Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2022 10:02:27 AM EDT
Hi all - this is specifically about ONLY the Backcountry Camp Sites.

They recommend 4wd and high clearance vehicles for these sites, but I know from past experience at least a few (K-Bar1 and K-Bar2) are easily accessible in a regular SUV. Unfortunately the K-Bar sites are unavailable.

DO YOU KNOW WHICH OTHER SITES ARE ACCESSIBLE IN A STANDARD SUV (not high clearance, not 4wd)?

I would just take my Jeep but it is a 2-door with no back seat - and this trip my girlfriend, teenage son, and elderly father want to come along.
Since we can't fit the Jeep we'll have to take the Mazda CX-5.

Any responses about your direct knowledge and experience are appreciated, in advance.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Croton Springs would be one. You can get a travel trailer in there even.

Hard to recommend others without knowing current road conditions. The conditions change weekly based largely on driving habits of others. If people grind ruts into the roads it can be iffy from a sand or rock obstruction standpoint. I have seen someone drive a Crown Vic the entire length of the River Road.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
O.S.T.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Grapevine Hills Sites on way to Balanced Rock are car accessible.  Croton as mentioned. River Road and anything that leads to Glenn Springs is higher clearance. In Spring River Road is often a pinstriper.

As stated though, any trail is subject to a washout.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
All I know is Guale-2 was freaking rough and way tougher than I ever thought it was gonna be lol...
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All I know is Guale-2 was freaking rough and way tougher than I ever thought it was gonna be lol...
View Quote

That's in the state park.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grapevine Hills Sites on way to Balanced Rock are car accessible.  Croton as mentioned. River Road and anything that leads to Glenn Springs is higher clearance. In Spring River Road is often a pinstriper.

As stated though, any trail is subject to a washout.
View Quote

That road can be done on a passenger car easy if you don't drive super fast. The campsites are easy to access but you can get dusted real bad from the road. People drive it often at 50mph creating huge dust clouds. I really like the trail there too and it is really special at sunrise and sunset. I have guided some trips out there and Balanced Rock is one of the better places for a sunset photoshoot and walk back down the trail to the parking lot in the dark.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info guys!

I'll read up on those sites and see what I can find as to availability.

I may also see about trading in my 2016 2-door Wrangler for a 4-door, which could alleviate the entire problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top