Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2003 12:23:43 PM EDT
I cant seem to find this info anywhere else, so here goes.

In NY can a parent/guardian who has a pistol permit let their children shoot the pistols listed on it (the permit) while at a range etc. ?
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Not less you also have a permit. There might be something that permits a 'certified' instructor to teach you at the range, I'm not 100% sure though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
....legaly...no....but who is going to stop a dad from teaching a kid to shoot.....otherwise....it depends who is on the range at the time...you know...logic???
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]

copied from www.ocshooters.com website:

18 to 21 YEAR OLDS CAN SHOOT WITHOUT A LICENSE!!
I talked to a lawyer in the NY Senate and found out the following:
    Under the new state law that went into effect on Nov. 1st.,  if you are 18 to 21 years you do not need a handgun license to shoot at a range under direct supervision of an instructor as defined under NY state law.  NRA instructors, a parent, guardian and others are recognized under the definition in NY State law.   The only limitation is that the handgun must be licensed by the person who is doing the supervising. In general if you have a 18 to 21 year old child you can take them to the range with you to shoot whenever you want to and you can bring your neighbor's child as long as you have the written permission and you have a Hunter Ed certification.
PL  265.20 7-e. Possession and use of a pistol or revolver,  at  an  indoor  or outdoor  pistol  range  located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in small arms or at a target pistol shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by an association or organization described in paragraph 7-a  
(7-a.  Possession and use, at an indoor or outdoor pistol range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated  organization organized  for  conservation  purposes or to foster proficiency in small arms o at a target pistol shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by the national rifle association for the purpose  of  loading and  firing  the  same, by a person duly licensed to possess a pistol or revolver pursuant to section 400.00 or  400.01  of  this  chapter  of  a pistol  or revolver duly so licensed to another person who is present at the time.)of this subdivision for the purpose of  loading and  firing the same by a person at least eighteen years of age but under the age of twenty-one who has not been previously convicted  of  a felony  or  serious  offense,  and  who does not appear to be, or pose a threat to be, a danger to himself or to others; provided  however,  that such  possession shall  be of a pistol or revolver duly licensed to and shall be used under the immediate supervision, guidance and instruction of, a person specified in  paragraph seven of this subdivision.  

7.  Possession, at an indoor or outdoor shooting range for the purpose of loading and firing, of a rifle or shotgun, the  propelling  force  of which  is gunpowder by a person under sixteen years of age but not under twelve, under the immediate supervision, guidance and instruction of (a) a duly commissioned officer of the United States army, navy, air  force, marine  corps  or  coast guard, or of the national guard of the state of New York; or (b) a duly qualified adult citizen of the United States who has been granted a certificate as an instructor in small  arms practice issued by the United States army, navy, air force or marine corps, or by the adjutant general of this state, or by the national rifle association of  America,  a not-for-profit corporation duly organized under the laws of this state; or (c) a parent, guardian, or a person over  the  age  of eighteen designated in writing by such parent or guardian who shall have a certificate of qualification in responsible hunting, including safety, ethics,  and  landowner relations-hunter relations, issued or honored by the department of environmental conservation; or (d) an  agent  of  the department of environmental conservation appointed to conduct courses in responsible hunting practices pursuant to article eleven of the environmental conservation law.)

ref: www.ocshooters.com/newsletters/00/00-11.htm#18 to 21 YEAR OLDS CAN SHOOT WITHOUT A
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#4]
a 21 year old child?  thats kind of insulting.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]
If he has a Huntersafety Card and you have a hunter safety card. He may shoot the pistol. Has long as it is under your permit and it is no larger than a 22 cal.You must also have a legal Pistol permit for said weapon also
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If he has a Huntersafety Card and you have a hunter safety card. He may shoot the pistol. Has long as it is under your permit and it is no larger than a 22 cal.You must also have a legal Pistol permit for said weapon also

Do you have a cite to this?  The only provision under the NYS Penal Law is for 18-21 year olds. Is this something new?  TIA
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]
No one, not even you child can use your pistol! Even if you wanted to teach him/her to shoot. I went to a indoor range last month w/ my brother in law to shoot some of my pistols, he cold not shoot because he did not have his pistol lic.? I in turn asked the range off., what if I wanted to teach or introduce someone to the shooting sports? He said that they would have to have a pistol permit before they could shoot. He said that is a law and a range policy, also said it is stupid but he has to enforce it. Kind of stupid to me, what if someone went thru all the trouble of getinng a permit and did not even like the sport!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]
celticfozzie: That's not the law anymore. The law was amended when they changed the legal age to obtain a pistol permit to 21. An 18-21 year old may shoot your pistol under your supervision.  The range may not allow it but it is legal to do so under NYS law.

The law also allows another NYS licensee to fire your licensed pistols in your presence at the range.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#9]
This is precisely why I go shooting in PA.  I do not have to go through this BS.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I wanna move back to WI this is too confusing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:12:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Just Think:

PFC Jessica Lynch (you DO remember her?) is only 20 years old.  And because of that, she cannot legally buy a handgun, buy ammo for the gun, or shoot it anywhere in New York State without somebody "Supervising" her.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:07:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just Think:

PFC Jessica Lynch (you DO remember her?) is only 20 years old.  And because of that, she cannot legally buy a handgun, buy ammo for the gun, or shoot it anywhere in New York State without somebody "Supervising" her.

...and legally, I can't take one of my 22+ year old Marines assigned to me out to a civilian range to shoot a privately owned pistol, licensed to me. If that Marine wants to train with a pistol beyond that offered in unit training, he'll have to apply for a permit (after being a county resident for a year, then waiting 4-6 months for the approval process. Too bad most of us transfer out at 24 months)
I see your , and raise you a

Semper Fi
Dave
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Um yes you can. If your 18 and a member of the military you can get a handgun permit. In madison county anyway...
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Um yes you can. If your 18 and a member of the military you can get a handgun permit. In madison county anyway...

You now have to be 21 for a permit in NY state. It was changed a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I read on the New York legislature website. Do they ever update.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I read on the New York legislature website. Do they ever update.

SURE!.......just as soon as the budget is passed....
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:15:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You now have to be 21 for a permit in NY state. It was changed a few years ago.

You can get a permit in NY if you are under 21 and have been honorably discharged from military service.

S 400.00 Licenses to carry, possess, repair and dispose of firearms.

1. Eligibility. No license shall be issued or renewed pursuant to this section  except  by  the licensing officer, and then only after investigation and finding that all statements in a  proper  application  for  a license are  true.  No license shall be issued or renewed except for an applicant (a) twenty-one years of age or older, provided, however,  that where  such  applicant  has  been  honorably  discharged from the United States army, navy, marine corps,  air  force  or  coast  guard,  or  the national  guard  of the state of New York, no such age restriction shall apply;

assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=82&a=72
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Neat, sounds good to me. Had no idea they had a exception for x-military.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top