Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2022 2:09:29 PM EDT
Wife and I have been married for about two years now living in an apartment in south eastern PA. We just had our first kid and now we’re looking for a home. Our lease was up so we moved in with my parents temporarily while we look for a permanent living situation. Housing around here is unaffordable for us. Small ranches are going for $350-400k.

I’m looking at a few states where I think we might be happy but really know nothing about them so I’m trying to do some research. My wife is 100% work from home so that is a plus, and I’m a Ford mechanic.

Is there any locations in the state you all would recommend I start researching for a young family that is affordable with good schools for our daughter? Looking for a house in the 175k range.

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you are going to find anything that meets both criteria.
At least in DFW.
most of the top ones in my area are homes starting in the 400k range if that low.
with some really old homes as exceptions.

the list I found has one area with the number 2 school district it says, but no idea how good the list is.
Mercedes texas, is near the boarder near corpus.
that has some less expensive homes, but again, most start at 200k.

but it doesn't even show on this list.
https://www.publicschoolreview.com/top-ranked-districts-with-best-public-schools/texas

you may have to chose between cheap housing vs good schooling.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
You should be able to find a workable compromise in the Temple area I’m happy with the service I get from the Ford dealer there and I see the same faces when I take my car in (in before the hate shitshow now…).  I was going to recommend Little River-Academy just south of Temple but prices have gone up there.  Troy might work as well. Do your due diligence before you commit to anything in a neighborhood at that price point.  Go there in the evening and on weekends.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:36:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wife and I have been married for about two years now living in an apartment in south eastern PA. We just had our first kid and now we’re looking for a home. Our lease was up so we moved in with my parents temporarily while we look for a permanent living situation. Housing around here is unaffordable for us. Small ranches are going for $350-400k.

I’m looking at a few states where I think we might be happy but really know nothing about them so I’m trying to do some research. My wife is 100% work from home so that is a plus, and I’m a Ford mechanic.

Is there any locations in the state you all would recommend I start researching for a young family that is affordable with good schools for our daughter? Looking for a house in the 175k range.

Thank you
View Quote

I've got family with kids in Burleson, and it seems to me that they have great schools/facilities/activities for kids.  Just a bit south of the big cities in DFW and still growing.

I saw this house there:  https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/650-Deborah-Ct-Burleson-TX-76028/28631796_zpid/  Older and sold as-is, but looks decent.  Just a few houses away from an elementary school, and a park with a lake and trails.  Great location.  3 miles from Ford dealership.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Abilene area is great.  Small towns in the surrounding area with affordable housing and Ford Dealers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#6]
East and Deep East Texas is the only place I can think of where you can find cheap housing and decent (not necessarily good) schools.  Some of the smaller towns have publics schools that beat the shit of of the Dallas & Ft Wroth school districts.

You start looking in and around the metro area at highly rated school districts and starter homes are going to be $350K $450K .

Look at Tyler and south, without getting close to I-45,

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife & I retired and moved from DFW to the Abilene area in 2018. We have an acreage 25 miles north of Abilene.

We love the rural life here. Super nice people and a reasonable cost of living.

Maybe also check out Anson, Albany, Stamford, & Breckenridge.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Abilene area is great.  Small towns in the surrounding area with affordable housing and Ford Dealers.
View Quote

Abilene and Lubbock are 2 places I'd recommend
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Corpus Christi area is booming.  They are widening the canal to accept bigger oil vessels which mean jobs in the energy sector.  Unfortunately I can speak to housing availability or school quality, but I am sure housing in that area will not be getting cheaper.

Abilene area is also good if you can live with scrub brush, and wind, and prairie, etc. It might be hard for transplants to thrive in west Texas unless you’re familiar with it.

Stay away from major urban areas, they’re repugnant, like most major cities in the US.  Just because they are located in Texas doesn’t exclude them from the normal stupid shit we witness on the news every night.  

The Hill country still has all the things that made this a great state, but prices are insane.

West of Fort Worth is still good - Mineral Wells, Granbury, Stephenville would be my search areas as well.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't have any idea what dealership pay scales look like when considering the small town dealerships vs those in DFW, Houston etc.

However, if you can get out an hour away from the big cities, home prices drop considerably. If you can't/won't make the commute in, most other people won't either.

Hillcountry: Probably just rule that out

Permian Basin: If you can show up to work, piss clean and turn a wrench, you will get poached by a service company. Abilene and Lubbock are just outside that region, but you would be able to investigate the industry. Don't move into the Permian without a good job with benefits lined up, and an exit strategy.

Abilene & Lubbock: Both will be a big change of scenery. But there are affordable areas and neighboring smaller towns, as well as dealerships. The people are great. I'd look hard at Lubbock, myself.

I can't speak to East Texas and the Houston area. Both have innumerable small towns and good people, outside of the cities

San Angelo: I've always loved San Angelo, and it would be worth checking out IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top