Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2003 7:58:03 PM EDT
I was under the impression that since NY would not recognize other states licenses that no other state would recognize NY. But this site says otherwise.
www.saf.org/reciprocity.html

anyone know for sure?

if I was planning on going to any of the states listed I'd contact their AG on my own before trying it
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 2:46:12 AM EDT
[#1]
packing.org says on their New York page (scroll about 3/4 of the way down) that the following states recognize New York permits: Alaska, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan*, Montana, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Utah. They include a "notes" section containing links to more info, usually on the state's official web site.

The page that sharky linked to says that New York licenses are recognized in: ID, IN, KY, MI*, MT, UT. That page is dated 5/15/02. packing.org's New York page was last updated on 10/9/2003.

But of course, as sharky said, contacting a state's AG is the best way to find up-to-date info.

* "Resident permit/license only" in packing.org's listing for Michigan's recognition of New York licenses looks to me to be a mis-reading of the Michigan info. Michigan recognizes ALL other states' CCW licenses as long as the owners follow Michigan CCW law while there, but New York only recognizes resident licenses.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:58:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I suggest getting a Florida CCW which has good reciprocity with many states.  No residency requirement for the Florida CCW.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:47:10 AM EDT
[#3]
According to the NRA "Guide to Right-to-Carry Reciprocity and Recognition" revised 12/2003 the following states recognize New York States CCW:

Alaska, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Montana, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont

NOTE: Alaska and Vermont allow the concealed carry of firearms without a permit.

www.nraila.org/recmap/recguide.pdf
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:01:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Aimless:  Any guess as to how these states view carry permits restricted to target/hunting.  As you know these restrictions do not exist in the NYS Penal Law outside of NYC.  TIA
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Pardon my ignorance. Where in NY is there a CCW?

I'm in Nassau County. I can only carry to and from the range and hunting.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance. Where in NY is there a CCW?

I'm in Nassau County. I can only carry to and from the range and hunting.

Basically, with few exceptions, anywhere other than the NYC/LI region of NY State is CCW...The farther north you go (a.k.a. away from the Liberals) the more CCW friendly the individual counties in NY get..
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks ChrisLe. I gotta move.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Me too!!! Im in Nassau also...
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too!!! Im in Nassau also...

No, you're in the "big stupid."
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#11]
look at your licence, it should say  LICENCE TO CARRY
Unless one of these republicrat judges has defaced a public document with "restrictions" by stamping them you can carry
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Last I knew Chautauqua county still issues unrestricted permits
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
look at your licence, it should say  LICENCE TO CARRY
Unless one of these republicrat judges has defaced a public document with "restrictions" by stamping them you can carry

It's stamped "Target Only To And From Range"

I gotta move out to the country.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top