Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2022 10:56:15 PM EDT
I was fortunate enough to make two of the Hun Farm events and the thing that struck me the most was looking at the stars at night when you got away from the fire. That may have been one of the most awesome things I have ever seen in my life.

We have been to the Star Watching Party at the McDonald Observatory, something I highly recommend. We are looking for something with great star watching with nice accommodations. Is there anything in or around the Canyon area? The last time we were out that way we were herding some very uninterested kids. That's not a problem now.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#1]
You can stay in a bubble in Terlingua

https://basecampterlingua.com/staying-in-a-bubble/
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 3:59:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Haven't been there personally, but Palo Duro Canyon State Park looks like a good prospect.

Most Texas state parks don't have night time lighting anywhere other than around the public restrooms/showers - They like their campsites dark!
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Terlingua was already mentioned and I agree. Also Alpine, Fort Davis Presidio (lived in Presidio for 6 years and rhe night sky was always awesome). Also have Big Bend Ranch State Park and of course Big Bend National  Park.

That whole part of Texas is very low light and no light outside of town.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Terlingua was already mentioned and I agree. Also Alpine, Fort Davis Presidio (lived in Presidio for 6 years and rhe night sky was always awesome). Also have Big Bend Ranch State Park and of course Big Bend National  Park.

That whole part of Texas is very low light and no light outside of town.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#5]
https://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html#4/39.00/-98.00

Get in to a gray color on this map, and you can look up and see that splash of milk across the sky.

I live in a yellow area, and I can see the Milky Way, but it's not that vivid make-you-take-a-breath type bright.  You have to look to notice it.  I love going someplace dark where the stars really jump out at you.  Makes it look like it has more depth.  Makes you realize what a small speck of dust we really are.

My aunt grew up in Los Angeles and she had never seen a star in the sky until she started dating my uncle.  Light pollution is no bueno.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#6]
October 14, 2023, is the total annular solar eclipse
April 8, 2024, is the total solar eclipse passing right over us
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Brazos Bend State Park near Houston has a small observatory that has presentations on some weekends (check website for schedule).  I’ve gone a couple of times.  Once your eyes adjust to the darkness it’s amazing how much you don’t see when you’re in the city.  It was like being back on my grandpa’s farm when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
With a couple of prickly pear margaritas at the Gage Hotel in Marathon.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Every thing mentioned above is good.  Copper Breaks SP is registered IDA.  I've stayed there and can attest to how good the gazing was.  

Caprock Canyons SP was also good, just not as good as Copper Breaks.  But that could have been a dust issue at the time of the year we were there.

We bring our own accommodation, so can't really help with that part.  There's a single "lodge" at Caprock, but details were slim.  Sleeps 9 in 2 bedrooms.  Couldn't find a price.  Looked nice.  Copper Breaks is strictly bring your own.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Go spend a weekend in Fort Davis state park.  Coincide that weekend with one of the Star Parties the McDonald Observatory visitor’s center holds every so often.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Go spend a weekend in Fort Davis state park.  Coincide that weekend with one of the Star Parties the McDonald Observatory visitor’s center holds every so often.
View Quote

We did that about five years ago and had a blast.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Alternatively you could go out to the remotest corner of Big Bend.  I think that’s about as remote as you can get without driving to Wyoming or Utah,
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I got some decent views of Jupiter and Saturn this morning from the middle of DFW. The moon is always interesting. Not many stars to be seen from the light polluted city. It is about a 1.5 hour drive for me to a state park for a significant improvement in observing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Copper Breaks State Park is a great place if you are in North Central Texas.

Terlingua is rapidly growing. Light pollution is becoming a problem there.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I see it pretty good on my property in Terlingua.

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#16]
me too. never much light pollution on the North Corrazones
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I just bought a NexStar Evolution 6 and it’s pretty much been cloudy here since I got it. I am eager to try it out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just bought a NexStar Evolution 6 and it’s pretty much been cloudy here since I got it. I am eager to try it out.
View Quote

That's a moose of a scope.  Jealous.

I bought a Meade ETX-90 a ton of years ago to use as the spotting scope for 1000yd shooting.  It does nicely for sky viewing, but it's so light that it vibrates easily from wind or even people moving around.  I need a 100lb tripod.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Try this tripod from Amazon.

Induro Tripods CLT203 No. 2 Stealth Carbon Fiber Tripod, 3 Sections https://a.co/d/hlJPEPX

I also bought a couple of Televue eyepieces and their Barlow 2x to go with the telescope.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a Nexstar 6SE. It was cloudy and raining for a week after I bought it, then I had surgery on my foot. On crutches for a month. Bad limp for another month.
These things happen when a telescope is purchased per Cloudy Nights.
Not many clouds this summer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Not many clouds until you want to look up through your telescope.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#22]
A few years back I was up in Canadian up on the panhandle and I was shocked by the amount of stars in the night sky there. Living near DFW I had forgotten that stars exist
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Alpine is a good place if youre in the area. I keep the beers cold at my house.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Ft McKavett is a low light area that makes for good star watching and astrophotography.  It's not as far west as the Big Bend area if you're coming from Dallas or Houston.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ft McKavett is a low light area that makes for good star watching and astrophotography.  It's not as far west as the Big Bend area if you're coming from Dallas or Houston.
View Quote

My rig is not optimal for long exposure astrophotography, or so I read anyway.
I got a Telrad finder scope with a mirrored dew shield yesterday. I can't wait to use it. The right angle viewing capability will be a back saver,,, I hope.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#26]
i've actually got two domes at summit big bend rented for 9/2-9/4 and i can't go

too late for a refund so i'd make you a good deal on them
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
i've actually got two domes at summit big bend rented for 9/2-9/4 and i can't go

too late for a refund so i'd make you a good deal on them
View Quote

Bummer. Hope you get them sold, and can go another time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top