Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2004 6:15:44 PM EDT
First off, is this the 'range in farmingdale' i keep hearing about?

And can anyone describe the hungtingon range in detail.  I've heard they are strict and all about prone shooting due to "the possibility of bullets going into parking lot" and that whole SNAFU they had with their neighbors.

Can someone please describe the shooting process there.........  I've never gone to a place without the mechanical target return, and I doubt outdoor ranges have that.

Link Posted: 4/27/2004 3:27:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they are commonly referred to as Farmingdale!  

For non suffolk residents, I think it is about $15.00.  
Maybe 10 Pistol/shotgun points.
25 50 yard points.
And 25 100 yard points.
5 rounds max in magazines.  During Hunting season, it is limited to 1 ONE round!
Cease fire every 15-20 minutes for target change.
Roof overhead for rain/sun protection.
They also have wood built down so nobody shoots too high to prevent stray bullets.
I have never shot prone, but there is probably not enough room between shooting benches.
All firearms must be opened so RO's can see them during cease fire (and they do inspect).
Cease fire!  Open all magazines and place weapons into racks and stand behind the yellow line while RO inspects guns.  DO NOT touch weapons during cease fire!

Range officers watching everyone!

DIRECTIONS:
Take LIE to Rt.110 South and make Right at the Hilton Hotel (Spagnoli Rd.), watch for the sign on  the Right just as you get to the industrial park.
Or SS Pky to Rt.110 North and make Left at the Hilton Hotel (Spagnoli Rd.).
Their phone #631-531-8474

I think that someone here will fill in anytthing that I have failed to mention.

Bill H.
Farmingdale, NY
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I've found it to be more of a PITA than anyplace else. Actually, I only had that problem when I lived in Farmingdale. Since I've moved 10 min from Calverton I don't have that problem anymore. All depends on what kind of shooting you are doing too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 6:50:04 AM EDT
[#3]
BillH got most of it. They are strict and will yell at all law breakers. Also the non-resident fee is $13.00
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The range is strict for your safety, all RO's will help if you are inexperienced, or have any problems or questions. Better to be safe than sorry
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The range is strict for your safety, all RO's will help if you are inexperienced, or have any problems or questions. Better to be safe than sorry

Good point Dodgeram You seem to be a Smart person
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
if you want to shoot prone just ask the range officers, they have a few positions on both 50 and 100 yd that they will let you shoot in any position from. they are rather strict on the five rd rule.

you have to remember they are in an area where any bad publicity can get them shut down  and god knows there are too few ranges as it is downstate.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 6:04:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The range is not strict for MY safety, the range is strict to reduce the Town of Huntington's perceived liability to the public for operating a "dangerous" gun range. Whatever number of rounds I have in a magazine and the rate at which I fire has nothing to do with my overall responsibility as a shooter. Some ranges treat shooters like children, and some treat shooters like the responsible, competent adults that most shooters are. Huntington treats them like children.

The looks of disdain and comments from RO's there for simply showing up with an AR 15 were enough to make me not want to shoot there, and as I said before, when I lived in F'dale, it was kind of my only option.

I left F'dale in 95 and haven't been back.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#8]
ive shot ar's there for god know how long and ive never had a range officer treat me badly. of course it helps that i brought an ak too maybe.i do admit they have a like for bolt actions there but there are a lot of shooters with ebr's on the line.iv'e asked about the 5 rd limit and they say its a town rule for the range.i have found that while strict they are a great bunch who will take the time out to help with sighting in a rifle, any thing else you might want help with, and are avid gun rights believers.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Mag, you are so right. I remember going with 2 new guys last year, and they got hammered for breaking the rules.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top