Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2022 12:29:11 AM EDT
Ever since my fixed rate plan at 9.7c per kwh plan expired a few years ago, these seem to now be suckville.

My wife signed us up for a new plan that looked good, but I guess she didn't read the fine print and when you go over a certain amount they fuck you in the ass.  It is tiered, and aggressively, similar to what I saw for the 3 years or so that I lived in California a while back.

Finally that awful 2 year plan is almost over so we're shopping around and man, it looks like all the plans are like that now.  They try to make it confusing as well (if you hit a certain breakpoint, do all the kwh get charged at that rate?  Or is each block charged at the block rate?) and if you ask questions they beat around the bush.

Talking to people at work and it seems much the same-----people who had old fixed rate plans around 9-13c are now looking at average 22-23c plans.  Are we just the new California now or are there a actually any power plans worth a damn out there anymore?

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:44:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like they are betting on energy prices to come down significantly in the future. I've never seen 5 year or 3 year plans be the norm from the little provides. Those short term 1 to 2 years plans are high, looks like industry wide they want to drive longer plans at a lower rate. and it used to be you paid a premium for the longer rate. Now the longer the lower meaning they expect it to fall I guess.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I went with a 3 year plan in April. With Biden and the Democrats in office, the prices are probably going to increase more.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#3]
My property is only serviced by a Coop, so no choice. They just sent out an email stating prices were going up due to fuel price increases.

Noticed my rate went from 9 cents to 11 cents earlier this year. The recent bill just pushed up to 13 cents.

Sadly, the coop I use doesn't even generate their own power. Use to decades ago, but those plants were shuttered. They should be investing in nuclear.

Going nuclear saves the environment, less land used and far fewer birds killed.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#4]
My previous plan was for two years and it just expired.  I reupped for another two years and the cheapest I could find was a 30% increase.  It's definitely going up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#5]
At the very least I'm learning that setting the AC to 82 vs 75 isn't really that bad.

We'll see how it impacts the bottom line though.  I notice it is on much less on all these ~104 days.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
My residential plan isn't as good as it used to be either. It went up.

We signed a 5 year plan on our commercial property, it was pretty reasonable. They are betting on it leveling out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Energy Ogre is supposed to be useful to keep you on the lowest plan available.

They pay any switching fees too and keep up with what is changing to keep you at the lowest cost.

They do get something for saving you $$$, but I found it easier and cheaper in the long run to outsource and let me focus on more important things.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 6/10/2022 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Energy Ogre. Check out their website. They review your usage and find the best plan for you. They have saved me a ton of money the past two years. We are all going to pay more but so far, Energy Ogre has easily been worth the $120 annual cost for me.

YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#9]
The smart money is on Natural Gas to keep climbing in cost.  We will export 30% or our domestic nat gas production this year and that percentage is expected to keep climbing  Gas is where 30%+ of our power comes from during the daylight hours on a normally day. ...and where 75% of our power comes from during a winter storm.

I found the cheapest non-tiered, three year rate I could get and locked it in.  That puts be at about 10.6/kwh.

IF you lock in one of these, watch the company if Nat Gas goes up a lot.  I think some of these companies doing 3-year locks  with eventfully file bankruptcy. When they do, you will be transferred into the delivery company's highest or market rate pool. You may not be notified for up to 45 days.

This fucked over a lot of people last year and back in 2011.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#10]
We use EnergyOgre.  Our contract just expired on 6/8 and we did not receive any updates via email for a new contract so I called.

We were paying .10kwh, the rep told me prices have skyrocketed and we locked into a 3yr contract at .15kwh

They also told me one year contracts are anywhere from .18-.22kwh right now for our area.  We are on the Centerpoint grid (Houston).  

The rep also mentioned that EnergyOgre’s system had to be updated to allow contracts for longer than 12 month, since they usually put people on 6 month or 12 month contracts.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#11]

They want you to use less.

Then when you drop below 1000 a month.

They jack the rate up.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#12]
This is weird, I've been running my AC on only 80 in anticipation of these higher costs and last month I was good.

Then I get a bill for 400 dollars saying I used 2200 kwh.....this is nuts it hasn't been THAT hot.  I'm going to start photographing my meter at intervals because this seems fucky.

Are you guys saying that 15 cents per Kwh is really as good as it gets right now?

