Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2003 2:18:48 PM EDT
Memorial Day. The day when we are supposed to celebrate freedom and honor veterans.

At about 1700 when the rain let up I decided to go out and shoot with my brothers. We were shooting a 7.5mm Swiss K31, not wanting to alarm the neighbors, lol. We shot about 20 rounds back in to the woods behind our house at some milk jugs and stuff. Then we went in and ate supper.

As I was writing this at about 1800 the County Sheriff shows up. Nice guy and all but it seems the people down the road have been alarmed because of the "celebrating". Now being 17 didnt help but he is a nice guy and informed me that I have be about 500 ft away houses including my own. lol. Either way no ticket and I didnt get arrested or anything.

Now about the people down the street who called. They play VERY loud music all the time up until about 300 IN THE MORNING and I CAN HERE IT IN THE GDF HOUSE. Next time when I am EXACTLY 500 ft away ALL HOUSES they can KMA.

Peace out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Next time invite the bunch of us all over and we'll bring some big toys and REALLY give em a thrill!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad to hear you're still a free man, albeit an understandably pissed off one.
Granted I don't know the full details of your situation and I don't claim to be a brain surgeon ( although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nite hereI only mention this because I've had some surprising results using the " path of least resistance" in the past.
Just a thought, and as always: consider the source
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I hear ya.

One problem is that even though there are houses pretty close to mine I actually live outside of the city limits and I dont think there are any noise ordnances. I shouldve mentioned that Ive been shooting in my backyard for about a year (as long as I have lived in NY) and the people on each side of me dont give a shit but this hose is kitty corner and we really dont know them.

Like i said though the sheriff is a cool guy, Ill just go farther back in the woods next time. Ive thought about joining a range but the nearest one is about a 20 minute drive across the city.

Im just pissed that people are so hypocritcal. It just pisses me off.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually ZRH, The 500 ft limit is not a Noise Ordnance , its a State Law, its illegal to Discharge a firearm Within 500 Ft of a Residence (outdoors of course) in NY State.

The Sherrif were being very nice about it.

I would suggest that for your own safety and education that you take a Basic Firearms or Hunting education Class. I thought i knew a lot about Firearms and shooting untill i took one of those Classes, it opneded my eyes, Most Gun Clubs including mine Gives those Classes for free to the Public.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Already have takin hunter saftey course. About the noise though, I was refering to the partying down the road. Read it all.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah I hear ya.
Im just pissed that people are so hypocritcal. It just pisses me off.

Yup. Everybody's an A-hole, except me syndrome. Very common nowadays.
Like they say:
"When you look up at the night sky (if the rain ever stops that is)...You see all those little stars and planets? They're all rotating around my precious little butt." No...really...they are.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Aimless.. I always thought it was legal to discharge within 500 feet of your dwelling if you owned it.

Funny how hunting laws get twisted...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey... Thats the info the sheriff said he wasnt sure of lol.

Ive already put a stake in the ground exactly 501 ft from my house. From now on well shoot from there.

c. any auto-loading firearm of a construction to contain more than six shells in the magazine and chamber combined, except
(1) such a firearm using twenty-two caliber rim-fire [fig 1] ammunition, or
(2) such a firearm which has been altered so as to reduce its capacity to not more than six shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, or
(3) an auto-loading pistol having a barrel less than eight inches in length.

Hmm wouldnt that make it illeagle to shoot M1As and AR-15s?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:09:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Ive already put a stake in the ground exactly 501 ft from my house. From now on well shoot from there.

Well pull it up! You can shoot all you like off your back porch.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRUE FACT! I used to shoot off my KITCHEN TABLE, through the (open) window in rainy weather about 15 years ago. Neighbor from like a 1/4 mile away who probably couldn't even hear it, but had "heard" that I did it, was an asshole and called the cops. The radio complaint was received by the guy sitting next to me,  waiting his turn. Neighbor got read the riot act by the local PD about "crank calls" on their way home that day......
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought we already went over this. lol
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Did we? So it seems you'll be shooting 501 feet from your house if that's what you mean. If it suits you have at it. But, for those of us who would like to shoot off their porches in NY please do so, as it's 100% legal. Just as long as you are still 500 ft away from someone else's house.

Oh ZRH, perhaps the problem with your shooting is that your parents might not approve..  so,  yeah.. I guess the 501 feet for you makes a lot of sense.. :)
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I meant that the sheriff said ANY BUILDING although the law reads differently. Just if I may ask have you ever tried explaining the law to a cop, it just dont work.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes I have, many times.. :)
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yes I have, many times.. :)

Yeah, and tell the truth....DID IT WORK???
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#18]
If it didn't and they did something else they'd get charges.. :)
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#19]
FYI that 500 ft. nonsense DOES NOT APPLY to property you own, rent, or have permission to be on!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I know. lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top