Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2003 7:25:50 PM EDT
didn't find this in the 30 day search I was able to do
Thought it might be nice to have a list of counties in NY and how hard it is to get a pistol permit and what type of restrictions they issue with.
I only have first hand knowledge of Chautauqua county
it took 3-4 months for mine to be issued after I submitted my paper work. I think the reasons I listed were target shooting, hunting, collecting and protection, not sure of the order I listed them. No restrictions were placed on it. in my packet of forms was a notice that they no longer issued if the only reason was protection. I got mine in 2000, not sure if it has changed any since then
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Orange county: I hope I'm not the exception, but I filed on May 2nd of this year, and the judge signed off on the permit July 18th. 2 1/2 months is supposed to be a quick turnaround time. During my sole interview (with the Sheriff's investigator)I only asked for "To, From and On Bonafide Target Shooting and Hunting", so that may have made the decision easier.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Onondaga County
5 Dollar paper work fee (cash)
35 Dollar Sherrif Dept fee (cash)
75 Dollar background check fee (Postal Money Order)

Lead time to recieve permit is 6 to 10 weeks
Unless your real special permit is restricted to Hunting and Target Only.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Orange county: I hope I'm not the exception, but I filed on May 2nd of this year, and the judge signed off on the permit July 18th. 2 1/2 months is supposed to be a quick turnaround time. During my sole interview (with the Sheriff's investigator)I only asked for "To, From and On Bonafide Target Shooting and Hunting", so that may have made the decision easier.

Which judge signed off on your permit?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 3:23:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#5]
A Republican judge helps alot.  I have DeRosa.  Some people I know managed to have their restrictions removed after a year.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
35 Dollar Sherrif Dept fee (cash)

State law limits the fee to $10.00 except for NYC and Nassau County.

S 400.00 Licenses to carry, possess, repair and dispose of firearms.

14. Fees.

Elsewhere in the state, the licensing officer shall collect and pay into the county treasury the following fees: for each license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, not less than three dollars nor more than ten dollars as may be determined by the legislative body of the county; for each amendment thereto, three dollars, and five dollars in the county of Suffolk; and for each license issued to a gunsmith or dealer in firearms, ten dollars. The fee for a duplicate license shall be five dollars. The fee for processing a license transfer between counties shall be five dollars.  

assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=82&a=72
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:05:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Rockland County

It took maybe 3 to 4 months.  Don't remember, exactly.

Rockland County Pistol License Fee's.

$10- for filing fee
$74- state background check
$0- fingerprint from town PD.
$0- 4 hr firearms safety class by county pd dept.
Total for my license - priceless.  

NY State Pistol License - Don't leave home without it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Schenectady County

Mandatory class, approximately $150 in fees between fingerprints, photos, class fee, etc. No personal interview required. Judge will issue 'concealed carry' for hunting and target only. Approximately 12 week wait. (And I'm counting the days! - 6wks to go!)
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Oneida County, No restrictions, Herkimer County (home of Remington Arms) we have an a$$ of a Judge Kirk, Restricts to Hunting, Fishing and Target Shooting. (Never had a fish that big I've had to shoot in Herkimer County!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top