I'm at 17 and this is garbage california level power bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:03:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is weird, I've been running my AC on only 80 in anticipation of these higher costs and last month I was good.

Then I get a bill for 400 dollars saying I used 2200 kwh.....this is nuts it hasn't been THAT hot.  I'm going to start photographing my meter at intervals because this seems fucky.

Are you guys saying that 15 cents per Kwh is really as good as it gets right now?

View Quote

LOL, California is a approx $0.30
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go to SmartMeterTexas register your meter. You will be able to get usage data from them down to 15 minute increments.

It's not real time, I believe it is 24 hour delayed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

.15 and higher.

Its going to get worse near term.   Here's hoping we get back to a safe energy policy.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:22:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Go to SmartMeterTexas register your meter. You will be able to get usage data from them down to 15 minute increments.

It's not real time, I believe it is 24 hour delayed.
View Quote

This

The truth is, modern electric meters are pretty reliable. You are much more likely to have problems caused by the billing system than the meter. Smartmeter lets you see your 15 min, daily, and monthly totals.  Find the monthly total and multiple by your rate (if its a flat rate) and you know your bill, except for taxes and fees.

Smartmeter Tx will teach you a LOT about your household habits.  

Our Sunday bills go through the roof...laundry day... heating water and running the dryer.

We can also see bump at night, when we shower before bed.

In the winter I was seeing a big spike at 6:00 each morning.  We have a heat pump that is pretty stingy, but there was a big 15 - 30 min spike EVERY weekday morning.  The wife gets up for work at 6:00 and was manually moving the temp from it's overnight 66 degrees up to 70...well, that exceeded the 2 degree deadband on the heat pump and all the resistance heat was kicking on. Simply scheduling the temp to rise slowly starting at 5:30 saved us about $20 month.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 1:48:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I did what Energy Ogre is suggesting right now since they said they cant save money right now.

I took a 3 year fixed rate plan at 14.2 per kwh (Constellation), that has a $100 cancellation fee.  They are anticipating rates to come down, when I first started shopping for a new contract in early June, the cheapest rate was 17.7 per kwh with a 3 year plan.  They said in December they believe that rates will be around 12 per kwh, and that a $100 cancellation fee would be a good deal.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the tip on Constellation, I just switched to them and should save quite a bit.

I guess they break down the delivery charge in cents per kwh now instead of a flat rate so I'll get 9.6c per kwh base rate plus 3 and change on the delivery.  Not bad.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Last month our power bill was $158 (5/16 - 6/15)

This month due to the oppressive heat it’s $323 (6/16-7/15).  We switched plans in early June with Energy Ogre.

Be ready for some shock because our up normal summer power bills were around $180 at their highest.

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:23:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I've seen much hotter waves than this, I guess this is the first time since I had more than 13c/hkw
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've seen much hotter waves than this, I guess this is the first time since I had more than 13c/hkw
View Quote

Around 2008 it spiked pretty hard, I want to say .15 or so.  But with the number of LNG plants we're building to ship NG over seas i doubt NG comes back down anytime soon, unless we start drilling a bunch.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:46:32 AM EDT
[#22]
$410 last month and $929 this month; just the wife and I. Dang dog better keep her grubbies off the thermo!

Wifee likes 72* to sleep; if I wake to pee I'm so cold I end up staying up! 75* during the day.

Last month the rate was .209; this month it's .219. I think our contract has expired.

I'll see if Energy Ogre can help.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Energy Ogre is supposed to be useful to keep you on the lowest plan available.

They pay any switching fees too and keep up with what is changing to keep you at the lowest cost.

They do get something for saving you $$$, but I found it easier and cheaper in the long run to outsource and let me focus on more important things.

BIGGER_HAMMER

View Quote

That sounds like what I need to do.

PM inbound.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Fucking Gexa!

I get a bill for $929; I called this morning and the automaton says my account balance is $429. WTH?

They are under "updating mode" and I should call back in an hour!
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fucking Gexa!

I get a bill for $929; I called this morning and the automaton says my account balance is $429. WTH?

They are under "updating mode" and I should call back in an hour!
View Quote

I've had a lot of companies over the years and they flat out suck.   The only one I had to report to the puc and the puc who is usually useless forced them to cancel my contract so I could move elsewhere.   The only reason that happend is I recorded the phone call if gexa lying to me......Choose wisely

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top