Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/7/2003 6:35:55 AM EDT
See below for BBQ info!

Schedule for the day:

10:00 - 1:00ish Shoot
1:00ish - 3:00ish Eat

Pretty simple, huh?

OK, the first round netted 7 people in cold & wet weather.  Let's see if we can't pull a few more people out with some nicer weather!  (and I won't forget the damn digital camera this time!)

Our next NJ Shoot is scheduled for Saturday 5/17.  As we get closer to the date, I will put up a poll to guage attendance levels so I can rent sufficient firing line space.

If anyone who attended the first one would like to make a promotional statement, please feel free to do so!  Also, it might be nice to hear other people's impressions of the range.  Likewise, if anyone considering coming out has any questions, please post them here and we will answer them.

I can't stress this enough:  All are welcome to attend.  I can tell you that this is a good bunch of guys and I very much look forward to our next get together.  (Except maybe for that guy from Virginia...)  Its a light, laid back, casual, let's just have some fun atmosphere.

BBQ Sign Up Sheet (please post if you want to bring it and I will edit the list)

Hot Dogs - FMJunkie
Hamburgers - FMJunkie
Rolls - FMJunkie
Plates - Sterling18
Cups - Sterling18
Utensils - Sterling18
Napkins
Drinks (soda, etc.) - hard-case
Beans - Bobby_The_Hun
Chips (of various types) - hard-case
Potato/Macaroni Salad
Ketchup/Mustard/Relish/BBQ Sauce - FMJunkie
Onion/Tomato/Lettuce
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Here are the directions again, just so they're up here.

I know they are long but, I was very descriptive with them. The whole trip is really very simple.

•Take NJ Turnpike to Exit 7

•After paying toll, take Rt. 206 South

•After a short distance, make a LEFT onto Rt. 68. This is a very well marked intersection with signs for Fort Dix. Also, you can only turn left or go straight at this light, there is no right turn. Rt. 68 is larger highway divided in the middle by a grass median.

•After several miles, you will turn LEFT onto Rt. 537/Monmouth Rd. If you go too far, you will run into the entrance to Ft Dix and the MPs will tell you so. Just turn around and go back a couple of roads.

•After a couple of miles, you will come to an intersection with a WAWA on the far left corner, a diner on the far right corner, a motel on the near left and a gas station on the near right. The WAWA is a good landmark and the last/best place to stop for supplies before getting to the range… Continue straight through the light and on 537.

•A couple of miles past the WAWA you will go through a traffic light. Soon after that you will pass a farm market on your left (with the farm on both sides of the road) and then come to a flashing yellow light. Turn RIGHT at the flashing light onto Jacobstown Cookstown Rd. Note – one of the signs on the corner only says Jacobstown Rd but, that’s the one you want. Just look for the flashing yellow light; that is the best landmark.

•Follow this road to the end, it is a couple of miles. When you get to the end/stop sign, turn RIGHT onto the little main street of Cookstown. I do not believe there are any street signs here.

•Once you go through town you will pass a farm field and then cross over onto the military reservation. (Ft Dix) There is one little white sign that you might miss but, as soon as the field ends and the woods begin, you are on base. Continue straight, this is now Range Rd. You will pass some Bivouac sites on the right and a range or two on the left and the ‘urban’ range on the right. Look for ‘Messina Range’ on your left and the urban/MOUT looking range on your right (they are directly across from each other). These are good landmarks and Range 14 is the next left up the road. You will see a small brown sign on the left that says ‘Ft Dix Rod & Gun Club – Range 14’. Turn LEFT here.

•Go down the short road and cross the tank trail and go through the gate. (you will see the red ‘range hot’ flag flying) Go straight down the long ‘driveway’. You will pass the skeet/trap range on your left, the small archery courses on your right and will eventually come to the rifle range. (You have to turn left)

•We have tables 13 and 14 which are the last two on the right. (These would be the first two you will see when you pull in) Look for a black F-150 parked on the line. You can pull up to the line to unload and the park in the gravel lot right behind our positions so others can pull up and unload.
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
this event is open to anyone?
I would be interested and what would we need to bring to the event
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
this event is open to anyone?
I would be interested and what would we need to bring to the event

I definitely encourage anyone and everyone to attend.

