Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2003 4:19:10 PM EDT
I understand that in Jersey we can't own rifles that say "M1 Carbine" on the side... so, are there any clones out there that are legal to have? Anyone own one?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#1]

None are legal that I know of.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope. The guy at Brick Armory sold some of the IMI M1 Carbines. State police made them call this customers and get them all back. None are legal from my understanding.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Are there any rifles that use the .30 carbine round that *are* legal in NJ?

As a side note...  How do you guys say carbine?  

Is it Carb*eye*ne or Carb*ean*e?

I use the *eye* version...

BoBo'
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny, I was just thinking about this today.  Wouldn't it be great for S/A or someone to come out with a Carbine marked M1A1 with a pinned open "PostBan" compliant stock and no bayonet lug.  I realise that the markings would not be historically correct since the original M1A1 where just marked US Carbine M1 but who cares?  It'd be worth it just to piss off the anti's here in the PRNJ.

Somenon set up shop and I'd buy one.

ka
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get a post-ban AR-15 in .30 Carbine from Oly.

I say Car-byne mostly, but sometimes I say it Car-bean just for shits.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#6]
what about the unversel carbines those m1 clones
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:24:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
what about the unversel carbines those m1 clones

Nope, not legal either. Plainfield Machine and National Ordnance are nono's too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Since anything that is marked M1 Carbine is ILLEGAL, does that mean that anything marked something else (assuming it is postban compliant) is LEGAL?  I would think that the same logic that  applies to the Bushmaster, Oly, and RRA AR clones would apply here.  But then again, I am trying to apply logic to the PRNJ.  
Wonder if there are any 80% carbine recievers out there???

ka
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 3:39:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Dude,

This is New Jersey. Logic does not apply.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dude,

Mike

Point taken, but just for the sake of argument, if the rule applies to AR's and AK's SHOULDN'T it apply to carbines as well?

ka
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Since anything that is marked M1 Carbine is ILLEGAL, does that mean that anything marked something else (assuming it is postban compliant) is LEGAL?  I would think that the same logic that  applies to the Bushmaster, Oly, and RRA AR clones would apply here.  But then again, I am trying to apply logic to the PRNJ.  
Wonder if there are any 80% carbine recievers out there???

ka

If a M1 carbine type rifle was postban compliant (re: no bayonet lug) and was marked M30 carbine, then it should be NJ legal. The problem is that no manufactures are willing to take the time or effort to make the changes on the receiver. That maybe because of the red tape of doing so, I dont know the federal laws but I would imagine that changing the model number would be the same as introducing a new type firearm and would be subject to the scrutiny of the BATF. This is purely speculation on my part but it seems to be the only logical explaination.

Someone needs to contact a manufacturer and tell them that if they renamed the M1 carbine, then they could probably sell about 1000 rifles in NJ in a short time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to change the subject...but is a M1A legal in NJ?

like the one from Fultom Armory

and Springfield Armory

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:16:11 AM EDT
[#13]
From the NJSP Firearms Web Page:
www.njsp.org/about/fire_ag1.html

NJ Attorney General's Directive dated March 31, 1997:

"Both the Division of Criminal Justice and the State Police Firearms Unit have received a number of inquiries whether the Colt Match Target Rifle and the Springfield M1A are considered assault firearms under New Jersey law.

Based on our review of the law and the Attorney General guidelines, we conclude that neither of the two firearms are prohibited under State law.

The Colt Match Target Rifle, based on the manufacturer’s specifications, is a new line of rifles and is not part of the AR-15 series, and thus, is not prohibited under N.J.S.A.2 C: 39-1w(1).

Although this new rifle, may resemble the Colt AR-15, there have been substantial changes to the firearm, including the receiver which is not identical to an AR-15 receiver.

In addition, because of changes in the configuration of the firearm, the Colt Match Target Rifle is not substantially identical to a prohibited firearm and prohibited under this classification.

See N.J.S.A.2C:39-1w(2) and Attorney General’s Guidelines Regarding the “Substantially Identical” Provision in the State’s Assault Firearms Laws dated August 19, 1996.

The Springfield M1A is not one of the enumerated firearms which are specifically prohibited under the State’s assault firearms laws. It has been prohibited in this State as being substantially identical to a named firearm.

However, according to the manufacturer’s specifications, the M1A has been modified. The modified M1A, which became available in 1994, would not be considered to be substantially identical to a prohibited firearm in accordance with the statutory provision and the Attorney General’s guidelines cited above.

However, earlier versions of the M1A which contains at least two of the criteria identified in Paragraph B of the Attorney General’s Guidelines, supra, would still be considered to be substantially identical to a prohibited firearm and continue to be banned under our State law.

As a result, it will be necessary to clearly distinguish the physical characteristics or lack of physical characteristics when making a determination regarding the M1A rifle.

Neither this clarification regarding the classification of the Colt Match Target Rifle and the M1A Rifle, nor the guidelines issued August 19, 1996, regarding the “substantially identical” provision of the assault weapons law applies to firearms that are specifically listed in N.J.S.A.2C:39-1w(2) as prohibited firearms or to firearms which are banned at “types” of named prohibited firearms."
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not to change the subject...but is a M1A legal in NJ?

like the one from Fultom Armory

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19384

and Springfield Armory

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19386

I hope they are legal!

(M1A SuperMatch w/Leupold 3.5-10x40 LRT Illuminated Mildot. ARMS #22 rings and an ARMS #18 base.)

Notice that there is no bayonet lug. AFAIK, any post-ban M1A is NJ legal since the only "other" evil feature is the flash hider.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:38:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Dude,

Mike

....A   R   I   Z   O   N   Ahhhhhhhh!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top