Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2003 9:06:43 AM EDT
JUST A QUICK QUESTION. IM NEW TO THIA AND WAS WONDERING WHAT THE LAWS ARE FOR SHOOTING ON MY OWN PROPERTY IN HERKIMER CTY NY. I HAVE ABOUT 6 ACRES UP THERE AND WAS WONDERING IF IT WAS LEGAL OR NOT TO DO SO. ANYBODY KNOW?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are in the country, have a safe backdrop, and don't have any close neighbors (ie, their house is RIGHT next to where you are shooting), you should be fine. Obviously, most cities/towns etc. have ordinances prohibiting the discharge of a firearm, but this doesn't apply to rural properties outside of city limits. Can you hunt on this property? Do you know the neighbors, if any?

Last month I was shooting with friends on a rural farm with the farmers written permission. My friend's 50 BMG is a tad bit loud. Within an hour, a state trooper showed up. One of the neighbors, probably one of the houses visible from where we were shooting, had called in a complaint. The trooper ended up shooting with us

Edited to add: I believe you have to be a certain distance from other residences (500 feet?) to fire a gun, unless you have permission from the owner... This is in the hunting regs, IIRC.

I live in a rural area where darn near all my neighbors shoot and hunt. It isn't uncommon to hear gunfire, especially before/during any hunting season.

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Edited to add: I believe you have to be a certain distance from other residences (500 feet?) to fire a gun, unless you have permission from the owner... This is in the hunting regs, IIRC.

Correct, unless zoned otherwise.  Basically, you should check at the town clerk's office and see if there are any prohibitive zoning laws.  Then stop at your local PD, tell them that the Clerk's office advised you that there are no laws against shooting on your property, but ask them if they are aware of any ordinance that prohibits shooting on your property.  Then ask WHAT ordinance it is.  Ask them to supply you with a copy as well.  Then as a last step, I'd talk with your surrounding neighbors and let them know that between the hours of __ and __, you may be shooting your firearms in the back of the house.  As a courtesy, I'd also show them any berms you've put up.  Some would argue against that, but they are your neighbors!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a single lane range on our back ten. As long as you have a big backstop (mines about 10 ft high) there isnt any problems unless you live in a city. I really wouldnt try it unless I owned 5+ acres and had a spot where the neighbors cant see you.

Just a note too: POST YOUR PROPERTY!!!!! If some dumbshit gets injured in anyway on your land YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE if its not posted.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have a single lane range on our back ten. As long as you have a big backstop (mines about 10 ft high) there isnt any problems unless you live in a city. I really wouldnt try it unless I owned 5+ acres and had a spot where the neighbors cant see you.

Just a note too: POST YOUR PROPERTY!!!!! If some dumbshit gets injured in anyway on your land YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE if its not posted.

That can simply mean a big roll of caution tape that you string up for the length of the range on either side of the firing lane.  Wood on the top of the berm would also help stop any strays that ricochet.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Really if you own any land you should post it. Its bad enough when someone gets hurt on your property, imagine what it would be like if someone got shot.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#6]
THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS. I LIVE IN VALLEY STREAM ON LONG ISLAND AND THE PROPERTY IS NORTH OF COOPERSTOWN. I DON'T GET UP THERE MUCH. HOPEFULLY I'LL HAVE A SMALL CABIN BUILT ON IT THIS SUMMER IF THINGS GO AS PLANNED AND WAS WONDERING WHAT THE LAWS WERE.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Mag162 - Welcome to the board and come join the guys for a shoot some weekend at Calverton. Who knows, you might even find a few guys who are into Road-Tripping and Cabin-Building...
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe we'll run into you at Green Acres one of these days. That is if you shop there...
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#9]
How about a Long Island road trip!   :)
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Bullet....are your carpenter skills polished up to the cabin construction level yet? At the rate you're going I expect to read that you're General Contractor developing subdivisions in Suffolk any week now.....
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#11]
hahaha.. yeah, I'm doing all sorts of shit now.. :)

Time to build that 10x12 shed in the backyard.. :)
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Any advice I can lend, just let me know. One piece of (unsolicited) advice: Check your zoning...if you choose to put down a foundation it make qualify as "permanent" and require a permit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the in-vite out to calverton. I'll try to make the next get together. As far as Green acres goes I only hit the home Depot there every so often. That mall is not what it used to be.    
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any advice I can lend, just let me know. One piece of (unsolicited) advice: Check your zoning...if you choose to put down a foundation it make qualify as "permanent" and require a permit.

excellent suggestion as this is the case up near the cooperstown area .. my friend has a 38 acre camp in sharon springs .. 11 miles away from cooperstown as the crow flies .. and the zoning laws state any dwelling with living quarters is taxable as such .. a house .. so my friend built a shed .. and insulated it .. i think under 12x12 is legal .. now hes got a small hunting lodge to stay warm in during the winter ..  laws suck .. for creeps sakes ..
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks for the in-vite out to calverton. That mall is not what it used to be.

Same goes for the movie theater. Until they started showing New Jack City.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top