Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2003 5:19:24 AM EDT
NRA chief at book signing vows to try and ease gun control in state..... About friggin time....

www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030611/1028229.asp

The National Rifle Association is taking aim at New York State in its drive to give law-abiding citizens free access to guns, Wayne La-
Pierre, the organization's chief executive officer, said Tuesday during an appearance at Borders bookstore in Cheektowaga.
"Some politicians in Albany think New Yorkers don't support the Second Amendment. But our polls show overwhelming support. It's no different than the rest of the country," La-
Pierre said.

He spent more than three hours at the store signing copies of his latest book, "Guns, Freedom and Terrorism."

He called New York and California - another state in the NRA's crosshairs - "out of step with the rest of the country" because of gun controls in both places.

"Over the next few years, we'll be working from a legal standpoint to make the situation better," he vowed.

The nation's most visible gun rights advocate, now that Charlton Heston has retired as NRA president, LaPierre claimed there has been "an amazing turnaround" in Americans' support for gun ownership since George W. Bush succeeded Bill Clinton as president - and since the 2001 terrorist attacks.

"Thirty-five states now have the right to carry a firearm," he said. "I remember when we started, only six had a right-to-carry law."

There has been a similar reversal in Congress, where Republicans now control both the House and Senate, he added. He predicted the ban on assault rifles enacted in 1994 "will probably be allowed to sunset" and that lawsuits aimed at holding arms manufacturers responsible for gun violence will go nowhere.

LaPierre contended that leading Congressional Democrats don't dare oppose gun rights because so many rank-and-file party members side with the NRA. He accused Democratic Sen. Charles E. Schumer of New York and Diane Feinstein of California of using "scare tactics" - claiming that terrorists are shopping for weapons at U.S. gun shows - to incite anti-gun fervor.

During the book signing, LaPierre talked with people who walked up to his table from a long line snaking through the aisles at the back of the store.

The buyers were white and mostly men between ages 20 and 70, although a number of women also held copies of LaPierre's book.

"A lot of Democrats are coming back to the Second Amendment," he told a man in line who looked to be in his 60s. "They grab you and say, "Look, Clinton is over.' "

The author, who was starting a three-day tour that will take him to Albany and several New England cities, also plugged the firearms museum at NRA headquarters in Fairfax, Va.

"We've got guns that came over on the Mayflower down there," he said, "and some guns that were used at Lexington and Concord."

The NRA Web site describes LaPierre's 246-page book, with foreword by Rush Limbaugh, as "a critical look at those who try to destroy the Second Amendment behind the guise of fighting terrorism in America." By the time LaPierre left, all of the store's 250 copies were sold, a Borders spokesman said.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I had to work or I would have gone and seen him, I've been to that Borders store many times, usually to get shotgun news before a gun show to check current prices.
Making Pistol Permits unneeded would be nice, or at least some uniform standards for issuing across the state. For example, in Chautauqua county where I got mine it took less than 3 months and I have no restrictions on it, but in Erie and other counties they restrict the hell out of it.
Assuming the fed's awb expires, getting NY to repeal their's would be nice too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Right to carry in NY?  How does it work in other states, regarding small businesses?  I can just see some Long Island hardware store or bait and tackle shop owner flipping out when armed customers come in.  It would almost force small storeowners to buy a gun, whether they wanted to or not.   Not to mention the $200 pistol permit fee here.
Also, although I suppose some restrictions could be lifted, I'll bet that they will only be lifted if replaced by user fees and the like.  I have yet to see a bridge toll go down in price.
But everyone says I'm negative anyway...
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Pequa,

NY would do well just to meet the standards held in at least 48(?)states of the union, where, at least, there is a right to possess. (As in, you don't need to get the permission to own a pistol from your local government.)

I've legally owned pistols since 1988, until I arrived in NY. Despite the fact that I've legally owned and possessed some of these pistols for better than a decade, have had true concealed carry permits from other states, am an active duty Marine, and have no criminal history whatsoever, I had to apply for permission to possess a pistol again. I'll tell whether I can carry it other than to and from the range and hunting, when it finally gets approved. Meanwhile, my collection is sitting in my FFL's vault, after paying transfer and shipping fees from out of state.  

