Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2002 11:10:38 AM EDT
Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Orange, Dutchess....Hell, even Bronx and Manhattan...come on out you guys!

Lawnguyland is getting credit for being the Total NY Crew. While they're a great bunch of guys, the Islanders need to come to the Northern burbs and see what hills look like.

I'm in White Plains. How about youse guyz?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Orange County.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#2]
No one else in Orange County????
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Manhattan. Deep in gun-lover's hell.
It's temporary, I *think*.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in Orange, work in White Plains...

(well, technically, i keep an apartment in joisey from when i worked in NYC...still stay there. gotta move the hell out and back to ny...)
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Orange County here also !
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 7:25:02 AM EDT
[#6]
i've been to all those places...................... twice  
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#7]
How many people 'round here are members of Black Rock?

idle question...this way, instead of everyone driving out to Lawn Gisland, we can just meet either at the clubhouse or the range :)
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:12:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How many people 'round here are members of Black Rock?

idle question...this way, instead of everyone driving out to Lawn Gisland, we can just meet either at the clubhouse or the range :)

Ed, what is Black Rock? Private club? I'm interested in something north of Westchester and that is non-government run (the Sportman's Center in Peekskill is way to shotgun oriented for me).
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ed, what is Black Rock? Private club? I'm interested in something north of Westchester and that is non-government run (the Sportman's Center in Peekskill is way to shotgun oriented for me).

Then I won't suggest Thunder Mountain in Ramapo!
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Putnam here.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:24:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Helldog40, First your making fun of my idyllic island, then the shotgun, my firearm of choice! Do I have to remind you that I am the shotgun monitor!

I thought you guys up there used your bolt action shotgun's to kill the critters around the trailer park all the time! MIKE.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#12]
By the way it's not a sandbar! Long Island is made from ruble left behind by the last glacier. In other words we are glacier garbage! MIKE.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Westchester County subject here. Formerly from Manhattan, slowly moving into free territory but for now I'm stuck in New Rochelle:( No offense guys but I can't wait to get the fu*k out of here.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I must be the lucky one. I'm in Elmont, smack-dab on the Queens-Nassau border. I don't own a firearm yet due to lack of independence and a job. I just started shooting with my brother up in Catskill this past summer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry for the delay...

Yep, it's a private club. Membership is limited...(getting in is a real PITA, but once you're in, as long as you pay dues, you're in for life). 200 yard range, seperate handgun and shotgun ranges, indoor archery range. Expensive, tho. Had to jack up rates cause all the NYC/Westchester rich people would beg, borrow, or steal their way into memberships...

I'm very suprised that no members here are members of it It's one of the few, if only, fish & game clubs with a range around...

Membership runs the gamut from West Point instructors (who usually bring out fun toys) to some competition shooter guys (ever seen a guy put 5 rounds into an inch/inch and a half, offhand, at 200 yards...with irons? scary, man)...to your normal hunters. Generally, it's black-rifle friendly, as long as you're not creating a huge mess or fuss, and as long as your brass isn't pelting people. Last time I was up there with my AUG, a guy had his little girl out with a .22, teaching her how to shoot. I offered him the aug for her to try...he was wise enough to decline, even tho he looked a little envious :)
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:41:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Helldog40, First your making fun of my idyllic island, then the shotgun, my firearm of choice! Do I have to remind you that I am the shotgun monitor!

I thought you guys up there used your bolt action shotgun's to kill the critters around the trailer park all the time! MIKE.

My dear Mike103,
I wasn't making fun of your weapon of choice, I was merely making the point that I personally do not shoot trap/skeet/clays.  Therefore, a range that foucusses on these facilities, while having only a 100yd rifle range is of little interest to me.
(notice how I leave out ANY mention of what snobs the dr., atty., dds., etc. yuppie shotgun crowd can be)

Also, while I choose not to debate the malapropism "idyllic" as regards LawnGuyLand, I do think it's a beautiful place if you can get past the tourist traffic and into nature. I was merely pointing out that it would be NICE to have some OTHER metro area choices.

So please, dear Mike103, gentle friend and brother in arms...will you unlock these handcuffs now? I promise to behave! [>(]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:05:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
No one else in Orange County????

New Windsor...right next to Stewart Int'l.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:41:52 AM EDT
[#18]
New Windsor? You're practically next door.

(Cornwall, here)
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Evil-Ed,

dwp.bigplanet.com/blackrockWhat does the waiting list for Black Rock look like?

Are you looking to adopt? I know this well behaved little 38 year old, who comes with a plethora of his own toys, with brand names like Armalite, Winchester, Remington, Springfield Armory, etc.

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Helldog, Speaking of the uptight shotgun crowd, next month I go for my "interview" for Peconic River Sportsmans Club. After waiting three years I was told I am getting in. I am having my English tweed hunting jacket altered and my ascot pressed as we speak.

As for ranges upstate I just thought that you woodchucks just opened up the back door and let it rip. MIKE.

PS: Why not join us tomorrow 12-29-02 0900 hours at Brookhaven for some skeet shooting. MIKE.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Helldog, Speaking of the uptight shotgun crowd, next month I go for my "interview" for Peconic River Sportsmans Club. After waiting three years I was told I am getting in. I am having my English tweed hunting jacket altered and my ascot pressed as we speak.

As for ranges upstate I just thought that you woodchucks just opened up the back door and let it rip. MIKE.

PS: Why not join us tomorrow 12-29-02 0900 hours at Brookhaven for some skeet shooting. MIKE.

3 year wait?  what exactly is the reasoning behind that?  DO you have to wait for someone to resign their membership before a spot opens up?
I was there once back in 1997 for a DEC sponsored hunting license/shooting weekend thing and it was a great place
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#22]
So how exactly does one get to join black rock?  By invitation?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Sponsorship by an active member?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 2:14:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Armed insurrection?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#25]
All three :)

Out-of-county slots aren't very many...which reminds me, I need to write them a check on Monday, pay the dues.

I had an old news letter around here somewhere, lemme see if I can dig it up...it has more information in there.

Edit: Crap, I think I threw it out.

Anyway, there was something like 30? slots open for new out-of-county members (out of county = anything not in orange, including other states)..if I remember right, those were swallowed up in like, a day. Since I haven't really been a member for very long, I'm not sure I can sponsor anyone in...it's a pretty cool club. I just wish I had more time to volunteer for it (i.e. redo the trails leading up to the range, build new target stands, etc.)
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought Blackrock was in Putnam, not Orange?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:23:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Nope, Orange...it's clubhouse is within hiking distance, and the range is a straight 2 mile hike over the mountain in my backyard. (Or, a drive down the road )

I'd invite y'all over one afternoon/day, but club rules...only one guest per member (excluding family) [:\]

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Hop, Membership in Peconic is very limited. You have to wait for somone to die and have a sponser. MIKE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top