Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2022 1:50:15 AM EDT
BRAKING NEWS!!!!

City of Houston will No Longer buy Ghost Guns in Buy Backs ...

https://abc13.com/no-questions-asked-gun-buyback-event-success-one-safe-houston-turn-guns-over-for-money-third-ward/12091782/

Ghost guns eliminated from future 'No questions asked' gun buyback events in Houston

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- A gun buyback event was successful enough that Houston and Harris County are planning another one.

The city and county collected 845 guns on Saturday and gave out $100,000 worth of cash gift cards ranging from $50 to $200 apiece. They collected rifles and handguns, old and newer, some of which Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said were merely an effort to take advantage of the offer. Roughly 50 of those guns were so-called ghost guns, and they won't be part of the program in the future.

"We did get some ghost guns where people may have 3D printed or made these guns specifically for the gun buyback program," Turner told ABC13. "We will eliminate that portion."

Organizers will also add more staffing to the next effort, which the Mayor believes is important if a not small component of his multi-pronged anti-crime initiative One Safe Houston. But the program is not without its critics. Harris County's District Attorney Kim Ogg sent a letter the day before the buyback-telling law enforcement the "no questions asked" part of the program could harm potential criminal cases if a gun was involved in a crime or was stolen.

"The intentions were good, but the program needs to be refined," First Assistant District Attorney David Mitcham said. "The no questions asked aspect of the program undermines the prosecution of crime."

They point to a case in 2021 that ABC13 covered in which forensics from an accidental shooting led to a break-in and an unrelated murder, the same gun in two different shootings.

Additionally, several studies over the past decade that call into question how effective buybacks are in reducing crime. But Harris County Commissioner Rodney Ellis said the buyback is only one plank in a broad approach.

"Gun buybacks that are successful are ones that are part of a larger package," Harris County Pct. 1 Commissioner Rodney Ellis said. "If we got one gun, just one, that could have killed somebody. If that person was me, you, or one of your listeners, it was well worth it."

They are planning another buyback in the coming weeks, likely in another part of the city.

So 'Stro  City NO Mo' Ghost Guns No Mo' ...

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:16:23 AM EDT
[#1]
"We did get some ghost guns where people may have 3D printed or made these guns specifically for the gun buyback program," Turner told ABC13. "We will eliminate that portion."
View Quote

So then no 3D printed guns next time?

Do improvised firearms instead.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Do they take BB guns?  I have a couple of old rusty ones that need recycled.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been a cop in harris county for 13 years. I pulled a stolen pistol off a turd last night. Got a gun off a dude on Friday night too. There's a really nice Bulgarian side folder AKM 7.62 (with the sidefolder missing) sitting in the evidence room that some dude was trying to hide when cops arrived. Some cops in northwest Houston got shot at three days ago with a Glock with an "extendo's" magazine and a $15 aluminum Wish.com "switch".

Basically, Harris county is completely awash in guns and criminals, and there's more than enough guns to go around for all the criminals that want them.

I would estimate that better than 60% of all of these guns are stolen from 40 year old men with the maturity and responsibility of a 6 year old, who leave their LOADED PISTOLS in UNLOCKED cars all over Houston, because "This is a safe neighborhood", and "Nothing like this has ever happened here!". I'm sure that there's at least a quantifiable percentage of these mental midgets that are Arfcommers too....

We now have 11-18 year old, fatherless criminals, running around the neighborhoods at night, in +90 degree weather (every night in Houston for like 6 frigging months), while wearing black hoodies pulled over their heads like cornholio (my fingers are still crossed for a heat casualty victim with a backpack full of pistols, fake gold and "icy bling" watches, sunglasses, pocket change, and shitty cologne), with black basketball pants and black shoes (copy and paste suspect description here-reports at least make it easy on me), pulling on every car door handle in the neighborhood, looking for unlocked cars with handguns left inside. Locally, the colloquialism for these criminals is "Car Hoppers".  

I keep telling these "responsible gun owners" that one day they're going to walk out to their front porch to smoke a cigarette in their underwear and find somebody burglarizing their car. They're going to do that instinctive "Hey! You there! Get the fuck out of my car!" thing, and the 15 year old, elementary school drop out kid, high on whatever he found in the last car, will jump out the homeowner's car in a panic, and shoot homeowner with his own pistol.