Quoted:
How does it work in other states, regarding small businesses? I can just see some Long Island hardware store or bait and tackle shop owner flipping out when armed customers come in. It would almost force small storeowners to buy a gun, whether they wanted to or not...

Concealed means just that..."concealed". If done properly, no one knows. It shouldn't matter, but if a business owner wants to prevent anybody from carrying firearms into their place, they can post their wishes. Of course, that still wouldn't have any bearing on the actions of someone who wasn't planning on being a good citizen!

I'm pretty sure there are some business and homeowners, particularly in NYC, who wish they had the right to possess.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Matter of fact, I have a dream:

Originally posted on http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=190894

www.adn.com/alaska/story/3280484p-3310005c.html

No permit needed to carry concealed guns
IN 90 DAYS: Governor signed bill, praising it as a Second Amendment victory.

By MIKE CHAMBERS
The Associated Press

(Published: June 12, 2003)
JUNEAU -- Alaskans will no longer need a permit to carry a concealed weapon under a bill signed into law Wednesday.

In signing the bill, Gov. Frank Murkowski lauded the work of the Legislature and the National Rifle Association in protecting the Second Amendment rights of Alaskans.

The bill would adopt the so-called "Vermont Carry" law that allows residents to carry a concealed weapon without a special permit. Vermont has no laws against carrying concealed weapons, the governor's office said.

That's carry, not just possess!

In Alaska, someone who applies for a concealed handgun permit is required to take a handgun course certified by the state Department of Public Safety.

Rep. Eric Croft, D-Anchorage, said he sponsored the bill out of frustration with continually fine-tuning the state's gun laws.

"I object to the government putting a precondition on that constitutional right (to carry a weapon). I'm presumed to be a responsible citizen until proven otherwise," Croft said.

Me too!

House Bill 102 does not eliminate the state's concealed handgun permit program. The governor's office said Alaskans could still apply for a permit in order to carry a concealed weapon in other states or to be exempt from background checks when purchasing firearms.

But the bill, which takes effect in 90 days, would allow Alaskans who can legally carry a firearm to carry it concealed without such a permit.

It does not change prohibitions against carrying firearms into courthouses, school yards, bars and domestic violence shelters.

About 17,000 concealed handgun permits have been issued in Alaska, said Greg Wilkinson, a spokesman for the Alaska State Troopers.

The measure will aid gun owners particularly in rural areas where handgun safety courses may not be readily available, Croft said.

While the measure won broad support among lawmakers -- more than half in the 60-member Legislature signed on as co-sponsors -- it did have its detractors.

Sen. Con Bunde, R-Anchorage, was among 10 lawmakers voting against the bill. Bunde said current Alaska law requires someone to understand their legal obligations and demonstrate proficiency before receiving a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

He said people often misuse handguns because of a lack of firearm education and training.

"I am a strong gun advocate and very concerned that every time someone misuses a gun, particularly a handgun, we lose in the court of public opinion," Bunde said.

Also signed into law was a bill to require the state Department of Public Safety to recognize all concealed carry permits issued in other states.

The gun bills were among nearly a dozen new laws signed by Murkowski during a ceremony in Wasilla.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
NY would do well just to meet the standards held in at least 48(?)states of the union, where, at least, there is a right to possess. (As in, you don't need to get the permission to own a pistol from your local government.)

I don't know the right number but it may not be 48.  I believe Michigan and New Jersey both have purchase order requirements for handguns.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I hope LaPierre was truly being sincere when he said the NRA was going to concentrate on NYS and Kalifornia.

NYS and Kalifornia (especially Kalifornia) often are "trend-setting" states.  They will pass goofy or onerous laws, and a few years later, other states start adopting them as well.

If the NRA can turn back the tide on gun control in either state, it will mean good things for attempts at gun control in the other 48 states.

-Nick Viejo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top