Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2022 11:42:46 PM EDT
Passing through TX along I-10 (from FL), then breaking off towards Terlingua for a weekend in the Big Bend National parks.

Is open carry a fairly common thing there along the interstate and then off into the sticks? We’ll probably stop for fresh food provisions at San Antonio, so if I go strolling up through Walmart strapped, will it be anything out of the ordinary? (standard pistol, not long gun)

Taking the scenic route (90 to 385 past San Antonio ) along the way, and was told there’s a chance of interaction with some border patrol in some places. How are they with OC? Any hassle in the National parks?  (Riding in a fairly dedicated and ratty looking off road rig)

May seen like a series of stupid questions, but I’m from FL, and don’t get out much. Also running a pretty tight schedule, so not looking to get into anything that’ll have me tied up past my planned dates.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:16:15 AM EDT
[#1]
It’s uncommon in my AO but when I have observed it in C stores, restaurants, etc I’ve never seen anyone react.

Hope you have a good trip, holler if you need anything.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Open Carry is not all that often seen in the Urban Areas, and a number of businesses specifically prohibit Open Carry. Often restaurants (Whataburger for example) are a "No Go", as are WalMarts for Open Carry

That said, Texas has "Constitutional Carry" so you can carry concealed legally, which works very well in Whataburger & WalMart.  

Authorities on the border have always been very cool (at least in all my interactions).

Pretty sure the rule in National Parks is carry inside the buildings is a no go, but outside in the park you will be fine.  You might call to check.

Have Fun & Welcome to Texas on your Visit!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:59:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That said, Texas has "Constitutional Carry" so you can carry concealed legally, which works very well in Whataburger & WalMart.  
View Quote

Yep - And "concealed" includes "loosely concealed".

If you keep it reasonably discreet, you're unlikely to attract unwanted attention from anyone.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Have not seen one in maybe two years?  It's just not an issue.

When the law passed I think people quickly figured out how much of a pain in the ass it is and don't bother.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pretty sure the rule in National Parks is carry inside the buildings is a no go, but outside in the park you will be fine.  You might call to check.

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

https://www.nps.gov/bibe/learn/management/firearms-regulations.htm

Looks all clear. Odd that they’d say “Law enforcement rangers have the right to stop anyone carrying a handgun openly to check for possession of a concealed carry license”

What’s up with that? Doesn’t make sense.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I've seen maybe 5 people open carrying since it became a thing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Not common around here at all. You won't get bothered about it, but you don't see it very often either. Can count on one hand the number of people I've seen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not common around here at all. You won't get bothered about it, but you don't see it very often either. Can count on one hand the number of people I've seen.
View Quote

This +1.  Last time I saw it in Austin was at a Home Depot...  Only comments I heard were from the cashiers...  Basically "Did you see that 1911?  Nice!"  Wasn't me...  My 1911s are nothing special to look at (WWII era Remington Rand and a Springfield GI).  This guy's looked sweet, but way more ornamentally decked out than I would have, let alone carry.  I mostly only carry concealed, and usually a 9x19.  I used to occasionally carry a Ballester Molina (weather/clothing permitting) which is a .45 ACP but technically not a 1911 even though it looks a lot like one.

My "don't F with me bro" open carry rig is a Colt Anaconda.  I haven't had a reason to actually do that yet.  Thankfully.  I don't have a good open carry holster for anything else really.

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Looks all clear. Odd that they’d say “Law enforcement rangers have the right to stop anyone carrying a handgun openly to check for possession of a concealed carry license”

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bigger_Hammer

In Texas (Prior to Constitutional Carry), you had to have a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) to legally "Open Carry" - so a Officer of the Law could ask to see your CHL to know you are legally Open Carrying.   But Constitutional Carry passed last year so now 'open carry' or 'concealed carry' (excepting spots like Schools, Bars, Race Tracks or Sports Stadiums or Polling Places) are Bueno in Tejas.

As of September 1, 2021, a new Texas state law concerning the "open-carry" of firearms goes into effect. The new law allows for the carrying (in plain-view) of firearms in compliance with existing Federal and state firearms regulations.

Although the new law allows for open-carry within the park, the following federal regulations remain unchanged and will continue to be strictly enforced throughout Big Bend National Park.

36 CFR 2.4 (A) (1) (ii) using or discharging a firearm is prohibited.

36 CFR 2.2 (A) (1) Hunting, poaching or taking of wildlife is prohibited.

36 CFR 2.1 (a) (1) (i) Injuring, disturbing or destroying wildlife is prohibited.

36 CFR 2.2 (a) (1) (ii,iii,iv) & (a) (6) Harming, defacing or disturbing natural features, natural resources, or archeological resources is prohibited.