What to bring?

1 - You
2 - A gun if you own one.  If not, just come.  This last shoot had a dozen firearms laying on the tables for anyone and everyone to shoot.  At a minimum, I will bring at least 7 or 8 to share.  I definitely encourage new shooters who don't yet own anything to come and shoot!
3 - Bullets, if you're bringing a gun.
4 - A couple of bucks for food afterwards, if you wish to join the 'after party' for a bite to eat.

That's about it!  If attendance gets really high, I may have to ask everyone for a couple bucks ($5 or $10 at the most) to cover the range rental.  But, I'll know that as we get closer to the shoot and see what attendance is.
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Kudos to FMJ, count me in again !.Nice range and nice people,worth the ride up.

Oh yeah, that guy from Virginia, he actually had TEETH . Invite him again, he's OK.
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Oh yeah, that guy from Virginia, he actually had TEETH .

Link Posted: 4/7/2003 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Rob, if it is o.k. with the Range officer, I like to make an AR15.COM Banner for the entrance of the range for the 5/17 Shoot, I think it will help those that never been there find the correct road. What do you think ? BTH
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#7]
What are the distances?  My family is originally from Neptune City and Avon how far is the range from there?  I used to get off at 7A...

Please advise.

Ed
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool, another shoot in NJ!

I’d like to thank FMJunkie for organizing the first occupied territory shoot.  

If your a newbie or are thinking about getting a black rifle, I recommend you go.  Everyone there was helpful and I learned a lot.  Even if you don’t have a rifle, believe me, there will be an extra one or two. (or ten)

Link Posted: 4/7/2003 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll try to make it. Have to see how my schedule looks as we get closer.
I'll talk it around a little and see if I can drum up anyone else too. Sounds like fun.
(rifles only I take it? Sorry, had to ask)
Take care,
ARse15
Link Posted: 4/8/2003 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Rob, if it is o.k. with the Range officer, I like to make an AR15.COM Banner for the entrance of the range for the 5/17 Shoot, I think it will help those that never been there find the correct road. What do you think ? BTH

I will ask 'my guy' when I go down there this weekend but, I'm sure it will be ok.  (and cool!)
Link Posted: 4/8/2003 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What are the distances?  My family is originally from Neptune City and Avon how far is the range from there?  I used to get off at 7A...

Please advise.

Ed

The rifle range (where we are) has measured lines at 25, 50, 100 and 200 yds.  The backstop is about another 20 yds or so beyond the 200 yd line.  You can place targets at any distance you want out to the berm...

The range is actually on Ft Dix.  I'd say its about 20 minutes from exit 7 (not 7A) off the turnpike.  Do a 'directions' search on Expedia or MapQuest for your starting location to WRIGHTSTOWN, NJ.  That should give you a good estimate of distance/time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2003 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'll try to make it. Have to see how my schedule looks as we get closer.
I'll talk it around a little and see if I can drum up anyone else too. Sounds like fun.
(rifles only I take it? Sorry, had to ask)
Take care,
ARse15

Anything that throws lead downrange!  Rifles, pistols, shotguns, whatever...  (we had them all last time)
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like fun. Im only a few miles away in jackson. If it stops snowing and raining by then I would like to go. I have never been to that range. I always shoot a CJR&P. I have plenty of hardware to bring.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it possible to start the shoot any earlier in the morning?
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I actually got there at ~0915 to try and set up a little before everybody else got there.  Basically, I rented the range for the whole day so, start and end times were really flexible.

For this next one, I will probably set the 'main gathering' time at 1000 - 1300 (10 - 1) since it will be warmer.  Of course, I am open to suggestions on this and we don't have to set this in stone until we get closer
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#16]
If the schedule works out, I will be there with bells on.  If the IRS gets off their dead a$$ and gets my refund out and then Model 1 Sales can ship fairly quickly and it all goes together, my rifle will be there with me. I've been to range 14 but it has been a while.  Is there any plact to get coffee, soda's, snacks, etc or is a  stop at the 7-11 right doun the road in Browns Mills in order?

