Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2022 3:50:44 PM EDT
I'm hopefully moving down to TX and the next month or so.  Can anyone give me recommendations on a good local bank/credit union?  

I'd like to have an account set up before I get down there and I'm trying to avoid the big guys.  

These larger banking institutions aren't typically 2A friendly and or divulge too much information to entities unnecessarily.  I'd rather not give them my business.

I plan on living someplace North or East of Frisco.

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]
We are really happy with RBFCU. Can't speak to their 2A friendliness but their services and customer support is great
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Texans CU
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#3]
No recommendations but will say skip PNC…. We were BBVA customers that are part of the merge and as soon as thing slow down i plan on switching.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Good stuff please keep'em coming.  TY
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I didnt know RBFCU was in Dallas FTW .  Ive used them for 20 years.  Some small minor gripes over the years but they have been as good as any other bank has been.  Decent perks and auto loans have been a breeze to obtain.

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Where are you moving to? Some of the smaller towns may give you some options you haven't considered yet.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not sure yet.  All I have is that radius of North, Northeast or East of Dallas/Frisco.  I'll have to commute to just North of Plano off of 75.  So I wouldn't want to be more that 45 minutes out.

We need to find good schools and I would like to be someplace more rural with at least 1-2 acres.  Ideally, I would like to have 5-10 acres or enough property to legally shoot on but I don't know if I'll have the $$ for that.
I'll have to rent a house first until our current one sells.  This will be painful and expensive but we have to get out of this garbage state we're in so it's worth it.  

Then the hunt for the final destination begins.  Definitely need to be in a red county/town.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure yet.  All I have is that radius of North, Northeast or East of Dallas/Frisco.  I'll have to commute to just North of Plano off of 75.  So I wouldn't want to be more that 45 minutes out.

We need to find good schools and I would like to be someplace more rural with at least 1-2 acres.  Ideally, I would like to have 5-10 acres or enough property to legally shoot on but I don't know if I'll have the $$ for that.
I'll have to rent a house first until our current one sells.  This will be painful and expensive but we have to get out of this garbage state we're in so it's worth it.  

Then the hunt for the final destination begins.  Definitely need to be in a red county/town.
View Quote

You might want to look in the Howe-Van Alstyne-Anna area then. All are on US 75 and would be an easy commute into the north Plano/Allen area. Good schools, low crime, and all growing like a weed with lots of country lots to look at.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#9]
The only " Good schools " in Texas are private or charter schools.  Public schools are worthless, here, too, dont make that mistake.

Link Posted: 7/16/2022 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You might want to look in the Howe-Van Alstyne-Anna area then. All are on US 75 and would be an easy commute into the north Plano/Allen area. Good schools, low crime, and all growing like a weed with lots of country lots to look at.
View Quote

Excellent.  TY sir!  I'll definitely research it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No recommendations but will say skip PNC…. We were BBVA customers that are part of the merge and as soon as thing slow down i plan on switching.
View Quote

I was in the same boat.  PNC's fees are incredible.  

Switched to EECU credit union, which is Fort Worth based.  I don't think they've got branches up in Frisco/Plano.  I've been really happy with them.  And, of course, since it's a credit union, great interest rates and no fees.

I have no idea why anyone would put their money in a bank instead of a credit union.  EECU just recently opened a branch in my town, otherwise I'd have been with a credit union much sooner.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Texans CU
View Quote

I've got to say no to Texans CU.  

I was with them for 15 years.  Towards the end, their fees were out of control.  And my credit card with them got hacked twice in a year despite me not using it (it was a back-up cc, not registered online anywhere).  Getting that fixed was a PITA.  The last straw was when we were trying to refi the mortgage and their math was just wrong.  

IIRC, they were having some serious financial issues in the early 2000 time frame.  Something about them being loan heavy versus actual assets.  I was gone by that point so I didn't pay close attention.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've got to say no to Texans CU.  

I was with them for 15 years.  Towards the end, their fees were out of control.  And my credit card with them got hacked twice in a year despite me not using it (it was a back-up cc, not registered online anywhere).  Getting that fixed was a PITA.  The last straw was when we were trying to refi the mortgage and their math was just wrong.  

IIRC, they were having some serious financial issues in the early 2000 time frame.  Something about them being loan heavy versus actual assets.  I was gone by that point so I didn't pay close attention.
View Quote

Who did you go with after parting ways with them if I may ask?
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Who did you go with after parting ways with them if I may ask?
View Quote

I wanna say Nations Bank.  Which got bought by WaMu, which got bought by Chase, which borg'd into whatever they call it now.  It started good, but you can guess the end result.  I've not yet found anything I want to switch to.

My wife uses a credit union for teachers.  It's had several names, but it's called Credit Union of Texas now.  She's annoyed with them because they took away the interest on the savings accounts because of the beerbug, and they've not reinstated it.  She's got a bunch of money sitting there earning jack squat, so we've been talking to investors about moving it.

We tried having an account with Bank of Texas for awhile and kind of liked them.  The only problem I had with them is that there wasn't a branch anywhere close to the house and their online banking left much to be desired.  This is 20 years ago though, so apply salt as necessary.

There are some smaller banks that I've looked into (State Bank of Texas, Veritex Community, Truist - formerly Sun Trust), but not of them really gave me the warm fuzzy I was looking for.  

I think as a general rule, banks and credit unions suck.  Finding a good one is tough.  And even if you do, it's only one merger away from sucking.  

Convenience and a decent website for paying bills online is the only reason I've stayed with Chase.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Frost Bank.

Headquartered in San Antonio, locally-owned, not "woke", excellent customer service.

155 branches, 1200 ATMs -  It's the 53rd largest bank in the US.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Frost Bank.

Headquartered in San Antonio, locally-owned, not "woke", excellent customer service.

155 branches, 1200 ATMs -  It's the 53rd largest bank in the US.
View Quote

This. They're also tripling their footprint in Dallas over 2022 and 2023.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Frost looks pretty good.  

Unfortunately, they won't let you set up an account until you live in TX.  I might have to set something up initially with one of the credit unions.  Then perhaps switch to Frost once I get situated.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Texas Bank in Van Alstyne or Anna. The banks are new to the area, but I have banked with the people running them for over 30 years. Home office for the banks is in East Texas and family owned.

Dwayne that runs the Van Alstyne branch is a very successful cowboy action type shooter.

Fine people!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top