18 USC 930 (g) (1) Possession of firearms in federal facilities (i.e. visitor centers, ranger stations, government offices, etc...) is prohibited.

36 CFR 2.34 (a) Creating a hazardous condition, threatening or causing public alarm (this may apply to brandishing of weapon).

43 CFR 20.511 prohibits Department of the Interior employees from carrying firearms while on duty unless specifically authorized to do so (law enforcement and certain resource management positions).

For some reason
, I think the NATIONAL parks had a deal when Obama was in office that You could legally conceal carry in a National Park, if you had a CHL.

Can you conceal carry in US national parks?
Congress approved a new law allowing loaded firearms in national parks starting Feb. 22, 2010. That means people can openly carry legal handguns, rifles, shotguns and other firearms and also may carry concealed guns as allowed by state statute.Feb 22, 2010

So if you have your FL CHL, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

I'll see if I can get a clarification on it tomorrow or perhaps one of the experts can enlighten us

@TexasInvestigator

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to keep count, but somewhere along the way, I got too old to remember.

I gauge it by my local Walmart, I've seen less than a dozen people since they started open carry.

The problem is that you feel sorry for some folks, especially for the guy I saw at the gas station carrying a Ruger American in an Uncle Mike's type hip holster.

Even if you see a boomer carrying around a 1911 in a leather pancake holster, you know at some point, he at least cared enough about having a decent rig.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#11]
You see it as often as you see someone wearing spurs in the gas station.

... and it's the same sorta philosophy, too.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Didnt see any this year till last week and now have seen 2, a 1911 and a Glock.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I've not seen OC very much, and when I did it was a non-event.

I normally OC while driving. I don't use the cover garment if I stop for gas. If anyone noticed they never said anything.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I open carry when I ride, because of the comfort.

IWB just doesn't work well on a motorcycle.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 4:22:16 AM EDT
[#16]
If you dress like a typical Texan, no one will notice.

Sample of Typical Texas Attire for you to model.

Dress like this and you'll blend right in with all us Texans.

Dress like that and people will hardly notice your double pistols.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In Texas (Prior to Constitutional Carry), you had to have a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) to legally "Open Carry" - so a Officer of the Law could ask to see your CHL to know you are legally Open Carrying.   But Constitutional Carry passed last year so now 'open carry' or 'concealed carry' (excepting spots like Schools, Bars, Race Tracks or Sports Stadiums or Polling Places) are Bueno in Tejas.

As of September 1, 2021, a new Texas state law concerning the "open-carry" of firearms goes into effect. The new law allows for the carrying (in plain-view) of firearms in compliance with existing Federal and state firearms regulations.

Although the new law allows for open-carry within the park, the following federal regulations remain unchanged and will continue to be strictly enforced throughout Big Bend National Park.

36 CFR 2.4 (A) (1) (ii) using or discharging a firearm is prohibited.

36 CFR 2.2 (A) (1) Hunting, poaching or taking of wildlife is prohibited.

36 CFR 2.1 (a) (1) (i) Injuring, disturbing or destroying wildlife is prohibited.

36 CFR 2.2 (a) (1) (ii,iii,iv) & (a) (6) Harming, defacing or disturbing natural features, natural resources, or archeological resources is prohibited.

18 USC 930 (g) (1) Possession of firearms in federal facilities (i.e. visitor centers, ranger stations, government offices, etc...) is prohibited.

36 CFR 2.34 (a) Creating a hazardous condition, threatening or causing public alarm (this may apply to brandishing of weapon).

43 CFR 20.511 prohibits Department of the Interior employees from carrying firearms while on duty unless specifically authorized to do so (law enforcement and certain resource management positions).

For some reason
, I think the NATIONAL parks had a deal when Obama was in office that You could legally conceal carry in a National Park, if you had a CHL.

Can you conceal carry in US national parks?
Congress approved a new law allowing loaded firearms in national parks starting Feb. 22, 2010. That means people can openly carry legal handguns, rifles, shotguns and other firearms and also may carry concealed guns as allowed by state statute.Feb 22, 2010

So if you have your FL CHL, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

I'll see if I can get a clarification on it tomorrow or perhaps one of the experts can enlighten us

@TexasInvestigator

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

That text is a little off, by about 7 years.  Texas open carry started in 2015, non-licensed carry was 2021.  

You can carry in national parks, but not inside the buildings.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Rarely see open carry, save for a few places in rural North Texas, mostly at gas stations like others have mentioned.

However now I'm down in Austin and travel up and down I35 to DFW. Haven't seen any legit carry along that corridor.

