Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2003 3:57:57 PM EDT
My dilema:

New job has me moving to northern NJ.  I have both an AR clone (rock river) and a sig.  I'm getting conflicting reports on the legality of ownership there (currently in FL).  From what I understand the handgun needs to be registered but the AR and the magazines are banned.  Any suggestions?  Any official web sites or links would be appreciated.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is hte story, Post ban AR by Rock River is ok, Magazines must be made to only take 15 rounds, so a wood block is ok. Sig is ok I am not sure if you have to reregister it, but you you should get a Firearms ID anyway.
If you get a place in a little more rural area you are better off, Live in a city and they will mess with you. NJ is two things Big Democrat Cities and the Woods. I live in the woods.
Good luck with your move and ask any questions.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Buggin,
If the Ar is post ban you are alright.  The mags Have to be blocked to 15 rounds.  `The Sig does not have to be registered, But I would suggest you do.  If you shoot someone, the media here has a field day w/ "UNREGISTERED HANDGUNS"  When you move here, apply for the firearms ID card and hangun permit at the same time. Depending were you move, it may take 30 days to a year to get the permit and ID form. What town are you moving to? I am in Belleville, and there is an indoor gunrange in this town.  E-me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#3]
buggin,

Where in northern NJ? I'm in Parsippany, Morris County. There are several board members in northern NJ.

IM me if you need help w/ anything.

Mike

PS The advice given is very good.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Sig does not have to be registered in NJ as long as you can prove ownership. I'm not a fan of any kind of firearm registration.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in Morris County too (North Jersey)

For you sir, the following

1) Post-Ban ARs are a-okay
2) Pistols legally acquired are a-okay

There is no madatory registration for bringing firearms into the state.

Get a Firearms ID Card.  Go to your local PD and say you would like to get a Firearms ID Card.  It is not necessary, but gives the police a feel good feeling if they pull you over, and you politely tell them you have arms in the trunk (also not necessary but courteous).  Also, have proof (receipts, all forms you have, etc) in a safe place in case you have to prove you own anything.  In almost any case, when in doubt, the police will assume you are guilty (relieving you of your arms) until you come to them with proof of legal ownership and that you are still elligable to own them (where the FID helps).

Stay safe in the Garden State,

p3

(mind you there is a list of banned weapons in case you have something else you were planning on bringing in.  Also, besides the list, silencers are 100% not okay.  =(   ).
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the info.  I did see a banned list on one website ( an official one but I don't remember the address).  That website scared me into thinking that I had to get rid of the AR before the move. As I understood it it had banned lots of "assault rifles" not just AR's but AK's, SKS's and others.

I definately will get the FID card when I move (by the way I'll probably be working in Parsippany and living west around Mt Olive township). Last thing I would ever want to do is to use a firearm on anyone in defense, but I want to be on the right side of the law if anything terrible happened.  Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to NJ. You'll have to bring that "AR" to one of the Ft. Dix shoots. They are a lot of Fun.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Hope things work out for you.  The more responsible firearms owners in NJ the better.  I'm in the Rockaway area.  There is a nice range Cherry Ridge in West Milford.  There is a pretty active service rifle group up there.  We should all get together for a lunch or a range trip sometime.

Welcome to NJ
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#9]
welcome to nj or the State of Confusion. i live in sussex county, very nice. if you move out this way check out shongum sportsman gun club. nice range and a good bunch of guys..good luck.. art
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#10]
 Morris County here too.. Good advice to be had above.  I would recommend blocking the mags before bringing them into the state, and should you have to deal with any of the representatives from our local law enforcement community, realize that they may not be as well versed in the ins and outs of NJ firearms law as you are.. The Judge should be, but you don't want to have to talk to HIM do ya? ;)  The AR is fine though.  Welcome to NJ, always nice to have another comrade in arms here in the PRNJ!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top