Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2022 10:44:59 PM EDT
Aloha, THTF! New transplant from WA (i left the shitty politics there, i swear!)

Renting a place in the north SA area and adjusting fairly well thusfar.

Looking for good shooting spots, places to run NODs (including places to drive with NODs) in the north SA area.

So far the one single thing i miss about WA state is the state and fed Forrest land where i could go any time i wanted and camp/shoot/fuck off for weeks at a time if i wanted to.

Anybody willing to clue me in on how this works down here?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to Texas.  There really is minimal land in the state that is "public"  Just about all is owned by somebody including the state.  You wil find restrictions on shooting in "public" lands.  Hunting is the same.  Pretty much own land or do a hunting lease.  Cities and towns can regulate within city limits as can counties.  Generally no matter where 50 acres you can do anything.  I live a couple miles south of a small town, very rural, cornfield in front, hay field on two sides, on an acre.  BUT, I am in city limits.  Have been know to occasionally test a firearm with a shot or two in the ground.  They dove hunt across the street from me! Often hear people nearby target practicing.

We do have lots of shooting ranges, including around SA.  I lived there many years ago.

Best advice, find and make friends with like minded folks that have land.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Aloha, THTF! New transplant from WA (i left the shitty politics there, i swear!)

Looking for good shooting spots, places to run NODs (including places to drive with NODs) in the north SA area.

So far the one single thing i miss about WA state is the state and fed Forrest land where i could go any time i wanted and camp/shoot/fuck off for weeks at a time if i wanted to.

View Quote

You wont find the state-land common in other places in the nation, here.  Some forums specifically tailored to your information request is the best option and you might find a nitch forum on here, too related to it.

I don't know of anywhere you can camp and shoot at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just moved to San Antonio too!

From Houston...

Anyway, as stated above. Almost all land in Texas is private. There are state parks and federal land but not nearly like it is in other parts of the country.

You either have to know someone to fuck off on land, or you can lease a place. There are hunting leases that give you year round access.

Its about a 1:30-2H drive east, but The Ranch TX in Eagle Lake is usable 24/7. It requires a membership, but its the best range in the state as far as what you can and cannot do.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The Secure America now range in Seguin is what you seek
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Secure America now range in Seguin is what you seek
View Quote

Now we're getting somewhere.

Who all here organizes NOD shoots in the SA area?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

No one really until we "fall back" in the fall, it doesn't get dark until 930 here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Either gotta know someone with land or take a course. There are a few ranges outside of SA that constantly have some NV course. The Ranch in Dilley, 7 Foxtrot in Pearsall, Bridle Iron South in Refugio.

if everything works out I'll have my own in the near future.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Either gotta know someone with land or take a course. There are a few ranges outside of SA that constantly have some NV course. The Ranch in Dilley, 7 Foxtrot in Pearsall, Bridle Iron South in Refugio.

if everything works out I'll have my own in the near future.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I'll look those places up.

I'm soooo fucking loving it here. Hopefully no more shitty commie politics from big city douchebags, and i had an awesome first date today with a very nice lady today.

And the heat/humidity here at the worst time of the day still isn't as bad as Kuwait at 0500 before the sun even rises, so i'm fuckin' good. ??
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have to interject and recommend the ranch again over the Secure America. Secure America closes at 9. The ranch tx does not close.

So if you’re a serious NVG shooter, it’s the better place and worth the extra drive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top