Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2022 4:45:00 PM EDT
If my neighbor(who may or may not be on meds)can he posses inherited weapons? Wouldn’t he have to admit to being on meds?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of meds? Psych meds?
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Being on medication is not, in itself, a prohibiting factor. If he was adjudicated mentally defective, then yes, but that's a much more involved process than just being prescribed meds.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Fact is: he’s been bugging me to sell him an AR, especially after the election(he wants to be safe!). He told me til I could puke about what an asshole Trump is so he voted for Biden.

I asked f his RING cams picked a truck in front of my house on such & such date(he has the whole street covered!)and he said nope, nothing.

I did a police report and mentioned to the cop about my neighbor wanting me to sell a rifle but didn’t want to do paperwork. I also said a lot of people are like that.

My question is what did the officer say to the nutty neighbor cause he doesn’t speak anymore, walk his dogs or anything.

Maybe lithium; I e been around a few nuts in my lifetime!

I’d hate for home to lose his Dad’s guns.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If your "Spider Sense" says "Somethings NOT Right" ...

Better to errr and say "Sorry - I lost all my guns in a tragic accident in the Gulf of Mexico (or lake Conroe...)

Being on "Meds" is not a disqualifier, but if has been involuntarily committed and officially adjudicated mentally incompetent, then I'm pretty sure having his Guns is a "No No for Bozo" ...

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
If it seems like something is wrong, something is probably wrong.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Obviously we can sell guns person-to-person here in the state to other state citizens, but it seems to me that this might be one of those cases to pass...bigly.

Can you imagine the lawyers coming out of the woodwork for you if this Biden voter went berserk with the gun you sold him?...not to mention what authorities might try to drum up out of thin air for you.

It's currently a free country for a citizen to vote for who they want...dead or alive...but I'd consider anyone voting for Biden to be mentally impaired and therefore not a candidate for me to sell a firearm to.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Updated:

Just had three guys come to my door,10P, tap a few times. My dog(small & yappy)lights up and I ask 3 times what do you want. They back off still watching the door.

I get my phone call HCSO non emergency and they got here in 30 mins.

The three boys(as I see under The street light sit in the car for a while then interact with a couple cars that pull up.

Officer friendly arrives and makes one of them pour out a quart or more of something while running IDs and they all left.

The nutty neighbor came out to give me a glare while I was out with my dog then go talk to the cop who was talking to the owners of the house across the street and they have a HS daughter whom I think may have been a target of this possible meet up.

I just hope the nut job didn’t lose his stuff.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe mount a claymore on the wall over your bad and  facing towards the bedroom door. Sleep with the clacker in your bed under the blankets. When the neighbor comes in while you are sleeping and then you wake up, squeeze the clacker. Sleep with ear plugs in.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If my neighbor(who may or may not be on meds)can he posses inherited weapons? Wouldn’t he have to admit to being on meds?

Thanks
View Quote

First, admit to who? If the deceased resided in Texas, no transfer through an FFL or 4473 is required.

The only prohibiting factors related to medications or drugs under federal law is on the Form 4473:
21.e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized
for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside

So if those meds were prescribed, he's not unlawful.

Regarding his mental state:
21. f. Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?
Page 5 of the 4473 instructions.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Prohibitions

- convicted of a felony
-convicted of a domestic violence misdemeanor
-under Domestic Violence restraining order
- unlawful user / addicted to drugs - RX doesn’t count
-illegal alien

For mental health grounds the person must have been involuntary committed or declared incompetent by a judge in a 2 party hearing with representation.

In TX civil commitments for mental health are usually a collateral duty handled by the County Probate courts. So if you want to research your neighbor make sure to check the county clerk civil court records.

- self check ins for mental health care don’t count
- emergency detention for evaluation by cops/EMS/fire/ doctors don’t count..
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For mental health grounds the person must have been involuntary committed or declared incompetent by a judge in a 2 party hearing with representation.

In TX civil commitments for mental health are usually a collateral duty handled by the County Probate courts. So if you want to research your neighbor make sure to check the county clerk civil court records.

- self check ins for mental health care don’t count
- emergency detention for evaluation by cops/EMS/fire/ doctors don’t count..
View Quote

Be careful about this kind of 'legal advice'. Please.

Granted this is while completing a 4473.  But it might be relevant.

f. Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution? (See Instructions for Question
11.f.)

( 11F )

Question 11.f. Adjudicated as a Mental Defective: A determination by a court,
board, commission, or other lawful authority that a person, as a result of marked
subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease: (1) is
a danger to himself or to others; or (2) lacks the mental capacity to contract or
manage his own affairs. This term shall include: (1) a finding of insanity by a court
in a criminal case; and (2) those persons found incompetent to stand trial or found not
guilty by reason of lack of mental responsibility.

Committed to a Mental Institution: A formal commitment of a person to a mental
institution by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority. The term
includes a commitment to a mental institution involuntarily. The term includes
commitment for mental defectiveness or mental illness. It also includes commitments
for other reasons, such as for drug use. The term does not include a person in a
mental institution for observation or a voluntary admission to a mental institution.

EXCEPTION: Under the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007, a person
who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution
in a State proceeding is not prohibited by the adjudication or commitment if

the person has been granted relief by the adjudicating/committing State pursuant to
a qualifying mental health relief from disabilities program. Also, a person who has
been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution by a
department or agency of Federal Government is not prohibited by the adjudication
or commitment if either: (a) the person's adjudication or commitment was set-aside
or expunged by the adjudicating/committing agency; (b) the person has been fully
released or discharged from all mandatory treatment, supervision, or monitoring by
the agency; (c) the person was found by the agency to no longer suffer from the
mental health condition that served as the basis of the initial adjudication/
commitment; or (d) the adjudication or commitment, respectively, is based solely
on a medical finding of disability, without an opportunity for a hearing by a court,
board, commission, or other lawful authority, and the person has not been
adjudicated as a mental defective consistent with section 922(g)(4) of title 18,
United States Code; (e) the person was granted relief from the adjudicating/
committing agency pursuant to a qualified mental health relief from disabilities
program. Persons who fall within one of the above exceptions should answer
"no" to question 11.f. This exception to an adjudication or commitment by a
Federal department or agency does not apply to any person who was adjudicated
to be not guilty by reason of insanity, or based on lack of mental responsibility, or
found incompetent to stand trial, in any criminal case or under the Uniform Code
of Military Justice

------------------------------------------------

With all that said, don't sell guns to anyone who --you know--  is on medication for a psychiatric disorder, mental illness, or depression.  Remember, civil courts are different. While it may not be illegal, what do you think is going to happen in the Uvalde case?

Make that person buy a gun from an FFL and answer the questions there.  It's not worth the sale. Period.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

These kinds of hypotheticals are impossible to answer. Nobody 'has' to do anything, or admit to anything, period end.

What someone else does with an inherited object is their own business and really not anyone's concern and not worth getting involved.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#13]
1.  Why do you care?

2.  Why did you feel the need to inform LE about business betwixt you and your neighbor?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top