Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2004 5:50:21 PM EDT
5 round rule - bullshit
chamber/bolt inspection - 100% justified

I've heard that its more PITA than it has to be......
Nothing touches me the wrong way like these 5 round rules.  What they accomplish I don't know, 'specially since handgunners can use any mag they want.  explain that.

I think that I'm gonna drive to calverton once a week.

I live in woodmere/ nassau county so any outdoor range is a drive away anyway.

Recommendations for a black rifle addict such as myself?
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I live in Long Beach and I drive to Calverton at least twice a month, it's 1:20min drive for me, but worth it. In the summer on weekends it gets a little crowded.  I go during the week 99% of the time anyway, there is maybe ten people there, it's great.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Farmingdale here, and my RDO's are Mon-Tue.  If I could get more people to join me, I would go to Calverton more often!
About an hour drive.  
I was at Nassau range at mitchel field a week ago, and a guy from work emptied a 20round mag in less than one minute.
Shortly thereafter, we were told our one hour was up.
We needed to leave because we were going to work that afternoon so it worked out great.

Bill H.
Email me if you want to go to Calverton on Tuesdays.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I just moved to NY from CT, what is this 5 rnd rule?  Are things that diffrent here in NY?  Any heads up I could get before I show up with my 30 rnd mags and piss people off would help.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just moved to NY from CT, what is this 5 rnd rule?  Are things that diffrent here in NY?  Any heads up I could get before I show up with my 30 rnd mags and piss people off would help.  Thanks

It's just a range rule at that range.  I know of one public range where you can only load one round at a time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Any rifle ranges within an hour and a half drive from Woodmere (10 mins east of JFK) (That's the sounthern half of Nassau and SW portion of Suffolk) which don't have the 5-round rule?
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I was ast the Nassau CTY range today and Emptied 7 or 8 30 rd mags with my SEAK with out a problem no body is gonna come and count the rds in your mags even at the Huntington town Range which I go to every Sunday morning I use fully loaded mags. I just take my time and dont empty them all out. Shoot 6 or 7 rds look up shoot a fewe more rds, Its great
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#7]
mag162 i do that oo once in a while most of the time i just deal with the 5 rd rule if that was the worst thing ebr users had to deal with life would be easy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
The thing with mitchell field is that there are two a$$holes and the rest of the workers there are teh nicest guys on earth.  If you are alone and new they will bug you re: 5 rounds.  When I started coming with my club, they leave us all alone.

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was ast the Nassau CTY range today and Emptied 7 or 8 30 rd mags with my SEAK with out a problem no body is gonna come and count the rds in your mags even at the Huntington town Range which I go to every Sunday morning I use fully loaded mags. I just take my time and dont empty them all out. Shoot 6 or 7 rds look up shoot a fewe more rds, Its great

Which Nassau CTY range would that be? It's a big place with a bunch or ranges ,
I went to the one in Bethpage (the one on Spagnolli rd), and had a bunch of loaded 30's with me. I'd just switch between them every 5 rounds.

BTW, Chapperjoe, where are you in Woodmere? I'd be leaving from Carman ave. Perhaps we can meet up (at a range, or before?).
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Any rifle ranges within an hour and a half drive from Woodmere (10 mins east of JFK) (That's the sounthern half of Nassau and SW portion of Suffolk) which don't have the 5-round rule?

Your about 10 minutes from me, like i said I'am in Long Beach and it takes me about 1:20 to get to Calverton, thats with light traffic. So I guess tack on ten minutes and it would take you about 1:30, of coarse depending on how fast or slow you drive. If I did the speed limit, it would take 2:00 for me.

The only ranges I have gone to on long island are Huntington and Calverton, so I don't know who else has the 5rd suckymakesnosenserule.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:46:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I am in woodsburgh......
I belong to a club.  Peninsula pistol and rifle club, we're really just 30 or so guys, 10-12 regulars, mostly jewish and all certifiably addicted to the hobby.

We go to mitchell field twice a month, two hours each time.  100 bucks a year.  

Big AR fans, lots of glocks and USP's, 22's, AK's.

We're trying to get some trap shooting done soon, weather permitting.

I'm just dying to get outdoors.  I have never in my life shot outdoors yet.  I was a mitchell field baby with my PC9, 10/22, etc.  Now I got AK's and AR's and want to go outside, so it will be a busy summer for mylself.

What is this bethpage range and how long does it take to get there?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Bethpage takes me about 20 mins to get to.

Take southern state to exit 28-A-North, on the seaford expy, take exit 9, go straight, make right on first intersection with light, go straight until you get to the last intersection on the road (where you can only either make a left or a right), and make a right. then you will get to a fork in the road, bear left onto spagnoli road. watch the left side of the road, at some point maybe a half a mile down, you will see a rather small blue sign with Rifle and Pistol range written on it, make a left onto the road, and then take the gate on the left down the dirt road into the range parking lot.

360 Spagnoli Rd.    Melville, NY 11747.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:03:53 AM EDT
[#13]
you gotta post that bethpage range on the range list~~!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL, I got busted at the Huntington range 2 years ago for more than 5 rounds.  I was breaking in a new upper and was really getting into it, unfortunately everyone stopped firing at about the same time which left me going bang, bang more then 10 times without reloading.  Of course I didn't notice this until the range officer came up to me and asked how many rounds I had loaded.  My friens were behind him laughing at me as I tried to explain my actions.  Turns out he just explained the rules to me again and after I apologized, that was it.  I just look at it as a chance to practice reloading more often.
BTW, Brookhaven didn't say anything to me about a magazine limit.  
I think Brookhaven is awesome, way cleaner then Calverton.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top