Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2022 11:27:55 AM EDT
Not sure what’s going on, but I went to pick up a transfer that came in to find a sign saying they were no longer doing walk-in retail. Their FB page says:
“Effective immediately, SWFA will no longer operate a retail presence in Midlothian, Texas.  Existing firearms and NFA transfers will be accommodated via appointment only.  To schedule an appointment please contact, [email protected].”
No other info as to why or what form they will take going forward.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Hope they're doing ok. They are good people
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hope they're doing ok. They are good people
View Quote

Me too. Done business with them since 2000. Not sure what's going on, if they're just doing online only now or totally closing up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang I hope they don't shut down. I like buying from them and the SS scopes are a helluva bargain.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know what's going on?  I heard they would do transfers by appointment only, but just got an email saying they are not doing transfers at this time??
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I made an appointment to pick up my two transfers last Thursday.
I asked about their plans, but didn't get much in the way of real info. I was told they were stopping the retail storefront and just going to focus on online sales. He said that hopefully this would "lead to something better down the road."
I asked if they would continue to do transfers by appointment, and he said no. So it sounds like either they are shutting down their FFL or something else happened, no idea.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#6]
wow.  they've been my go to for transfers for years.  They've also been decent when I needed a detent spring or pre-owned scope.  Shame
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
wow.  they've been my go to for transfers for years.  They've also been decent when I needed a detent spring or pre-owned scope.  Shame
View Quote

Yeah, I'm really disappointed. I first used them when they were in a small brick building/garage behind a house next to Cockrell Hill Elementary, way back in 2000. Followed them to Red Oak, and then to Midlo. Always had really good service with them, and it was nice being able to drop into a physical store for stuff at times.
Not sure what exactly they are going to end up doing, but it is definitely going to leave a vacancy.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Probably going the way that DSG went.  You can still go to DSG and pick stuff up but they didn't have a showroom any longer last time I was there.   I would bet 99% of their sales come from online orders so it doesn't make sense to keep a showroom any longer.  Especially with how hard it is hire people.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I went to school with someone associated with the business. I got a canned response. Basically, supply chain issues and the pain in the ass  of running a retail store front verses just doing online sales.

I'm guessing if you make a few million in online sales just shipping stuff out on FedEx whenever you get around to it verses having to staff a retail space 6 days a week and deal with all the bullshit that goes along with that and only clear a few hundred thousand. Screw it. I'd close it too, go on vacation with my wife, drive around in my sports car and 4x4 and enjoy my life.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Probably going the way that DSG went.  You can still go to DSG and pick stuff up but they didn't have a showroom any longer last time I was there.   I would bet 99% of their sales come from online orders so it doesn't make sense to keep a showroom any longer.  Especially with how hard it is hire people.  

View Quote
That's how Primary Arms is also.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I made an appointment to pick up my two transfers last Thursday.
I asked about their plans, but didn't get much in the way of real info. I was told they were stopping the retail storefront and just going to focus on online sales. He said that hopefully this would "lead to something better down the road."
I asked if they would continue to do transfers by appointment, and he said no. So it sounds like either they are shutting down their FFL or something else happened, no idea.
View Quote
Possibly a protective move given the ATF's behavior lately with FFL's. Why risk your whole business over something that is a tiny fraction of your profits, if any. By shutting down the customer side FFL stuff, even if they maintain an FFL and fulfill orders that get sent to another FFL for someone to pick up, they avoid a LOT of the pitfalls the ATF is using to destroy businesses.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:20:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm really disappointed. I first used them when they were in a small brick building/garage behind a house next to Cockrell Hill Elementary, way back in 2000. Followed them to Red Oak, and then to Midlo. Always had really good service with them, and it was nice being able to drop into a physical store for stuff at times.
Not sure what exactly they are going to end up doing, but it is definitely going to leave a vacancy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.  Used to go to their place at the house.  They've been my primary FFL for standard and NFA transfers for years.  They had a really nice shop out on 287, sorry to see them close it down.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 1:26:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm guessing if you make a few million in online sales just shipping stuff out on FedEx whenever you get around to it verses having to staff a retail space 6 days a week and deal with all the bullshit that goes along with that and only clear a few hundred thousand. Screw it. I'd close it too, go on vacation with my wife, drive around in my sports car and 4x4 and enjoy my life.
View Quote

To be brutally honest - they made the right call.

If what you're selling can be sold online, then having a physical store (with all its overhead costs) is just a huge money sink.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top