Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2003 1:53:27 PM EDT
This isn't really an issue for me right now, but I was curious if anyone knew what happens with a pistol permit when you move from Suffolk to Nassau county?  Does the permit terminate and you have to reapply in the new county?  Do you have to pay the Nassau $200 application fee that Suffolk residents don't have to?  Do you need to do anything?  
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Your permit gets transferred to the new county. You have to fill out the application of course and pay that counties fees as well. But, you don't have to wait a long period again while they investigate you. Basically, the get all the paperwork from the county that you had the permit in.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Be careful about moving to a County like Nassau which has an expiring permit.  According to the NYSP if you move back to Suffolk with a Nassau permit it is void when it expires and you have to reapply in Suffolk. One other thing, unless you reapply any restriction on your current permit will also be carried over to your new permit.  Ain't NY great!  

Your best bet is to call The Nassau PD and ask them because they may have some special procedures or rules when moving into the County.

www.troopers.state.ny.us/Firearms/FAQs/FAQindex.html

Q - If a licensee was issued a renewable pistol permit and then relocates to a county where pistol permits are issued "good until revoked," does the pistol permit automatically become "good until revoked" upon transferring it to the new county?

No. While the Penal Law does provide for the transfer of licenses from one county to another, it does not permit the changing of the expiration date of the license when one has been assigned.

The license may be transferred and will remain in full effect until the expiration date has been reached. At that time the individual will become unlicensed, unless application has been made with the appropriate licensing authorities for a new "good until revoked" license.

The following link has a scanned copy of the Nassau County Pistol License Information Handbook.  It may not be current though.

www.rantpipe.com/Articles/MJNassauGunProcess.asp

Link Posted: 11/7/2003 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't get all worked up over this, both Suffolk and Nassau's permits expire. Neither are 'good until revoked'. So, rkbar's comments might be appropriate for another part of the state, they don't matter here on Long Island. It's a simple process, call them.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, my main question was answered.  I was really looking to see if I'd have to pay that exhorbitant $200 nassau fee if I moved.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top