Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2003 4:16:25 PM EDT
Fresh on the heels of the wildly successful May ARFCOM-NJ shoot, its NJ AR Blast III!

When:  7/5/03
Where:  Ft Dix Range 14 (see directions below)
What:  Lots of fantastic people, fantastic post-ban weapons and FUN!

Well folks, we have seen two increasingly successful get-togethers here in the Garden State and the next one promises to be the best one yet!  I have some very cool things in store for all of you and some new info to share...

First, as you all may or may not know, I have financed the last two shoots in terms of range rental.  It has been my pleasure to have established and fostered this gathering of superb individuals and I will continue to subsidize the events to the best of my ability.  (And I don't want to hear a thing about it!)  

However, attendance is going up and the rental is going to potentially be 'steep' (like, more than $400) the next time around, assuming we see another small increase in size.  So, I am going to have to ask everyone who comes to the next one to contribute $15 to help offset some of the day's range rental and target purchases.  I ask this strictly on a voluntary basis, I do not demand this from anyone.  Money or not, everyone is welcome.

Now the cool stuff!

Your $15 contribution buys you a chance in a raffle for a new/unfired CAVALRY ARMS LOWER RECEIVER!!  Each person will write their name on a ticket and we will draw one from a hat at some point in the shoot.  NJ members, I will have the appropriate paperwork on hand to do a private transfer so be sure and bring your FID cards!  Out of state residents, I will give you my contact info so you can forward me FFL info to ship it to.  Here is a pic of the prize:

In addition, I will have a 50/50 drawing for all who want to participate at $5 per entry.  Same deal as above, pick a name from a hat.  Winner gets half the pool.  I will use the other half of the pool towards a raffle for the next shoot.

Well folks, I think I'm almost at the limit for this post so, that's all for now!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are the directions again, just so they're up here.

I know they are long but, I was very descriptive with them. The whole trip is really very simple.

•Take NJ Turnpike to Exit 7

•After paying toll, take Rt. 206 South

•After a short distance, make a LEFT onto Rt. 68. This is a very well marked intersection with signs for Fort Dix. Also, you can only turn left or go straight at this light, there is no right turn. Rt. 68 is larger highway divided in the middle by a grass median.

•After several miles, you will turn LEFT onto Rt. 537/Monmouth Rd. If you go too far, you will run into the entrance to Ft Dix and the MPs will tell you so. Just turn around and go back a couple of roads.

•After a couple of miles, you will come to an intersection with a WAWA on the far left corner, a diner on the far right corner, a motel on the near left and a gas station on the near right. The WAWA is a good landmark and the last/best place to stop for supplies before getting to the range… Continue straight through the light and on 537.

•A couple of miles past the WAWA you will go through a traffic light. Soon after that you will pass a farm market on your left (with the farm on both sides of the road) and then come to a flashing yellow light. Turn RIGHT at the flashing light onto Jacobstown Cookstown Rd. Note – one of the signs on the corner only says Jacobstown Rd but, that’s the one you want. Just look for the flashing yellow light; that is the best landmark.

•Follow this road to the end, it is a couple of miles. When you get to the end/stop sign, turn RIGHT onto the little main street of Cookstown. I do not believe there are any street signs here.

•Once you go through town you will pass a farm field and then cross over onto the military reservation. (Ft Dix) There is one little white sign that you might miss but, as soon as the field ends and the woods begin, you are on base. Continue straight, this is now Range Rd. You will pass some Bivouac sites on the right and a range or two on the left and the ‘urban’ range on the right. Look for ‘Messina Range’ on your left and the urban/MOUT looking range on your right (they are directly across from each other). These are good landmarks and Range 14 is the next left up the road. You will see a small brown sign on the left that says ‘Ft Dix Rod & Gun Club – Range 14’. Turn LEFT here.

•Go down the short road and cross the tank trail and go through the gate. (you will see the red ‘range hot’ flag flying) Go straight down the long ‘driveway’. You will pass the skeet/trap range on your left, the small archery courses on your right and will eventually come to the rifle range. (You have to turn left)

•We have tables 13 and 14 which are the last two on the right. (These would be the first two you will see when you pull in) Look for a black F-150 parked on the line. You can pull up to the line to unload and the park in the gravel lot right behind our positions so others can pull up and unload.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
WOOHOO, Here we go again !

Anthony from VA.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anthony from VA.

Actually, I talked to him and it looks like he is probably going to come up for this one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
FMJunkie, you sir are completely, and without a doubt, a class act. It still amazes me just how well these shoots have formed, and a lot of that is thanks to you.

You can bet I'll be there.....aside from work I don't have much of a life.

.....so, unless there really WILL need to be war waged upon the weather gods, are we gonna shoot for a barbeque this time as well?

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Great ! Just referring what he'd like to do after a long drive.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
As Rob pointed out, I should be able to make this one. I hope some more new people come out to this one. Since my drive is about 7 1/2 hours, I think a couple of hours in the car won't hurt anyone else. I will hope for good weather as well this time.

Rob, I think you need to fix that camera.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
.....so, unless there really WILL need to be war waged upon the weather gods, are we gonna shoot for a barbeque this time as well?