Last night did see a guy on a Lime scooter with a Ruger 10/22 or similar shaped rifle/air rifle  slung on his back down here in Austin. Just off I35 and William Cannon. He did have a man bun and beard, so looked like a hobo, but I doubt hobos have evolved to use scooters. Figured it was some hipster with an air rifle, had to pay for the Lime scooter ride somehow.

Wasnt going to have APD go bother someone who's got a rifle slung on his back. If he had been waving it around, different story. See hobos from time to time waving sticks and axes in the medians near I35 and Slaughter.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:56:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Just arrived in Terlingua, couldn’t find any fuzzy chaps to fit Biggerhammer’s dress code; maybe I just didn’t go to the right bar last night.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I open carry to and from camping and during. I open carried during the State of Affairs meeting in The Capitol in February 2020, before covid hit. I had a couple State Troopers there complimented me on my choice of pistols too.

I don't open carry often, but concealed everywhere. I don't really pay too much attention to the signs anymore out of sheer laziness.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I mostly see it out in east Tx.
when I am visiting an old goat
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I open carry when I go to the ranch. Mainly because I am usually doing work of some sort there and sweating a lot and I prefer to have some clothing between me and my pistol and not have it rubbing against my bare skin. I will stop at gas stations or the small town cafes on the way there and don’t worry about the gun being exposed. Aside from that I always carry concealed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I've noticed near hunting areas like Llano, way more common especially when people are playing cowboy/rancher/wildlife mgr. for the weekend.

In city areas, mostly kinda trashy people.

Lots of plainclothes cops to the point if I see a plainclothes clean cut person carrying I'm assuming theyre a detective or some variant of officer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#24]
What we need is badges and sashes!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Open carried today driving into Houston (an actual War Zone) until I turned off into the Port.

Port is a Home Land Security Zone so no open Carry there.

In Houston, far better to carry & not need it, then need it & not have it!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#26]
never seen anyone care.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#27]
While in Dallas for a while last year I saw two open carriers--one at a grocery store and the other, oddly enough, at a Pollo Regio.  Both instances were in Oak Cliff.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I mostly see it out in east Tx.
when I am visiting an old goat
View Quote

Tell that goat i said howdy.
OC in East Texas is more common than DFW
from what i see.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Agree with the rest. It's around, not common in the metros. I think I can count the overt open carriers I've seen on one hand.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Been living in El Paso since Dec of '19.

Seen open carry, that I have noticed, 3x. Twice at Lowes and once at Albertsons.

I have seen a ton more horrible concealed rigs. Like Serpa stupid rigs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Open carried today driving into Houston (an actual War Zone) until I turned off into the Port.

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

I'm not particularly familiar with the Port, but I thought all carry was banned there(?).
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Do not recall any sightings.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Bigger_Hammer

Quoted:
I'm not particularly familiar with the Port, but I thought all carry was banned there(?).
View Quote

The interior of the Port has a Secured Area that requires a TWIC card & is of course a "No Guns" zone.

But I only had to stop at the Customs Office at a freight terminal so I didn't have to enter inside TWIC / "Secured" portion of the port.  

Man - talk about insanity - Semis were stacked nose to tail in the streets idling for 4 to 6 hours in a huge line outside just to get into the loading docks to drop or pick up cargo.    

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I live in East Texas near Emory and will see someone open carrying once every week or two. I tend to only conceal carry unless I am getting gas on the way to or from church. Or if we go out to eat as a group after church and do not feel like wearing a suit coat. No one bats an eye at Dairy Queen because they see us there often and hardly anyone makes an attempt to conceal. Most to the time local police officers will visit and they have never said anything to us other than good evening.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

In Lampasas both aren’t uncommon. It still never gets old to see the guy with a horse in the back of his truck too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/QHjjMVy.jpg

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

Is that Buckaroo Banzai? I loved that movie as a kid! It’s way too hot for Woolley’s in this state.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just arrived in Terlingua, couldn’t find any fuzzy chaps to fit Biggerhammer’s dress code; maybe I just didn’t go to the right bar last night.

View Quote

Make a point of stopping at Big Bend Saddlery in Alpine. Very nice place they’ll make you a custom set of shotguns, bat wings or chinks.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Is that Buckaroo Banzai? I loved that movie as a kid! It’s way too hot for Woolley’s in this state.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/QHjjMVy.jpg

BIGGER_HAMMER

That it is...  You have a Good Eye & Sharp Mind my friend!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That it is...  You have a Good Eye & Sharp Mind my friend!

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

Stay thirsty, John Smallberries
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top