Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2003 3:13:45 AM EDT
From The NRA website...

AB 8542, a bill that would expand the current handgun ballistic identification program to include rifles and shotguns, was considered by the Assembly Codes Committee and referred to the Assembly Ways and Means Committee. As it stands, New York's program requiring manufacturers, wholesalers, and dealers to provide ballistic samples to the state police before a handgun can legally be sold has yet to lead to a single successful prosecution of a criminal and already costs millions of dollars per year. Also considered by the Assembly Codes Committee was AB 4615A, a bill that would require law-abiding gun owners to lock up their guns or go to jail. AB 4615A was approved by the committee and now heads to the full Assembly for consideration. Please contact your Assembly member and urge him to oppose A 4615A and A 8542.

Please Contact your state representive....
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn these people (and I use that term losely) are freaking crazy.  Just how do they plan on fingerprinting say a 12gauge pump that someone fires buckshot through?  As long as you keep your shell they are SOL.  It's kinda funny we are broke and they want to piss more money down the toilet.

As far as the locking up of the guns I don't think we stand much chance on that.  It wont cost the state any money to implement the law untill they start arresting people for it.  They will just say it's for the children and everyone will say wow great idea.  It is kinda redundent though seeing as about the only way for it to ever be inforced is if someone steals your guns and they are not locked, or someone kills or wounds someone with one of your guns that wasn't secured.  

Seeing as how they will most likely nail you with reckless endangerment,endangering a child and possibly negligent homicide if your gun was ever used "accidently" to kill a child adding a charge of not being secured is pretty silly.  They have already sent you to jail for most of the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Washington State had a similar mandatory "trigger lock" referendum several years ago. The compromise bill that passed and was signed into law, placed all firearm security devices into a sales tax free status!

While this might seem insignificant for a $5 trigger lock, you save quite a bit on a new Gun Safe!
.Not that a loss of tax revenue would ever pass in Albany
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm... One thing balistic fingerprinting does cost money, the state has no money, therefore no law. Just a thought.

About locking them up though, most/ALL of us already do lock up our guns. It seems more like an insurance thing, you own them and are therefore responsible for them. Just another charge to tack on if someone does steal your firearms.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:04:18 AM EDT
[#4]
The locking up of firearms is understood as long as the bedside shotgun does not become the target. If someone decides to pay a unwanted visit at 3am and I wish to properly greet them...., hopefully the law does not target this. The basic law of self defence....

As far as the ballistic finger printing fiasco, more money for a technology that does not work. We all know the state is rolling in the green stuff... Yeah right...It is a smoke screen for REGISTRATION.
First it was the new handguns.....
Now it is new rifles and shotguns....
Next it will be every firearm, new or used....
Just one step to eliminate a person to person transfer... Wake up and smell this beast for what it is!

Dan out
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#5]
PickupDan if it's anything like the City of Syracuse law it is targeting the bedside shotgun.  However you would only run into a problem if said shotgun was stolen when you were not home and it wasn't locked up, your child got your shotgun and Accidently injured or killed someone,or the police search your bedroom while you wern't at home.

As far as I know the guns are supposed to be secured when not in use.  If you are home you can be theoreticly using the gun to protect your home.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Syracuse has a lock up law? Ive never heard of it and I live there.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes they do and I also live there
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm... Only in City limits tho?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#10]
going to have to write some letters soon. and using the budget crisis as a point against this and not the standard gun rights arguments might help sway the legislators that are fence sitters with regards to guns
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes in the city limits
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I thought the Syracuse lock up law did not get passed! Do you know when this was?

Aimless no I don't know when it was passed.  It was in my pistol permit package though.  However it has other lies in it so who knows
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Note to self:
If ever invovled in an illegal discharge of firearm stolen from another state, dump a bucket of range pick-ups at the scean. Thousands of dollars in lab fees searching for something that isn't there without usable data doesn't look good to the budget committee.
My satirical remarks are poingint of the fact that not one single prosicution has resulted from the ballistic fingerprint bullshit. Altho, now we have more Government employees to take care of for the rest of their lives. Maby I should get a State job.....No, I've too much self respect.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Maby I should get a State job.....No, I've too much self respect.

Yeah but you would get a pention... lol

Did you hear about the cop in Syracuse yesterday? Heres the story Stupid Cop
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Which county do you live in? Cayuga?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Well he just blew his career
Felony domestic involving a weapon baaad ju-ju.
will loose his firearms right if he guilty of a domestic. LE included.
BTW: I live in Jefferson county.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry I didnt say so; I live in Madison county. Originally of Monroe county.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Maby I should get a State job.....No, I've too much self respect.

Yeah but you would get a pention... lol

Did you hear about the cop in Syracuse yesterday? Heres the story Stupid Cop

Avery saidhe heard an additional verbal exchange between the man in the Jeep and one of the men outside the vehicle before someone yelled that the man in the Jeep had a gun.

"Everyone then ran and tried to pile into my Geo Tracker," Avery said, noting he called 911 as people continued yelling

"Everyone then ran and tried to pile into my Geo Tracker,"

Can you picture this scene?
ROTFLMAO!

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I alredy have lol. You would not belive how many GEOs you see around here... Its uncanny.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Well he just blew his career
Felony domestic involving a weapon baaad ju-ju.
will loose his firearms right if he guilty of a domestic. LE included.
BTW: I live in Jefferson county.

no shit!!

i am currently stuck in fort mud re, uh, fort drum...  hehe

at least for the next week or so..
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Welcome to the new world order!?

Glendenning did this shit here in Maryland while the state is totally broke.

It sounds like a great idea to the Anti's and the yuppies who know nothing about guns. Its all just a feel good law and really does nothing.

Save your letters, it does nothing people.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Dude, NY politics is beyond the understanding of mere mortals (people from other states). Its not gonna pass and if it does it wont be enforced.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
if it does it wont be enforced.

Umm.. the first kid killed/injured with the owners unsecured firearm sure as shit will get prosecuted if this becomes law.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Point taken. Im just not one to take criticism/advice from Maryland of all places on how to work our legislative process.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top