Actually, the range told me that they thought that big skeet shooter event thing was that weekend.  That means that that entire area next to the skeet towers where the picnic tables and grills are is completely overrun.  So, it looks like no BBQ this time.

I'm still all for hitting the usual place afterwards though!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:50:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I will be there without a doubt. I had a great time at the last one. Where do we send the donations ( paypall ?). If more people come I guess we will need another lane or two. I will be happy to help with the cost above the initial $15.00. Let me know. I will order more ammo ASAP!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#9]
im all over this again...
I did bring 500 rounds of ammo which i think some of the guys did use so I can bring some more...
$15 bux plus 5
shoot no problem there
I might have some new toys by then
Im just waiting on a few things to go through
count me in
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#10]
we need a bigger table
I would like to see how many ARs we can have in one pic for proof that AR's do exist in NJ
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll check with my connections in the vegetable kingdom. If you have a particularly hated fruit or veggie from your demented childhood post it and I will try to accomodate your revenge.hinking
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Where do we send the donations ( paypall ?).

Just bring it with you.

Hey guys, I've come up with an idea for 'range acceptable' reactive targets in place of the bowling pins.  Its an all wood knock down or 'pepper popper' type target.  I should have one put together tomorrow and I'll post a pic.  They should be a lot of fun!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Speaking from experience here, most produce is less than eventful to shoot.  Melons and soft-core/high water content fruit work the best.

You all saw the canteloupes, watermelons react in a similar way.  Oranges/grapefruits are a little less gratifying but still react ok.  Apples, pears, eggplant and similar dense and 'hard' produce etc. are no fun, they just break/chip.

So, my suggestion is to keep the produce selection narrow.  Canteloupe, honeydew, watermelon are probably the ideal selection if you are looking to shoot some fruits.  (he he)

In addition, clay pigeons can be suspended from string using a binder clip.  That is actually a lot of fun, especially if there is a slight breeze and they are swaying a bit.  This also works well for empty soda cans.

Also remember that I am working on reactive targets that should prove to be a lot of fun!  I should have a pic up tonight...
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the clay pigeons idea . I have a couple of box's in the shed doing nothing. Do you think the range master will have a problem with them ?. They do make a mess.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#15]
how about just pigeons
like the random one that may fly down into our sights?
hehehe just kidding
and yes I had evil thoughts of big watermelons for ballistics testing!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Also remember that I am working on reactive targets that should prove to be a lot of fun!  I should have a pic up tonight...

How's the status on those pictures?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#17]
ping... pong.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ping... pong.

hinking.gif
Does this mean you've been bad and want to be paddled?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry guys, I have been really sick...  I have what the doctor says is 'a touch of pneumonia'.  I have been hardly able to breathe these last few days and the elephant meds I'm on put me down for about 6 hours every time I take them.

Luckily my 'prototype' was 99% constructed before this thing really hit me.  I just have to attach one last piece, one of the 'arms' to the base, and its done.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Hi ROB, wishing you a speedy recovery, the pneu is something ya don't screw around with.Hope to see your "Invention" soon.Take care .
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess they decided that you don't have SARS? Just try to take it easy and get some rest, and I hope you are feeling better soon.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#22]
hey do any of you guys have a laser boresighter
I need a hand in helping sight my rifle in...
that last shoot was to break in the barrel and run a few hundred round thru it
man it was soooooo dirty at the end of the day
crap everywhere from the fed xm193
i dont think it has all the adjustments like the arms 40 but it needs a bit if help
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey guys!

There hasn't been much activity on this thread and I wanted to make sure the buzz didn't die!

Its almost time to get together and blast away again!  I am soooooo looking forward to this one!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:13:04 AM EDT
[#24]
We've been waitin' for ya to get outta BED !.Anyway, I have an brand new L.U.L.A. to contribute to a raffle/door prize or for a little competition winner.How 'bout that for JULY 5th.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:34:18 AM EDT
[#25]
hey now

More prizes make the trip better

Im still gonna go i think
I ve been at R14 a few more times also
and im gonna go there a few more times
as I just got a Glock 21 45 cal anyone
can shoot also. Good to see youre alive FMJ
bring that varminter again. i love that rifle
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Hmm....this is a tough one.

"AR15FCOM Get Together" or a beach full of bikini clad women.  Wonder if we coould have the shoot at the beach?  Plenty of seaguls as moving targets.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#27]
What time does this go to?  I think my girl will be down till about 2, getting me to the blast (me and at least one friend) around 3)...  Is this too late?

I was thinking about seagulls the other day (was in Ocean City, boardwalk)...

What the hell happened to the normal seagulls?  all i see now (I saw 3 to 5 regular ones, and they were HUGE) are the 'regular' sized ones but with black heads... looks like they are wearing masks... wth?!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What time does this go to?  I think my girl will be down till about 2, getting me to the blast (me and at least one friend) around 3)...  Is this too late?

I was thinking about seagulls the other day (was in Ocean City, boardwalk)...