On the ammo subj., for those in NJ, Ammoman.com has good prices is located in Berlin, NJ and while they do not ship in state, they do offer a discount if ya pick up.  Also, it is fun to go into a warehouse and see MILLIONS of rounds of ammo.

Kurt
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#17]
If you're coming through Browns Mills then 7-11 is the place to stop.  For those following my directions, make your stop at the WAWA!!  
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Since it will (theoretically) be nice weather in mid-May and since there is a pretty nice area at the range to have such a thing, I thought it would be cool to have an informal BBQ after we shoot!  (instead of going someplace to eat)

I can bring the grill and most of the food.  As we get closer to the date, I will post a 'sign-up sheet' for a few things that others could bring for the BBQ.  (easy things like soda or chips)

I also confirmed the date at the range today.  They are really glad to have us and they hope we will continue to have gatherings there.

As before, I am not going to ask anyone who attends for any money.  It is my pleasure to host these events and I get my own little reward from seeing people come together and enjoy the sport!  (Of course, if 100 people start showing up, well, sorry...  I just can't afford THAT range fee!)
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Targets?

I have several hundred bowling pins behind my garage, any problem bringing these to shoot at.  They hold up really well to .223 and even .308.

Spray paint them black and they become great targets out 300 yards.
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Well unfortunately I won't be able to make this one. I am graduating and my daughter has a dance recital that weekend. I guess I will just have to wait until the next one.

I had a good time shooting and meeting some of the NJ members last time. Since I made it out to the last one even with the bad weather, I don't think you local guys will have any excuse not to attend. Well I guess work will be good enough excuse.
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Bowling pins would be cool...

As much as I would like to have you up for this event Anthony, I figured it was kind of close to the last time...  Don't worry though, I am thinking that the next shoot and BBQ will be at the end of June.
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Since it will (theoretically) be nice weather in mid-May and since there is a pretty nice area at the range to have such a thing, I thought it would be cool to have an informal BBQ after we shoot! (instead of going someplace to eat)

Now that you've said it we'll be having a snowstorm that weekend!!!

Man, that would make for one amazing day if we can get it to work. You think the range would have a problem with this? They do seem to be a reall good bunch, though I'm kinda surprised they'd be so positive about the group thing. Have you run this by them by chance? Either way, you can put my name down for this shoot. Though if Uncle Sam keeps dragging on longer with my tax return, I won't be able to bring any new toys.

Have to say I'm really glad that this might become a full time deal. I had loads of fun at the last shoot, and it's nice to be able to just sling lead and chew the fat with a really great crew.

I'm working to see if I might get a few guys from where I work to show up...one of which might be a new shooter.

I have several hundred bowling pins behind my garage, any problem bringing these to shoot at. They hold up really well to .223 and even .308.

Spray paint them black and they become great targets out 300 yards.

I doubt they'd have a problem with it, so long as we police the area before we leave. More than one I've seen people shooting at soda cans and compact discs there..and have passed by the remains of such during cease fires.
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#23]
i think i am definitley in on this
hopefully my FID will be with me by then...
I just bought the anniversary bushmaster and I wanna shoot the hell out of that thing.
I hope to have it and then maybe someone can help me sight the thing in at the shoot
and then let some of you help me break the barrel in.
Im sure you would love to do that.
keep reminding me so I can make the plan to be there and hopefully have a nice brick of ammo
BTW how are the roads going there and inot the range
is it dirt
I ask because the car I drive is the one I road race also so its a bit low
Link Posted: 4/15/2003 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#24]
It'll be two days after I graduate law school, so I'll be fresh out of "school excuses!"  Expect me for sure this time, I really want to meet you guys.
Link Posted: 4/15/2003 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It'll be two days after I graduate law school, so I'll be fresh out of "school excuses!"  Expect me for sure this time, I really want to meet you guys.

TWO DAYS? Sheeet.......you won't even be de-toxify-ed by then Balzac!
Link Posted: 4/15/2003 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TWO DAYS? Sheeet.......you won't even be de-toxify-ed by then Balzac!

True, but I'll be moving out of the militarized occupied territory very shortly after I graduate, so I'll have to sober up quickly.  God I hate packing boxes.

