Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2004 5:39:48 PM EDT
I am planning my escape from the PRK next summer. Looks like I am going to end up in Long Island (near huntington) or possibly somewhere upstate. Can you give me some +'s and -'s to the gun laws in NY state. Anything I should look forward to? Any advice/help is appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
No sunsetting of the AWB here.  But still better than Kali.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]

thanks for the reply.

I realize their is massive amounts of B.S. in terms of dealing with handguns. Are their any similar laws regarding long guns?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
thanks for the reply.

I realize their is massive amounts of B.S. in terms of dealing with handguns. Are their any similar laws regarding long guns?

As long as you are not in NYC, all you need is a valid NYS drivers license to purchase long guns.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:52:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I just went through the pistol license BS in Nassau county.   Biggest complaint is the expense.  ($300 doesn't even cover it.  Suffolk and other counties are much cheaper.) I filed in late January, wasn't fingerprinted until late February, and got the license in early July.  (And I have been printed and on file for many and various DoD reasons for 30 years.)   Buying and getting them listed is fairly quick and straight forward.  $10 per purchase order, and 10 days to get the gun back to the police to have the serial number checked and added to the license.  I have already been to the Mitchell field a couple of times to fire my new acquisitions, and will get out to Calverton in September.  I am now waiting to get a recently found WWII souvenir back and added to my license as well.  The PD took a very logical and practical approach on this (well, true, they still have the pistol) and I expect the whole procedure to only leave me without the souvenir for a total of about 6 to 8 weeks, tops.  Next challenge will be trying to acquire a friends pistol.  He let his Nassau permit expire and moved to Suffolk.  Should be interesting...
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#5]
wow...thats completely rediculous. I suppose NY;s logic is "make so much of a pain in the ass to own a handgun, and few people will actually do it"
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
wow...thats completely rediculous. I suppose NY;s logic is "make so much of a pain in the ass to own a handgun, and few people will actually do it"

The cost to apply for a permit outside of NYC and Nassau County is $10 + a $99 DCJS fingerprint fee.  Each  County in NY follows their own procedure in processing the application.  There are many upstate counties where the process is less painful then Nassau and Suffolk.  If you plan on bringing in a handgun from out of state after you get a NYS PP you must have it shipped by an FFL to a NY FFL who has a NYS Handgun Dealer's License.  It's a ridiculous process to go through for a handgun you already legally possess but that is process the NYSP have in place.

Outside the cities of NYC, Albany, Buffalo and Rochester there are no licensing/registration or other restrictions on rifles/shotguns/magazine capacity.  New York has an AWB that currently mirrors the Federal AWB with the exception that it will not expire on 09-13-04.

Welcome to NY. Now you should consider moving someplace else!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:19:14 AM EDT
[#7]
as of 2000, when I got mine, Chautauqua county was still issueing unrestricted permits
however, the largest "city" there is Jamestown, around 35,000 people, and the job market isn't all that good
although my understanding is that it is legal to get a permit in the county you live in, and then move to another county and just update the address on your permit, although you'll still need to travel to the county courthouse it was issued in to add new guns. this understanding is from the fact that when I added my last handgun I changed the address on my permit and the permit clerk said nothing about having to reapply in my current county of residence
I also started a thread a long time back about moving to a different county and the consenses was that you don't have to reapply in the new county, as many members had done what I have done with no hassles
can't find a link, and it was well over 30 days ago
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Botch -

Hey -Life  Long New Yawker here.  We moved to Connecticut last year from Long Beach, Nassau county (to give everyone else an idea, go to JFK Airport and head south, you will hit  "Long Beach")

One of the major reasons we left NY  was ccw laws. Now as far as AR's & Long guns go, NY, Nassau county, is a good place to be. Unlike CT., even without a pistol permit, you can buy a long arm within 15 minutes of your atf check. In CT, there is a 3 week waiting period if you don't have a ccw permit. As pequa1 stated, there are some good places to shoot. Mitchell Field (Where Lindberg took off from) has a state run facility that allows .223. Indoors, cheap as hell, even for NY, late hours, and there are at least 50 lanes. Located right next to Nassau Colliseum, 30 minute drive from Huntington.

Quoted:
I just went through the pistol license BS in Nassau county.

It's been a few years,  we are moving back to Nassau this winter. Do they still have that blue cover textbook application? Did you get a premises/target permit? When I went down to Nassau PD to pick up my app I was told the only way to get a full conceal and carry was to get a "business owner" permit. They pretty much said full carry was "impossible to acquire so don't bother"

This entailed proving $3,000  a week minimum in cash deposits/bank drops, and more or less an interrogation by a detective. Could you let me know which type of permit you aqquired?

Wifey and I had our 25 page apps filled out, but ended up moving out of State before we even submitted them.  We have a Pistol collection now and full ccw permits up here in CT, clocks ticking, I know I am going to be stuck in Limbo for a while till i clear through the paperwork either way.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just went through the pistol license BS in Nassau county.   Biggest complaint is the expense.  ($300 doesn't even cover it.  Suffolk and other counties are much cheaper.) I filed in late January, wasn't fingerprinted until late February, and got the license in early July.  (And I have been printed and on file for many and various DoD reasons for 30 years.)   Buying and getting them listed is fairly quick and straight forward.  $10 per purchase order, and 10 days to get the gun back to the police to have the serial number checked and added to the license.  I have already been to the Mitchell field a couple of times to fire my new acquisitions, and will get out to Calverton in September.  I am now waiting to get a recently found WWII souvenir back and added to my license as well.  The PD took a very logical and practical approach on this (well, true, they still have the pistol) and I expect the whole procedure to only leave me without the souvenir for a total of about 6 to 8 weeks, tops.  Next challenge will be trying to acquire a friends pistol.  He let his Nassau permit expire and moved to Suffolk.  Should be interesting...

