys are getting closer to finalizing your move, send me an email and a pic.

We are renting our house in CT right now, going month to month, taking our time on the new house search -  

STAY AWAY FROM THAT SKANK ON YOUR BLOCK W/ the HEP - call the health dept or else

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Palmer wrote:

Well, I want out of NY altogether, my wife is the only one holding us in NY. She wants out too, but her whole family is here. She has a couple of Aunts and cousins in FLA, but her mom, sisters, brothers and nephews are up here.
We have lived on the west end of LB for seven years now, we bought our first house, the one we live in now, two years ago on the west end. We are just fed up with the neighborhood, it's too crowded, the houses are on top of each other, no yards , no parking, the drunks from the bars screaming at 4am, breaking bottles, pissing in front of the houses. It's a great place to visit, but we don't want to live here anymore. It's one thing to have a summer house here and coming just for the summer, but it's a different story to live here all year round.
And to top it off, I've got a latin king member right next door, who I "had a talking to". I have a drug dealer across the street and the other day, a lady who lives on the block tells me she has hepatitis

I rented a place on Connecticut last summer, this year we are on Georgia, bayside for each house.  I came down here as a kid in the late sixties/early seventies.

Just got back from Gino's, had a nice family dinner.  

We might be looking to buy something in the near future.  I agree about the future of Long Beach.  The boardwalk will boom and prices will continue to rise.

I like fishing from the surf, but this month has been terrible.  September should be better, just in time for me to go home.

Marty
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
LOL, no that was not me.

Phew - That dude looked like Michael Douglas in the last 20 minutes of falling down -

Wifey and I walk in with a broker, he's just hangin out havin a cigar on the porch, says go in look around. Me wifey, and female broker start the tour - The girls didnt even notice the rifles - they are pointing to windows and molding until I told them both to look down - wifey was fine, the broker was a tough israeli broad and she shrugged it off like nothing while i just drooled over this guys guns -

I remember he had 15 m1 gurands, original ww2 issue in realy good shape just lined in a row.
He had 2 repeaters, no furniture mind you, just guns leaned up against the walls. Had to be a Korean War Vet guessing from age and the usual trophies - no AR's mind you, lol.

I better shut up now or that Latin King next doormight break into this guys house, wait - that might take care of one neighbor

All the westend places we looked at are being listed 299  to 420 - . The 400 and up houses were all double deckers or had garages, double lot, or something that added a premium to it. Im going to PM you a link from my broker for a $349k listing (has address) - its a petrey listing, those guys get alot of west end exclusives, at least you can par it up to your place  - i dont trust brokers

Anyways - ill include my email  in the PM -  When you guys are getting closer to finalizing your move, send me an email and a pic.

We are renting our house in CT right now, going month to month, taking our time on the new house search -  

STAY AWAY FROM THAT SKANK ON YOUR BLOCK W/ the HEP - call the health dept or else

Did you ask him if any M1's were for sale? I might have knock on his door, knock knock "excuse me, are you selling any M1's"

The guy who lives next to me is a WWII veteran, it's his summer house only, I figured I would show him my M1 Garand to bring back memories. But, he didn't seem too interested, we talked about it for a while and He said he was in a communication division, he didn't see any combat and they carried carbines, not M1's.

I sent you an IM too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Palmer wrote:

Well, I want out of NY altogether, my wife is the only one holding us in NY. She wants out too, but her whole family is here. She has a couple of Aunts and cousins in FLA, but her mom, sisters, brothers and nephews are up here.

I rented a place on Connecticut last summer, this year we are on Georgia, bayside for each house.  I came down here as a kid in the late sixties/early seventies.

Just got back from Gino's, had a nice family dinner.  

We might be looking to buy something in the near future.  I agree about the future of Long Beach.  The boardwalk will boom and prices will continue to rise.

I like fishing from the surf, but this month has been terrible.  September should be better, just in time for me to go home.

Marty

Gino's is excellent, pizza on the west end sucks!

I actually don't think this super block thing will kick off, not in my lifetime anyway.

You know, all this time living here and I've never surf fished!  What do you use? Of coarse a pole and reel, but what bait and rig do you use?  I gotto give it a whirl!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Palmer:

I use a clam rig and a 4 ounce sinker.  Last July I caught a few stripped bass from the beach.  Tough going this year.

Marty
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Palmer:

I use a clam rig and a 4 ounce sinker.  Last July I caught a few stripped bass from the beach.  Tough going this year.

Marty

I'll give it a go next week!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top