Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 11:06:16 AM EDT
I was walking to Lou at LRB about my move to Jersey and the fact that handgun licences are cheaper there and we got into discussion over which state I should get a driver's license for in terms of getting a pistol permit for that state.  Well, I found ou tI don't NEED to do that!!!!  Jersey issues FID's to non-residents!! YES!  So it looks like I'll be at calverton every sunday (not fort dix) with my NY-legal assault weapons (kept in NY of course) while I rent in NJ with a few handguns and shotguns for meeself!  SHWEET.

From packing.org

BEGIN QUOTE
"
From the NJSP
You may bring a handgun into NJ under these circumstances:

(1) To go target shooting for the day, with friends, or by oneself. That presumes acting within the law. Gun locked in box in trunk, ammo locked separate. If the vehicle lacks a trunk, gun locked up and ammo also locked up. Only a direct route to the place of shooting and back to your home. Don't wander around, or linger with the gun in the trunk.

(2) You may bring a handgun without a permit to NJ such as when renting in the state if you have a certain purpose.

He made the distinction between casually throwing the gun in the trunk to go visit Grandma (NOT ALLOWED), and a person renting in NJ who brings along their gun for target shooting while renting in the state. Again, locked in trunk, arrive at the rental dwelling, secure gun inside. Only take outside to go to the place of shooting and return home. West Trenton @ 609-882-2000 if you want to call and confirm yourself.

SPECIAL CONSIDERATION: Some NJ residents here on this board insist that non-residents who want to bring guns into NJ should have a NJ Firearms ID card? After recently speaking to Attorney Evan Nappen for two hours about NJ, I too now am inclined to agree. Attorney Nappen advocates it because it provides a positive means for a police officer to establish that you are a law abiding citizen. That's because the process is very intrusive and a little expensive, but the card is good for life, with no additional costs.

Non-residents must apply at a NJSP Barracks near you (no roadways, GSP, TPK etc.) There, you would fill out a form for a background check, allow a mental health check, and provide two references who would definitely be contacted about your character. The Sergeant handling firearms would then fingerprint you. There is a fee of $72.00 that must be paid at that time. Once all your paperwork comes back, the Sergeant would call you to come pick up the card(right thumb print applied to the back) and you sign it in front of the officer.

Whew! Not saying it's fair, sane, morally right, or Constitutional, only giving the message. That's NJ for you folks?

"
END QUOTE
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Under Federal law you must be a resident of NJ in order to have a handgun transferred to you in NJ.  You can establish residency in multiple states but at the time the transfer is made you must be a resident of NJ. An FFL is not going to transfer a handgun to you if your NJ FID card indicates that you are a NY resident.  

Since you cannot bring your handguns back to NY without a NYS PP it would make more sense to get a NY permit and a NJ FID card.  That would cover you in both states.  Then again maybe I don't understand exactly what you want to accomplish.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
RKBAR tzodek (hebrew for you're right)
I understand what you mean.  I just went for a run to clear my head, adn I figured that out too!e.g. I wold still not be able to have a "handgun" in NJ without a permit.  Nonetheless, I decided to pony up the cash and go with a pistol permit in both NJ and nassau county.  

Although that was a very important point, rkbar, my excitement was due to the fact that NJ issues out-of-state permits.  I thought I was gonna have to choose one state to be aresident in / own guns in, etc.  I am gonna be living in NJ (bad neighborhood) so I want just a pistol or shotgun, but I am still going to do most/all of my shooting at Calverton.  So that settles that.  Now I just have to find two  "reputable" friends as references.

Whats the best state police shop for an out-of-state permit in NJ?????
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
RKBAR tzodek (hebrew for you're right)
I understand what you mean.  I just went for a run to clear my head, adn I figured that out too!e.g. I wold still not be able to have a "handgun" in NJ without a permit.  Nonetheless, I decided to pony up the cash and go with a pistol permit in both NJ and nassau county.  

Although that was a very important point, rkbar, my excitement was due to the fact that NJ issues out-of-state permits.  I thought I was gonna have to choose one state to be aresident in / own guns in, etc.  I am gonna be living in NJ (bad neighborhood) so I want just a pistol or shotgun, but I am still going to do most/all of my shooting at Calverton.  So that settles that.  Now I just have to find two  "reputable" friends as references.