What the hell happened to the normal seagulls?  all i see now (I saw 3 to 5 regular ones, and they were HUGE) are the 'regular' sized ones but with black heads... looks like they are wearing masks... wth?!

Well, the last two times everybody seemed to disperse around 2-ish.  I think 3 is probably too late.  But hey, you can always bring the better half along!  Lord knows there will be plenty of hardware to shoot...
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Hmm....this is a tough one.

"AR15FCOM Get Together" or a beach full of bikini clad women.  Wonder if we coould have the shoot at the beach?  Plenty of seaguls as moving targets.  

A Beach Blanket BANG-BANG ? Rem you're on to something here ! Gunning for gulls and young hotties in bikinis flocking around us wanting to fondle our GUNS
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#30]
hehehehe
yes 2-3ish is late
I was all shot out by then
especially after FMjunkie blasted me with a brake on his AR10 when i couldnt get it to load and fire
im game and bringing a few people probably if they wake up
as for ammo
i have to get some
unless you guys get a killer deal I dont know about
let me in on it
Wolf just smells too much for me to use it all day
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I live over in Philadelphia so i guess i can't bring mine. what can I bring? ammo,mags??? I'll show up just to support the ar community
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey FMJunkie...How'd you make out with that reactive target?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Seaguls work great as reative targets!  

Work good for shark bait too!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Eh, so-so...  The knock-down concept actually worked quite well but, there are two problems:

1) When the first one falls, it knocks the second one down.  (there are two arms on the 'prototype')  Kind of a pain.

2) The size to cost to # of arms ratio was out of whack.  In other words, with two arms its kind of big and bulky.  Also, it kind of cost a lot for a 'degradable' target and making any quantity of them would be prohibitive.  I'll put a pic of the prototype here in a sec...

However, I am going to salvage some of the parts and convert one of my older target stands so it has a bunch of hanging targets attached by small gate hinges that will swing when hit.

Also, I have a stand that can suspend numerous clay pigeons on strings.  I have used this before and its challenging and fun, both at short range/iron sights and long range/scope...
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, scratch the pic idea...  Someting seems to be wrong with the ARFCOM picture gallery and I can't upload anything.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#36]
What time does it start?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:13:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
What time does it start?

We usually start about 10 AM till about 2 pm.
If you do not want to bring your own firearms, that OK. We have plenty of RIFLES!Our Gracious Host, FMJunkie may respond to your question on what you may bring into Jersey, if you're not sure of its laws.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:04:14 AM EDT
[#38]
hey is it OK to bring a piece of sheetrock there?
I want to try seeing how things go through a piece of it
i just have to figure out how to stand it up
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#39]
FMJunkie: The reactive stand was made of wood or metal? I'm guessing mostly wood.
I have some wood stands and metal spike holders that raise only 4" above ground. Think they would be okay? If so I'll bring a couple.

555R: If the sheetrock is okay, just bang a couple stakes in behind it and it should be fine.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:12:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Going to try and bring two friends with me @ 10/1030am.

=)

One a regular shooter, the other a new guy, hopefully having put some downrange before that (outstanding guy though, knows his safety with paintball, airsoft, air rifles, etc)
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#41]
do we have a headcount for this?
im going plus possibly three people who want to go
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Attendance poll added.  Vote early, vote often!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#43]
I voted...but I am not real sure about the whole bananna in my pocket thing.  Honestly...it won't be anything more than a blocked 30 round mag...I promise.  

With any luck, I'll be bringing my LT and another buddy.  They just do not let us shoot enough in the New Jersey guard.  I think the institutional fear of firearms has seeped through to the A.G.  

Looking forward to it
ka
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:11:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Now THAT'S the spirit!

KingAirPilot, I would love to meet your friends!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:48:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Awww yeah
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#47]
So only 11 people?
Hey FMJunkie or others
are you guys getting any good deals on ammo
Im a bit short on 223 40S&W and 45Auto
let meknow what you can get and how much
plinking ammo
I cant find wolf in handgun calibers around here
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
So only 11 people?
Hey FMJunkie or others
are you guys getting any good deals on ammo
Im a bit short on 223 40S&W and 45Auto
let meknow what you can get and how much
plinking ammo
I cant find wolf in handgun calibers around here

I know a couple of those 11 are bringing 1-2 friends each.  Also, we only had that many votes last time and more people showed.  I'm guessing its going to be like last time which was a pretty good crowd.

As for ammo, I order from www.natchezss.com for .223.  Either Lake City or American Eagle, its approx. $80 or $85 per case (500 rds) incuding shipping.  If you hurry up and order you should get it on time.  They sell just about any caliber you need and I've always been happy with them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#49]
The ammunitionstore.com is also another good company to buy ammo from. They usually have good prices on Wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm about 95% certain that I'll be there on Saturday.

A few questions. Is this rifle only or will we be shooting pistols? I just loaded about 300 .45 rounds.

Also, anyone familiar with an SKS? I have one that I have never shot. Don't know the first thing about it.

If anyone wants to buy some primers I have Federal LP, SP and SR. Let me know via IM. $13.00 per M.

TIA,

Mike
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top