Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 3:51:47 AM EDT
Hey guys, I'm currently working on a project to arm about 20 of my fellow coworkers, but I'm running into an obstacle.  It seems that the boss requires us to have some sort of firearms training (on paper) in order to sign off on the business/carry permits.  What I need is a course that will teach unlicensed  citizens how to fire and safely handle a firearm.  Does anyone know who would hold such a service?  

Keep in mind, this isn't the Blackwater kind of crew, so don't even suggest it. (Wave)  It MUST be local it MUST be inexpensive and it MUST be female friendly.

Hit me with your suggestions!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:59:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say, bro, that you need to send your folks to LFI, Gunsite, or a similar training school.  Alternatively, Pat Rogers is in your area, and is a retired NYPD and Marine Corps multiple gunfight vet, in addition to being a Gunsite instructor and he has his own firm, E.A.G.  He would probably be your best bet to get professional training that's relevant to NY, legally speaking.

If they won't expend $400-500 per person on training, you might want to reexamine how much support you have there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:27:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll check around B-

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:29:14 AM EDT
[#3]
There's a course in connecticut some of my friends are going to soon... I'll find out more info.

Is your boss hiring?
Seriously.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:54:45 AM EDT
[#4]
He takes the bull by the horns and turns NY on its head.

Have you checked with the NRA they do ALOT of training.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Seems like you should be able to find some kind of help from these guys,
www.lipsa.net/, good luck!
Wow, that Balzac, he's a living breathing testamony to the second ammendment! Yeah, he's my hero!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#6]
How local? I could probably put a course together for you by a DCJS certified PD instructor if you are willing to travel 1.5 hours from SC.

Have you talked to anyone in the SCPD Firearms Training Unit?  I think they would be willing to put a course together for you using their facilities.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#7]
B-

You have IM.

Lion_dog
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd think the NRA would jump on this opportunity

Quoted:
Have you checked with the NRA they do ALOT of training.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#9]
James Dinan School in Patchogue.....Look him up
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There's a course in connecticut some of my friends are going to soon... I'll find out more info.

Is your boss hiring?
Seriously.

Do you want to go to law school and become an ADA?

Thanks for the responses guys.  Now I have some solid leads to chase!

And no, I'm not even willing to take a $400-500 course.  We're not paid much and that's some serious cash for something that most are only somewhat interested in.  We need MINIMAL evidence that we know how to handle a gun, then they approve the permits and then the detectives will be willing to work with us (them really) on weekends.  Apparently its a big group excercise and was very popular.  

But no, I don't think most would be willing to spend that much, even me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Consider taking a NRA Pistol Safety Class out of state since New York requires a pistol permit in order to fire a handgun at a range.  Check out the NRA website for safety courses by state.  You may want to consider Connecticut;

www.valleyfirearms.com    and     www.bridgeportshootingrange.com   are two examples of places in Connecticut that offer a NRA Pistol Safety Class and live fire exercises.  I think the Bridgeport shooting range offers live fire on the same day as the class.  You may want to check this out.

I know Connecticut is accessible by ferries from Long Island but I don't know if these ferries can carry vehicles.  Maybe you can find a place in Connecticut that is close to a ferry.  Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:34:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Consider taking a NRA Pistol Safety Class out of state since New York requires a pistol permit in order to fire a handgun at a range.  Check out the NRA website for safety courses by state.

Just an FYI. The Penal Law was changed in 2000 so that is no longer true.  There are now exceptions for someone who has applied for a pistol permit and for 18-20 year olds to shoot at a range under the supervision of an instructor or other permit holder.

CT is handgun friendly compared to NY though. My son who was 12 at the time went through a pistol course given by a local CT PD on the police range.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top