Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2003 6:32:21 AM EDT
Wave IM'ed me and asked if I would like to join in a ARF hunt. I think trying to hunt together as a group has many problems including members not having hunting licenses, hunting clothes, enough property to hunt on, hunting style guns, members from different states would have to buy out of state licenses, lack of hunting experience and most important the lack of games animals to shoot.

I have hunting small game on shooting preserves for many years. Although not a "real hunt" the good points include no licence required, game guaranteed and no experience required. Although fun I think this group would enjoy a big game hunt better. Birds require sporting style shotguns and wingshooting. This group is more rifle oriented and owns rifles.

There are several hunting preserves in the northeast that offer big game hunting including wild boar. This would require no licence, centerfire rifle, hunting, work or military clothes and guaranteed game. The cost would be 500 to 1000 dollars depending on preserve and size of trophy animal.

Here are three preserves:

Old Stone Fence Hunting Preserve, Rensselaer, NY

Wild Hill Hunting Preserve, West Fairlee, Vermont

Tioga Hunting Preserve, Tioga, Pennsylvania

All three can be found on the web. Wild Hill has the best reputation for the most authentic hunt and is the most expensive. Tioga has the worst reputation for fenced in game and I have no information about Old Stone Fence. If anyone has any experience or know about any other preserves please share.

I think this would be fun and something to plan in the future. Hunting is year round at these preserves. Doing it after the holidays would give time for members to save money and plan time off. Tell me what you think. MIKE.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The cost would be 500 to 1000 dollars depending on preserve and size of trophy animal.

Yup, that's about all I see!  I'm thinking about hunting more for getting out with the guys and having some fun freezing my ass off in the woods rather than a guaranteed kill.  It'd be nice, but it wouldn't "make" my trip.  

I think the logistical problems would be overcome by the fact that not many of us have hunting permits right now.  I do have hunting clothes, permit and such, but the problem is a gun compliant to Ed's property.  I can definately find one though.

For me, a hunting preserve will have to wait for next year, unless I hit the lottery or find a job willing to pay more than three times what I'm looking for, the cost is just prohibitive for me.  Are you interested in just wandering through the woods, dodging Wave's misplaced fire with us?  
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#2]
id love to kill a swine .. im in ..
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Blaz, If you need to borrow a slug shogun I can lend you one. I already have a group I have been hunting with for 30 years but thanks. MIKE.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:53:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow thats seems a little steep to me. $500 to $1000 to shoot a hairy pig with teeth. I didn't know it was that expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top