Amazing!

That reafirms my decision to leave NY for VA...1 safety course + 30.00 + 6 weeks = CCW oh yes, also Instant Check/No wait on all firearms statewide as of 1 July
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#10]
You're moving back to Nassau County?  You do realize it's going to cost you $598 for you and the wifey to apply for a target/hunting PP that must be renewed every 5 years ($400).  After you get your NY license your handguns must be shipped by an FFL in CT to an FFL in NY for transfer back to you.  

Nassau Pistol License Information Handbook and License Application

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I also started a thread a long time back about moving to a different county and the consenses was that you don't have to reapply in the new county, as many members had done what I have done with no hassles

Moving from one county to another county and whether they require you to transfer your records depends on the "rule" they have in each county.  If you currently have a permit that expires you must reapply in the new county and get the new permit before your old permit expires.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, 1 nra safety course, $60 and I have a full carry in 6 weeks in CT.

Although the costs are disgusting, unethical, and illegal (Thanks Senator McCarthy!), I also read about  the horror story about transfering my guns through ffl even though I am one state away.

My mother lives in Nassau, anyway to claim temporary residency until I move?

The cost makes me sick, but what are my alternatives? carry illegal when I am totally within my right to bare? CT will allow me to keep my permit if I move.

I have friends that were on Nassau PD, it is a known fact the high costs are just one check box the pols are using to keep guns away from citizens. He told me if the reviewing officer didnt like your handwriting, you get rejected, they actually study the apps for typos and erronious errors so they can reject them from the drop.

- The only people that seem to have guns in NY are the cops and criminals.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Issued for life in Chautauqua County. aren't the only ones that expire in the counties around NY City?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Moving from one county to another county and whether they require you to transfer your records depends on the "rule" they have in each county.  If you currently have a permit that expires you must reapply in the new county and get the new permit before your old permit expires.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#14]
My Nassau county license says "carry" but then is stamped "target only , to and from range" (better hope you don't get caught stopping for gas!)
Don't forget RKBAR the cost of the stupid postal money orders the county insists on as well!
Felt like I was on food stamps having to buy those...   anyway,
On the inside it says, "hunting where legal."   One of the reasons why I bought a 6" 357 was for the slight possibility I would go hunting, even though I know a 44 would be more "ethical."
(What counties upstate allow handguns for deer, anyway?)
Believe it or not, I was told I got my license fairly quickly, the clerk at T and T in Seaford where I buy most of my firearms took a year!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Issued for life in Chautauqua County. aren't the only ones that expire in the counties around NY City?

Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester have permits that expire every five years. In NYC they expire every 3 years.  The rest of the state are good for life unless revoked. The only good thing is you can bypass the NICS check for long and handguns.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My Nassau county license says "carry" but then is stamped "target only , to and from range" (better hope you don't get caught stopping for gas!)
Don't forget RKBAR the cost of the stupid postal money orders the county insists on as well!
Felt like I was on food stamps having to buy those...   anyway,
On the inside it says, "hunting where legal."   One of the reasons why I bought a 6" 357 was for the slight possibility I would go hunting, even though I know a 44 would be more "ethical."
(What counties upstate allow handguns for deer, anyway?)
Believe it or not, I was told I got my license fairly quickly, the clerk at T and T in Seaford where I buy most of my firearms took a year!

Under NYS law there are only two types of permits. Have and carry concealed and have and possess on premises. Any restrictions on your carry license are administrative in nature. The NYS Court of Appeals has ruled that a licensing officer can further restrict a concealed carry permit even though there are no such restrictions specified in the Penal Law. Apparently you are only considered a homicidal maniac when you are not on your way to the range or hunting area.  

No, I didn't include the incidental costs of photos, money orders, notary fees etc.  It's beyond me why they won't take a personal check and make you get a money order.  Do they really think anyone would give them a bad check?

AFAIK you can hunt big game in NY with a handgun whenever it is legal to hunt with a rifle.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:13:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Read you loud and clear, it's just sickening the fact I can carry anywhere now in CT., I drive 1 & 1/2 hours to Long Isalnd and now I cant carry my guns legally  unless it's to the fucking range.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#18]
It's not "illegal" to carry 24/7 with a restricted permit. These restrictions are administrative in nature and are not criminal offenses.  If you are caught carrying outside of your restrictions your licensing officer can revoke or suspend your permit or just give you a spanking.   I don't advocate you carry outside of your restrictions though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Let me get this right it will cost a Nassau CTY resident how much to renew the permit?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#20]
mag162 - nassau - stones throw of  manhattan. heres the equation: Market price of any goods and services x 50 = cost of living in the metro area, I am surprised there isnt a surcharge for wiping your ass in NYC and the surrounding burbs. Everything up here in CT. , food, gas, Gun permits, is at least 35%  cheaper than NY metro, sux, but its where my work is.

rkbar15: I am always on the way to the range, thanks for that expanded info though, I thought it was actually a chargable offence. but even that stipulation sickens me....

The bullshit just doesn't end does it?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#21]
There are a number of 24hr ranges on L.I.  They're not cheap to join but you get a key and can use them 24/7.  The L.I. crew can tell you where they are.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Its best to live any where besides NYC for NYS. If you live in upstate ny you can get a pistol and carry it and use it anywhere unlike that of NYC where you have to notify and get new paper work when ever you travel anywhere around NYC besides your own area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top