Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2022 12:21:51 PM EDT
Live by the river now, and been going tubing my whole life but somehow never made it to Garner/Frio yet.

Haven't been camping with the whole family since before rice rabies (usually just me and the 7.5 year old)

Any tips to help my sanity when camping with a pampered wife and 2 year old other than copious amounts of alcohol (1/2 kidding)

Plan to take the tubes and the paddle board - throw a couple bikes on the rack as I don't want to take the trailer setup for the baby as it eats up too much room.

Need to figure out a tent and sleeping arrangements this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It can be pretty crazy there during high season(now). Take some good shoes and hike up Old Baldy. Trail is sort of messed up and helps to take a random stick or pole from your camp with you for the loose rocks. Cool view of the park.

There is also a pretty well stocked Family Dollar store in town that has a bunch of junk for river rafting and things you forgot.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Camped there last fall.

It's like a noisy, worn-out old theme park.

Guadalupe River SP is nicer -

Attachment Attached File

So is Palmetto -

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Camped there last fall.

It's like a noisy, worn-out old theme park.

Guadalupe River SP is nicer -

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13258/Guadalupe_SP_jpg-2388709.JPG

So is Palmetto -

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13258/Palmetto_SP_07_2021_2_jpg-2031597.JPG

View Quote

Thanks, we hit Guadalupe River SP last weekend - Didn't camp but it was a fun day trip.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#4]
My Daughter and Son in Law were just there last month, the park has fire bans in place, can only have for cooking in designated fire pits and must be put out when done,
extremely dry conditions. Sorry but you might want to check before you go.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
^Yes, burn bans have been pretty much universal at Texas state parks this spring.

This drought is bad news.

Just got back from a Sunday/Monday night stay in the Cedar Sage section of Guadalupe River SP.

Was surprised that it wasn't more crowded this close to Memorial Day - Well under 50% full.

As usual, the Turkey Sink section for larger RVs was almost completely occupied.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#6]
We camped at Stillhouse Hollow.
Tent camping,with free showers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top