Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 7:20:03 AM EDT
god****t - It takes me three hours each way.  Belt is down to one lane, as is Staten Island.

What's the best way to drive during business hours?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Would it be any easier to drive through manhattan? You can drive in for free if you take the Williamsburg bridge and then out the holland tunnel to rt 78 straight to Newark.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#3]
My folks insist that Belt to SI and up to Newark would be quicker than LIE to tunnel to city to tunnel.

Both si and belt are down to one lane from 10-3.  It's ridiculous.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I would agree with yer parents under normal circumstances, but the belt sucks on even the best days. When its down to 1 lane, the manhattan route might actually be faster. You can take the LIE to the BQE south, to the Williamsburge bridge go straight on delancy to the end make a left then 1st right on broome st. Take to end-holland tunnel, then take rt 1/9 to 78 to newark. It will suck either way, but might be faster  dependiong on what time you go, and it should be better than the belt with 1 lane, and no tolls either. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Your best bet on the Belt is to hit Rockaway Parkway no later than 10:05.  They will just be starting the construction and the one lane they block off will be shorter than at say 10:30 (they'll still be putting up the cones).  I have to drive to Coney Island to get to work and that is what I've noticed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Whoo! Try Southern State to Belt. cross the Verrazano onto SIE then SIE to 440 south to OBX then onto NJTP
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:43:28 AM EDT
[#8]
OBX = worst bridge ever built.  Plus the two-laner to get there is ridiculous.  There is NEVER a reason to not take the goeathels and than turnpike it down to perth amboy instead.  

nonetheless I'm headed outta here at 8am this time.  will give after action report later.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I did well today.  Got there quick, got back a little slower and am here posting by noon
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
LIE to williamsburg or brooklyn bridge and then through the holland tunnel. total cost $0. It may be the fastest route to boot.

Best route, I do it whenever I am forced to enter the PRNJ (Peoples Republic on NJ)!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top