Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2003 3:31:14 PM EDT

folks,

never been to fort dix, got some questions...

0) found the directions in another post, no problem there.
1) is range 14 the only "civilian" range?
2) what days is it open?
3) what hours each day?
4) do you need to "sign in" somewhere?
5) are the range rules posted on the web somplace?  at the range someplace?
6) is there a rangemaster on hand, or anyone in charge?
7) who calls cease-fire for safety reasons or target changes?
8) targets? BYOT? just paper or milk cartons too?
9) what distances?  are they marked?
10) benches? shade? water? facilities?
11) pistol vs high power, separate areas? what range number(s) for pistol?
12) any other issues/hints that a civilian on a military base might want to know about?

thanks guys.

hope to get there for some "informal" shooting and then meet you all for one of the events that i see posted here every so often.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the Hometown section my young padawan!

Let's see:

0 - I'm guessing they're mine?  Let me know if you're coming from a different direction and maybe I can help with different directions...

1 - Yes, nowadays.  There used to be a DCM range (600M I think) but, alas, no more.

2 - Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun

3 - 4pm - 9pm, 4pm - 8pm, 9am - 4pm, 9am - 4pm (respectively)

4 - You need to be a member.  All it takes is name, address and $50 for a year.  Its then $3/hour to shoot.  you'll be signed up in 2 minutes or less!  The range office is right behind the rifle range, can't miss it.

5 - Range rules are very straightforward.  It is a great place to shoot with minimal restrictions.  All types of (legal) firearms.  No one shot per minute BS.  Rapid fire is allowed.  Rules around targets are fairly lax, you're just expected to clean up after yourself.  About the only thing they truly enforce a 'ban' on is bowling pins.  If there's something specific you need to know about, post it here.  The website is:www.dixmwr.com/Range14/Range14.htm

6 - Yes, it is well run and under range control.  Cease fires at :20 and :50 every hour.

7 - see above

8 - see above and yes they sell carboard targets for $3 each.

9 - 0 - 225 yards (roughly) on rifle.  They are marked at 25, 50, 100, 150, 200.  The rear berm is about 25 yards behind the 200 line depending on which end of the range you're on.

10 - each position has a covered picnic table.  Not rock-solid stable but decent.  There are also concrete slabs on the ground next to the tables for prone firing.  It is a bright and sunny range.  Also tends to be a bit breezy.  There are bathroom facilities (porta john outside, not sure if they still allow use of the inside bathrooms)  There are soda machines in the office.  I would say hit the Wawa on the way though...

11 - there is a 25 yd pistol range on the left side of the tower, the rifle range on the right side and a skeet/trap range behind the office.  The pistol and rifle ranges have about 14 positions each.  There are about 10-12 towers on the skeet range.  There is also an archery area.  You can shoot anything on the rifle range.  Pistol is pretty much pistol and shotgun is obviously shotgun.

12 - the range is on the reservation, not the base.  Make sense?  There is a difference...  Range road is actually a public/county road that is well traveled.  You never actually go 'on base' when you go to the range.  So, no issues there.

In addition, I will tell you that this is a very black rifle friendly range.  We have been having our NJ shoots there all year and they are eager to have us come back every time.  People shoot everything you can imagine there and its one of the best places I've found to shoot in NJ.

I would also encourage you to come to our next NJ BLAST shoot.  You can see the range, shoot for the day and decide if you like it for just the $15.  If you can't wait that long, either myself, 555R or Bobby_the_Hun are out there at least every weekend.  Tag along with one of us as a guest and you can check it out.

Oh yeah, here are some photos from our NJ BLAST shoots so you can see what the place looks like:

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/ThumbnailView.asp?iGalleryUnq=834

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/ThumbnailView.asp?iGalleryUnq=899
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]

FMJunkie,

hey guy i just wanted say a big "THANKS!" for all of the info above.  i checked out the pics and it seems like a great place, with some nice open space.  there seem to be a lot of AR's just lying around on benches though...

although i live up north a ways, i actually have a friend who lives in New Egypt, which is not so far from the range.  that said, with your directions, my general knowledge of the area, and my trusty Etrex GPS, i shouldn't have to wander around for more than a few hours.

final question, is it usually crowded on weekends? or said another way, do i need to get there at 0830 to get a slot?  if i show up in the afternoon, what's that look like?  (i'm talking "normal" days, not "event" days with all of those evil black rifles laid out on the tables.)

thanks again and see you at the range,
ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 2:00:38 AM EDT
[#3]
ar-jedi, Range 14 has 14 lanes(tables) in the rifle section.If you arrive there at about 0900 or a little later on Saturdays, you can get a table with no problem.I have yet to see all the tables full in the morning.Sundays are quite busier, such as last week where We (FMJ) waited almost an hour for a table(not bad).IF there is a WAITING LIST, everyone is allowed to shoot for 1 hour ONLY.So Saturdays are your best day to shoot.Range phone # 609.562.4676
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 3:35:45 AM EDT
[#4]
yup as usuall lots of AR's and not enuff people to shoot them
shouldnt that be how it always is?
R14 is NJ's Black rifle range
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Generally, it is not hard to get on the range at all.  Even on the nicest days of spring and summer, I rarely encounter a wait.

However, as hunting season approaches, the ranks swell with those coming out to fire 3 of the 4 shots they will take for the year...  Hence, Bobby and I having to wait for a table on Sunday...  This usually only lasts a month or so though and then is gone with the frost.

Also, and don't ask me why, the crowd is much different from Saturday to Sunday.  I can't explain it, it just is.  I shoot on Saturday 98% of the time, maybe that's why.  I also enjoy the Wed/Fri evening thing when I can get out of work for it.  Its a rare occasion but its much more 'peaceful' with just a few single shooters.

Anyway, glad I could help!  If you can, it would be great to see you at one of the NJ BLAST shoots.  If not November, definitely end of December or the all important February BLAST!  (yes folks, the Polar Bear BLAST is coming...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top