Whats the best state police shop for an out-of-state permit in NJ?????

you DO know what seventeen levels of hell you're going to be subjected to if you ever shoot someone in New Jersey, don't you?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Why.....
I am going to have a NY pistol permit, NJ pistol permit and NJ FID.....

What's the big deal?  And if i ever HAD to shoot someone, it would be buckshot, not 9mm
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]
You'd better spend an hour with Mr. Nappen before you start making statements like that.  One reason (of many) that I escaped that sewer of a state is that self-defense is a concept that is barely recognized there.

Having your nine-year-old daughter gang-raped on the hood of a lowrider with fifty screaming vatos cheering it on MIGHT give you justification to consider getting a gun out of your house in NJ.  I sure wouldn't consider it a green light to shoot, though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya got cold feet yet, Chapperjoe ?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I do not think you can have a NJ and a Nassau County Permit at the same time.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#8]

I do not think you can have a NJ and a Nassau County Permit at the same time.

From NJ state police:
How do you obtain a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or a Permit to Purchase a Handgun?

You must apply at your local police department. If you do not have a local police department or you are an out of state resident, you must apply at the nearest New Jersey State Police station (excluding toll roads, stations on the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and Atlantic City Expressway).

Acc. to Nassau county law I must cancel or transfer a license if I quote relocate outside of nassau county unquote.  After reading the entire document, it seems that this refers to a change of primary address.  

I am renting an apartment that I might/will be staying at 3 or 4 nights a week.  I will still very much be a resident at my home address for all intents and purposes, mainly legal.  For if I wasn't then I couldn't get a NY pistol permit.  New York does not issue out-of-state licenses.  New Jersey does.  HENCE, if I keep my NYS drivers license I can have both a NJ pistol permit and a NAssau County pistol permit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#9]
HEY Chapper, are you coming down to the Blast this Saturday ?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#10]
NYS can't restrict where you maintain additional residences for any purpose.  You can have as many residences as you want whether it be an out of state vacation home, school, employment, extended vacation, snow bird etc. You can only have one domicile  and that is where you always intend to return to, where you are registered to vote and for Federal income tax purposes.  Your domicile will be NYS.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#11]
RKBAR - thanks for the clarification.
I have confirmed this with a gun-rights attorney in NJ as well.

What I am doing is 100% kosher.  Thanks alot for all the info.

And if I have to profess my religion one more time - - - - - - - - -

I observe the Saturday sabbath.  It's the only thing more important than my guns. (I ain't married yet)
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
RKBAR - thanks for the clarification.
I have confirmed this with a gun-rights attorney in NJ as well.

What I am doing is 100% kosher.  Thanks alot for all the info.

And if I have to profess my religion one more time - - - - - - - - -

I observe the Saturday sabbath.  It's the only thing more important than my guns. (I ain't married yet)

OK
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#13]
chapperjoe
I have not been following much of your situation, only what you have posted here, and I apologize if I am repeating what has been told to you before.  

You do know that a NJ pistol permit is only a "Permit to Purchase a Handgun" and not a permit to carry it.  You can get a "NJ Firearms Purchaser ID Card" to purchase long guns even if you are a NY resident.  I do not believe that you will be able to get a "Permit to Purchase a Handgun" as a NY resident.  In fact, I am certain of that.  

Out-of-State residents who establish temporary residency in NJ, such as in a college dormitory, can purchase handguns with NJ government issued identification and of course the "PtPaH".  This is federal law.  However, you are looking at a 3-9 month process.

Keep your NY ID and Permits and get a "NJFPIDC".
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:41:37 AM EDT
[#14]
PK90 - GREAT POINT.
I never thought abou that cause they're both on one form....
Like I said though, all I want with me is a pistol or shotgun in NJ....
Rest of my toys can stay at home in NY.

Thanks alot.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:00:26 AM EDT
[#16]
VA you are right, and ChapperJoe, North Jersey is worse. Check ifyou are on acampus you might not be allowed to have a gun there. NJ is not a gun tolerate state. The only permit is a Police ID and there are several members of the state legislature trying to take that away form us.
I am only allowed to carry one off duty weapon... if I was going to a Formal thingy and was wearing a tux, like I would...HAHAHA, I could not carry a PPK....like Bond, James Bond!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I am not on campus....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top