Well, on second thought, maybe I'll have Hoplite/Wave/Bear or someone else wheel me to the NJ shoot.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Are there any state laws that would limit what kind of weapons/accessories we could bring?
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Are there any state laws that would limit what kind of weapons/accessories we could bring?

Yes.

I would suggest two things to do here:

1) Read through the thread for the last shoot, there were several posts in there talking about this.  (its in this forum, title:"Occupied Territory Shoot")

2)  Post here with what, specifically, you would want to bring and I can give you direct answers.  (I suggest this as the quickest way to get the right answer to your question)

You can also go to:www.njsp.org/about/firearms.html.  This is the NJ State Police firearms info website.
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Nothing exotic like NFA stuff for me.  I have a preban Colt, 20" A2 or M4 (depending on my mood).  Would either configuration be acceptable?

Mags?  I'm assuming 10 rounders are OK, what about 20's and 30's?
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#31]
No prebans...  (and nothing marked Colt AR15 - Colt Match Target is legal, AR15 is not)  Maximum magazine capacity is 15 rounds.

If you still want to come, there will be plenty of rifles there to shoot.  We had at least 10 different ARs as well as pistols/shotguns there the last time with only 7 people.  I suspect there will be many more this time around...
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#32]
HHhhhrrrrmmmmpppppphhhhh.... ugghhh... bbbbrrrghhh.... hmmm...
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I am going to try to meet you,if I don't have a conflict in my schedule!

Is Hotdog40 going to man the BBQ?

Only if he wears the apron and matching hat
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
No prebans...  (and nothing marked Colt AR15 - Colt Match Target is legal, AR15 is not)  Maximum magazine capacity is 15 rounds.

If you still want to come, there will be plenty of rifles there to shoot.  We had at least 10 different ARs as well as pistols/shotguns there the last time with only 7 people.  I suspect there will be many more this time around...

The Colt's not marked AR15 ...marked Sporter Match HBar.  Would that be OK? ...or is it just that fact that it has the evil features?
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Its both.  Prebans, feature wise, are banned in the state.  The Colt AR15 is on a list of specifically named/banned weapons.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#36]
best bet is to call njsp for that
I think they revised it becasue I remember that the Hbar is now legal
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I am going to try to meet you,if I don't have a conflict in my schedule!

Is Hotdog40 going to man the BBQ?

Only if he wears the apron and matching hat

Sorry Guys,
I won't be attending as I have an annual barbecue with a bunch of Pub cronies that day. First time since my partner died last year, so I'll be busy that day with all the "support services"
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#38]
looks like fun! wish i could go!  maybe next time
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#39]
So do we have some kind of head count on who is going?
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#40]
FMJunkie - Count me in.  It would be cool to put faces to the names here.  As for the BBQ, what do you need, I'll bring some.
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
So do we have some kind of head count on who is going?

I will put the 'attendance poll' up soon along with a BBQ sign up list so people can bring stuff...
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#42]
I've added an attendance poll, please vote so we can see how many people are coming.

I've also added a 'sign up' list to my first post in the thread for the BBQ supplies.  Please post if you want to bring something and I will edit the list.  (refer to the poll to see how much to bring)

Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm there, and I'll bring chips and soda..
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#44]
lame poll! You need "probably no" and "definitely no" options for all the people who are compulsively compelled to complete every poll they come across.
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Hello Rob, I'll bring the "BUSH" beans, they're the best.BTH
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Count me in for Plates, Cups, Utensils
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#47]
I can bring charcoal so we can cook/grill and utensils, but I no longer have a grill, can some one supply one? I'll cook the 'dogs and burgers' .

BR
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I will set it up to be able to go on the 17th. By then my truck should be fixed. If not I still have 6&1/2 cyls to get there with. Been driving me crazy. Everytime I bring it in It works fine. I am about to put a bullet through the Engine if this shit keeps up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I for got to ask. I guess my C-Mag has to stay at home along with my 30 rounder's. Also if I can;t get my truck fixed is any one from Long Island going?
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I will see if me and my old man can make it. I don't feel like driving 2.5 hours, so I'll make him drive :)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top