Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2003 5:59:49 AM EDT
I went to the new Gander Mountain store yesterday guys, and WOW!

To get there, take I-290 to the Colvin Blvd Exit.  If you keep your eyes open while on the 290 exit, you can't miss it.

This place is friggin HUGE.  It's an all-around outdoors place, with a bit more emphasis on hunting and fishing than say, a Gaylan's.  It is almost the size of a Home Depot.

Their selection is amazing.  To give an example, I'd say their ammo selection is about 5 times that of Buffalo Gun Center.  They also have fishing supplies, gear, clothing, footwear, knives, guns you name it.  The back walls were covered with guns.  Most were sporting guns, though--there were no Evil Black Rifles.

There are also lots of cute girls working there, so if you want to go hit on some women who are guaranteed not to be anti-gun, this is a good place.

I'm not so sure about the quality of the help though.  I asked one girl if they had any topographic atlases and she didn't know what the word "topographic" meant.  The second girl I asked did know.

In their ammo department, I was looking for some Black Hills V-Max with a 50 gr. bullet because it was highly recommended by another guy on AR15.com for hunting woodchucks.  Some guy came up and said, "You need any help?"  I said, "No, I found it.  I was looking for this Black Hills V-Max with the 50 gr. bullet."  He says, "What are you shooting it out of?"  I told him it was for my AR15.  He said, "You can't use that in an AR15.  The bullet is too light and the barrel twists too fast, so it will make the bullet tumble.  Use this instead."  And he hands me a box of Federal ammo with 62 grain bullets.  He said I needed 60 grains or higher.  I told him I usually shoot 55gr bullets no problem and he was skeptical.  I didn't bother telling him that the M193 ammo that our military uses is also 55gr.  So I took a box of each and then dumped the 62 grain bullets at the cash register.

The guy in their knife department seemed pretty knowledgeable.  But many of their knives were sold out.  Seeing as they only opened about a month ago, I guess they are still working out their inventory issues.

As far as prices, I didn't really look very carefully, but I would say from what I saw, prices were fair.  Not fantastically cheap, and not too expensive either.

They also have little workshops also.  Sort of the same way Home Depot will host a workshop like, "How to lay tile in your bathroom."  While I was at Gander Mountain, they had a guy cutting up a deer and demonstrating deer processing.

Great store; I'll definately be going back.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll answer the best I can.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:48:39 AM EDT
[#1]
WOW .. that sounds amazing ... wish they had a store here in the capital district like that .. id be living there ... id pitch a tent and sleep over !
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Your right Nick, that place is amazing!
I have been out there 6 times now since they have opened. Last week I was able to get 200 rounds of 50 gr. .223 ammo and it only cost me 32 bucks before tax. Im thinking the person who rang the sale made a mistake. Otherwise not bad. I still enjoy dealing with John over at Johnsons country store though in Lockport.

Chuck
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Chucky, tell me a little bit about Johnson's county store...I may head out there and check it out if it's worth the hassle.  I've only been to Lockport once, and all I can remember is that traffic SUCKS...too many traffic lights.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
OK guys, I will be in West Seneca in August for our daughter's baptism. What are the top 3 or 4 gun stores in the area that I definitely would want to check out? Within 20-30 miles or so. Any info you can offer would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Nick-
From I-290 take 990 North to Millersport Highway going towards Lockport.Millersport to Transit Road (North). Once you get to Rt.93, (Robinson Rd.)Turn right. Johnson's  Country store will be immediately on your left.

They have a large selection of long guns, some black rifles (supply varies) decent assortment of handguns (new and used) as well as fishing and archery equipment. Their selection of clothing is pretty decent, however, I dont go there to clothes shop so I never paid attention to prices. The holster selection is kinda lame for handguns. The guys there are very knowledgeable and like to shoot the shit, no sales pressure at all. Ammo is about average price. I haven't done a transfer through them in quite sometime so I am not sure on the fees.
Price haggling is also allowed, as well as trades.
After you are done looking around, they have different "jerky" at the front counter as well as different candies. Best of all... my favorite is the ice cream stand to the far left of the building, you can't miss it.

Johnson's has their second location in Hamburg I believe it is SouthWestern Blvd near Camp Rd.  (I may be wrong on the street names)
I don't deal with that store so I can't help on that one.

If anything, it is worth the ride to browse if you have nothing going on.

-Chuck
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Morpheus

Check out Johnson's country store in Hamburg,NY (close to West Seneca) and the new Gander Mountain Store on Young Street in Tonawanda, NY.

Just a guess-timate, I'd say West Seneca is about 15-20 miles from Tonawanda. That one is definately worth the drive!

-Chuck
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I've only been once but Buffalo Gun Center seemed pretty good
take the I90 east to the 33. 33 west to Harlem Road. North on Harlem about a block.

Quoted:
OK guys, I will be in West Seneca in August for our daughter's baptism. What are the top 3 or 4 gun stores in the area that I definitely would want to check out? Within 20-30 miles or so. Any info you can offer would be appreciated.

I might have to hit Gander Mountain tomorrow
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool. Thanks for the info everyone.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#9]
If you head to Buffalo Gun Center, be sure you know what you're looking for and a reasonable price.  I've found some of their prices to be really wacked out.  $200 for a stripped Bushmaster receiver is one item that comes to mind.

But I did get a good deal on a used scope the other day and they also have used shotgun barrels for reasonable prices.  I may wind up buying one for deer season.

They have a wide selection set out on the gun racks.  Those are nice to drool over and will hold you over if you're suffering withdrawal from not being at a gun show for so long.  They usually have a couple .50BMGs out, but I forget if they were there a couple days ago.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#10]
BY the way, Sharky, if you've only been to Buffalo Gun Center once, where do you get all your supplies?  Do you mail order, or just not buy that much.

Buffalo Gun Center has the reputation as pretty much the cat's ass of gunshops in WNY.  I've heard people from Syracuse to Springville mentioning it.  Gander Mountain will definately be giving them a run for their money, though.

By the way I was at Buffalo Gun center the other day.  I was quoted the following on new rifles (all are lever action .22s):

Marlin 39A and some type of Winchester - $400
Browning BL-22 $380
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#11]
for ammo I mail order
my pistol permit isn't from Erie county so the handguns I have I bought in Chautauqua county so I could drive to the permit office and back to the gun store without much trouble. also got my AR at that same store. Plus some guns bought at guns shows from dealers, with all the paperwork.
I did notice that Buffalo Gun Center has large amounts of ammo so I might take a clsoer look at their prices. sales tax might end up being less than shipping
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top