Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2003 4:42:14 PM EDT
I was talking to a friend and he was complaining about renewing his Pistol Permit.

He said it was $200 for the next 5 years.

The last time I renewed mine I remember it being around $40-$50.

My renewal is not due for a another couple of years yet, but has it gone up that much?

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Under NYS law the maximum fee is $10.00 except in NYC and Nassau County.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Nassau County.

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]
It's $200 in Nassau County.  Tell them they can kiss my ass!

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn!

Well, I have two years to save up.

Or move!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Gun Owners Target Fee Hike

By Celeste Hadrick
STAFF WRITER

March 5, 2002

Seven Nassau gun owners have filed suit against the county, charging that Nassau legislators imposed an illegal tax when they voted two years ago to increase pistol permit fees to $200 from $25.

The lawsuit, funded by the National Rifle Association on behalf of about 39,000 Nassau pistol permit holders, was filed in State Supreme Court in Mineola two weeks ago and asks that the 700 percent fee increase approved by the legislature in June 2000 be thrown out, plaintiff Brian F. Pemberton, said yesterday.

Pemberton, of Glen Cove, said state law stipulates that permit fees are intended to cover the administrative costs of issuing the permits and are not to make money for the agency.

Because a police spokesman had said during the legislative hearing that the cost of issuing pistol permits is $75, Pemberton said the increase was illegal.

"They singled out one group of people with an illegal tax on firearms," Pemberton said.

Presiding Officer Judy Jacobs (D-Woodbury) said the suit has no basis. "The pistol permit holders in Nassau County were not singled out," she said. "This was a total package arrived at in a bipartisan fashion on this legislature that affected fees and permit fees and violation fees, child care fees, golf fees, a whole myriad of different uses."

She said the police accounting office had provided legislators with a cost analysis that showed the average pistol license requires 10 hours of investigation, at a cost of $513 plus fringe benefits; one hour of administrative review and approval at a cost of $61.43 plus fringe benefits; and three hours of clerical processing for a cost of $68.67. Most applications need some kind of follow-up, bringing the average processing cost to $1,000 for each application, the analysis concluded.

Alluding to the county's financial problems, Jacobs added, "I'm sorry people are upset. I have to warn everyone that there are going to be more difficult decisions made within a few weeks ... These are difficult times, and difficult times require difficult decisions. The gun permit holder decision was only one of many."

Pemberton said he expected the county to file an answer to the suit by the end of the month.

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Thsnks for that article rkbar15.

I'll investigate.

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#7]
renewal?
I thought they were issued for life? mine is
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
renewal?

Nope. Nassau County is every 5 years.

Damn, $200 is a lot to stamp a piece of paper.

Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
renewal?

Nope. Nassau County is every 5 years.

Damn, $200 is a lot to stamp a piece of paper.

Westchester is only good for five years now too. I think the big fee (since they mention "investigation") is for the INITIAL permit. I would think that a renewal is simpler and cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
The renewal fee for Nassau County is $200. The renewal fee for Westchester is $10.

www.rantpipe.com/Articles/MJNassauGunProcess.asp

Renewals
Nassau-issued Pistol Licenses are valid for 5 years. This is still a much better bargain than New York City ($255 for 3 years, or $85.00/year).

Renewals cost the same as the original license ($200.00). Assuming your license is in good standing, renewal notices are mailed a month or so before your license is scheduled to expire. You cannot plead ignorance if you don't receive the notice in the mail. Federal law requires that a new background check be run. You MUST report and document any arrests that have occurred. If you choose not to renew your license, it will be cancelled.

When I called the Pistol section to listen to the automated message, I heard two interesting things:

When you renew, you can pay by check

If your check is returned by your bank, your license is suspended

Food for thought :)

MJ

Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The renewal fee for Nassau County is $200. The renewal fee for Westchester is $10.

www.rantpipe.com/Articles/MJNassauGunProcess.asp

Renewals
Nassau-issued Pistol Licenses are valid for 5 years. This is still a much better bargain than New York City ($255 for 3 years, or $85.00/year).

Renewals cost the same as the original license ($200.00). Assuming your license is in good standing, renewal notices are mailed a month or so before your license is scheduled to expire. You cannot plead ignorance if you don't receive the notice in the mail. Federal law requires that a new background check be run. You MUST report and document any arrests that have occurred. If you choose not to renew your license, it will be cancelled.

When I called the Pistol section to listen to the automated message, I heard two interesting things:

When you renew, you can pay by check

If your check is returned by your bank, your license is suspended

Food for thought :)

MJ

The fee for a pistol license in Rockland County is $74 dollars for the state and $10 dollars for the county.  This is for life.  

Honestly, this should be statewide not pick and choose by county.

Sorry man but that's crap in Nassau County.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#12]
they are supposed to be bringing a suit to get the hunting and target removed also
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:41:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
they are supposed to be bringing a suit to get the hunting and target removed also

Who is?  The folks in Nassau?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Do the math. 40,000 permits up for renewal every five years is a cool 8,000,000 dollars.    
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I remember getting a letter County Exec. Gulotta about those increases back then. I don't have a pistol permit but I'm guessing the NRA sent a letter on my behalf since I didn't send one at the time. One of the things the letter said that sportsmen/conservationists understood the need for an increase and were willing to do their part to help. Now that part I found BS.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:45:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Wouldn't THAT be nice!

edited to say: Would that mean CCW?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top