Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2004 12:09:35 PM EDT
Need some help here from anybody in Orange County NY that has a CCW or "unrestricted" pistol permit. I've had a "restricted" permit for 7 years now. I want to go ahead and apply for a CCW permit. I picked up the paperwork, but now I have to write a letter telling the judge "why" I want a CCW permit. I have to include the letter when I turn the application in.

So my questions is, what are some good reasons I should use? I've heard that putting "it's my 2nd Ammendment right" or "self defense" are NOT good ones to use. I was thinking of stating that I need it so I can shoot IDPA/IPSC in PA and CT.

So firing off some more!
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Who is the judge?  If it is DeRosa you should not have any problem.  Anyway, let those who have CCWs in Orange County chime in since this is info that I would like to have for future reference.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#2]
E-mail [email protected].  He may be able to help you.

His website:  www.ocshooters.com/
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The judge that signed my current permit is Stewart Rosenwasser. So I'm assuming that the CCW permit will also go through him? Is that how it works? Has anyone got any infor on Rosenwasser?
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
E-mail [email protected].  He may be able to help you.

His website:  www.ocshooters.com/

I will check out the site and send him an email. What's the info on ocshooter.com? How can he help?
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, I just fired off an email to ocshooter. I'll let you know what he recommends. Anyone else with ideas or previous experience on this ????
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not sure if he can advise you or not.  He is an OC resident and firearms instructor and is very familiar with the judges, OCSD and the pistol permit process in OC.  He advises everyone to apply for an unrestricted license in OC.

Link Posted: 8/4/2004 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I spent some time last night reading through his website. VERY good info there, I think I had seen it awhile ago but had completely forgotten about it. I bookmarked it this time.

Hopefully he'll have some suggestions. I'll let everyone know what he recommends.

PS> rkbar15....THANKS for the info on ocshooter.com!
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, he has a lot of good info on his site but it sometimes takes you a little while to find what you're looking for.

I find it easier to use the site index: www.ocshooters.com/Gen/sitemap.htm
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:05:24 AM EDT
[#9]
** UPDATE **

Thought I'd post an update on this. I talked to the gentlemen that runs ocshooter.com, GREAT guy and was very helpful. He said that my judge is pretty good and that I should have no problems. So I typed up my letter with reasons being I wanted to get into IDPA and IPSC shooting. I sent everything out last week. I am holding my breath to see what happens. I'll let you know the outcome.

On another note, I also sent in the paperwork for getting a PA CCW permit. I filed the paperwork in Centre County, PA. I heard that the sheriff is very pro-guns in that county. Will let everyone know the results on that also.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Good luck. All I can say is it didnt work for me. I went to have a hearing with my judge last week. Smiled in my face and said SHE understood and would take care of it.  I recieved a letter from the court thursday and my application was denied!!!! I couldnt believe it. Let me know how you make out...Bee
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Good luck. All I can say is it didnt work for me. I went to have a hearing with my judge last week. Smiled in my face and said SHE understood and would take care of it.  I recieved a letter from the court thursday and my application was denied!!!! I couldnt believe it. Let me know how you make out...Bee

What county are you in?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:15:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What county are you in?

Uh-Oh, his judge is the Liberal Democrat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:11:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Im in orange county. This judge is known not to give unrestricted  permits to police. Word around the gun comunity is that she shouldnt be handling pistol permits. She doesnt understand. What really upsets me is I dont belive she was as forthright with me as I was with her. After explaining why I needed the unrestricted she looked me in the face and smiled and said "I understand and Ill take care of it". After a 15 min hearing I felt pretty good leaving the court room and thought I was granted it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:36:32 AM EDT
[#14]
What judge did you have? I have Rosenwasser, and was told that he is pretty good about granting "unrestricted" permits. I was told I should have no problems with my judge.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:24:20 AM EDT
[#15]
***UPDATE***

I got my PA CCW YESTERDAY!!!!!!

I was completely surprised when it showed up in the mail yesterday. Only took 10days from the day I mailed in the paperwork, to the day I got it back.

Still waiting to here on my NYS permit change. Working on getting my FL CCW next, then CT, MA, NH and ME. If all goes well, I'll be able to carry up and down pretty much the entire east coast.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Im in orange county. This judge is known not to give unrestricted  permits to police. Word around the gun comunity is that she shouldnt be handling pistol permits. She doesnt understand. What really upsets me is I dont belive she was as forthright with me as I was with her. After explaining why I needed the unrestricted she looked me in the face and smiled and said "I understand and Ill take care of it". After a 15 min hearing I felt pretty good leaving the court room and thought I was granted it.

You should talk to a local attorney about filing an Article 78 proceeding in SC.  Be advised it will be expensive and you may not be successful.

E-mail [email protected] about your denial.  He may be able to recommend a local attorney who is familiar with challenging PP denials in OC.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#17]
If I only had money to burn.If I thought this was a personal thing I would give it a shot. But from what I hear from everyone thsi is what she does.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top