Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2003 5:54:46 PM EDT
I live in PA, a friend of mine went to his local firearms dealer asking if he could buy and own a Bushmaster in the state of New Jersey.  They told him that AR15's are illegal in the state, but since Bushmaster makes XM15s they are ok.

XM15's are AR15's, arent they? Help me, I am so confused!
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#1]
XM15s are not AR15s... they are AR15 pattern post-ban compliant rifles.

So as long as it says A-15, LAR-15, PCR-15, XM15, or anything beside AR-15 on the side of the receiver, it's legal. (Oh, and it's gotta be post-ban compliant as well.)

It really comes down to what's written on the side of the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I own over half dozn Bushmasters....all post ban.  Are you saying I don't really own a single AR15?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes and no. You own an "AR-15 pattern rifle" but not a "Colt AR-15." Most of the time we talk about the former, but the law refers specifically to the latter.

It's like some people call all tissues "Kleenex" whether or not it's actually that brand.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Any post ban Ar15 type rifle is legal in NJ.  I own two bushmasters.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, here's what I still don't get. Here in NY, the Penal Law states that it's illegal to have

"(d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as.....(iv) Colt Ar15;"

See, it specifically states "copies"! So wouldn't any of these,XM's, PCR's ect.. all be construed as copies?
 (Yes, I know that this was originally about NJ, but I know one of you guys knows the answer!)
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
OK, here's what I still don't get. Here in NY, the Penal Law states that it's illegal to have

"(d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as.....(iv) Colt Ar15;"

See, it specifically states "copies"! So wouldn't any of these,XM's, PCR's ect.. all be construed as copies?
 (Yes, I know that this was originally about NJ, but I know one of you guys knows the answer!)

Offhand I know of two places that AR15s are illegal, New York City and Albany.  The New York State Assault Weapons Ban is identical to the Federal AWB with one exception, there is no sunset in the NYS ban.  Prebans, postbans and hicap mags are legal in most of the state.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:54:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yes and no. You own an "AR-15 pattern rifle" but not a "Colt AR-15." Most of the time we talk about the former, but the law refers specifically to the latter.

It's like some people call all tissues "Kleenex" whether or not it's actually that brand.

I thought Armalite was the orginal designer of the AR15.

Offhand I know of two places that AR15s are illegal, New York City and Albany. The New York State Assault Weapons Ban is identical to the Federal AWB with one exception, there is no sunset in the NYS ban. Prebans, postbans and hicap mags are legal in most of the state.

Aren't they illegal in CA, too if they can except mags of more than 10 rounds?
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:30:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Raptor, that is a common misconception.  You can have assault weapons in Albany but they must be registered with the City.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Raptor, that is a common misconception.  You can have assault weapons in Albany but they must be registered with the City.

Interesting...

I know that in Rochester and Buffalo you can not have AWs... I dont know about the registering thing though. I also heard that in the city of Rochester you can not have any magazines that hold over 10 rounds no matter when they were made.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Dallman,

Yes, AR15s are illegal in NJ.  That means that the Colt rifle with 'AR15' engraved on the magwell is banned.  You can own any post ban legal AR type rifle that does not have 'AR15' stamped on it.

No, you do not own a single AR15.  You own Bushmaster XM15s which are AR15 type firearms, more commonly referred to as 'AR type'.

Armalite did originally own the patents on the Stoner design but licensed them to Colt for manufacturing.  Colt now has the exclusive claim to the 'AR15' model designation.  (I think)

Just wanted to sum it all up for ya!  Hope this helps...

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The Common Council of the City of Albany can KMA. I guess the nationwide DCM AR15 competition doesn't qualify as target practice or other legitimate sports or recreational activities. It also ignores the many hunters who use AR15 rifles for hunting and varmit control.  

§ 193-13. Findings and declaration.
The Common Council of the City of Albany finds and declares that the proliferation and
use of assault weapons pose and present a threat to the health, safety, welfare and security to the citizens of Albany.

§ 193-14. Scope and intent.
As used herein, "assault weapon" generally means a firearm of such a nature and with
such a high rate of fire and/or capacity for firepower that its function as a legitimate
sports or recreational firearm is substantially outweighed by the danger that it can be used to kill and injure human beings. While it is the intent, then, of this legislation to restrict the use and possession of assault weapons, it is not the intent of the Common Council to place restrictions on the use of those firearms which are primarily designed and intended for hunting, target practice or other legitimate sports or recreational activities.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:26:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I believe it is 17 rounds, I looked it up ages ago.

www.nysrpa.org/chapter47-rochester.pdf

City of Rochester Chapter 47

AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE -- Magazines, belts, feedstrips, drums or clips capable of being attached to or utilized with any center-fire rifle, shotgun or pistol which employs the force of the expanding gases from a discharging cartridge to chamber a fresh
round after each single pull of the trigger which, in the case of a rifle or shotgun holds in excess of five (5) cartridges, or in the case of a pistol holds in excess of seventeen (17) cartridges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top