I've worked like three shootings in the last month, and the details change, but the details are all equally stupid. One of my top 5 go to mottos for years has been 90% all crime is "crime on crime". Leaving your gun in an unlocked car isn't "crime" (yet), but it's so irresponsible, that it's *almost* reaching the mens rea / criminal intent level to establish probable cause for a "making a firearm accessible to a child" citation.

The remaining guns are legally purchased by turds that haven't been caught committing felonies or assault-family violence offenses yet, and turds who get their girlfriends to buy their guns for them.

In short, these gun buy backs are COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY WORTHLESS at getting any guns off the street that are actually going to be used against normal humans and citizens. Not because the guns that are being seized aren't the ones that may be used in crimes... but because even if these guns do get turned in, the thieves that stole them can just go back out and get 3 or 4 more in a night with four hours of work.

Also, the street value of a "street gun", is way over $50, so any gun thief is just going to sell their stolen pistol to some other turd before they take a quarter or a fifth of it's value to sell it so the city of Houston...
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as the real turds are the elected officials in Harris county, nothing will change.  

El Commentate will keep trying to empty the jails of Harris county for any reason.

The DA will undercharge felons for fear of being called a meanie.

Judges will let felons out on low bonds, and if they are arrested while on bond, will be given another bond.

The mayor will continue to take bribes, and go along with it all.

The chief of police will continue to be an ass puppet of whoever the mayor is, having a convenient drop seat in the back of his pants to allow for a hand to be shoved into his ass like a ventriloquist dummy.

The Sheriff will continue to be another leftist mouthpiece, trying to leverage that position into a higher office, a la A. Garcia.

Those turds are far more of a danger to Harris county than someone who gets a gun stolen from them.  

This ends when someone from the Harris county ruling class - some judge, or lawyer, or elected official, gets shot in the neck during a robbery, at a lunch fund raiser at fancy River Oaks restaurant, and spurts bright arterial blood all over the nice white linen table cloth, ruining it completely.  Then crime will be taken seriously by those who run the county.  Till then, nope.

The gun buying program was as poorly run as anything else done by the City.  I went to try to get $150 bucks for possibly the worst modern gun ever made - a Jennings .380 which has the bad habit of breaking the slide in two during firing.

The event was 8-12, and I drove up about 945 - to find the line of cars stretching down the street for maybe half a mile.  I turned around, and in the 5 minutes all that took, the line had not moved a single car.

A shame, as I was going to immediately take the $150 gift card and use it to buy some ammo at AIM Surplus, but alas, the Jennings will live to clutter up the safe for another day.

I did see some guys along the sidewalk with "I'll buy your gun" signs - it was a perfect setup for them as they could stay on the public sidewalk several blocks away from the event, and cops would be too lazy to walk two blocks to hassle them on some trumped up "disturbing the peace" charge like they are told to throw around by their political masters during these events.  I wonder if those guys bought anything good.  Would be a hoot if they went home with some nice stuff rescued.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I did see some guys along the sidewalk with "I'll buy your gun" signs - it was a perfect setup for them as they could stay on the public sidewalk several blocks away from the event, and cops would be too lazy to walk two blocks to hassle them on some trumped up "disturbing the peace" charge like they are told to throw around by their political masters during these events.  I wonder if those guys bought anything good.  Would be a hoot if they went home with some nice stuff rescued.
View Quote

I'm planning to hang out & see if I can snag some nice guns from the shredder & blowtorch.

As long as Democrats practice their "Catch & Release" of Violent Felons - Crime will continue to flourish to no one's surprise.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would estimate that better than 60% of all of these guns are stolen from 40 year old men with the maturity and responsibility of a 6 year old, who leave their LOADED PISTOLS in UNLOCKED cars all over Houston, because "This is a safe neighborhood", and "Nothing like this has ever happened here!". I'm sure that there's at least a quantifiable percentage of these mental midgets that are Arfcommers too....
View Quote

It is the same where I work and I work in a nice area. Turds from Houston come down and rape an entire neighborhood with vehicle burglaries.  Every single one of them was an unlocked vehicle.  They get 4 or 5 guns a night.  Stop leaving "truck guns" in your vehicles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top