Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2022 12:05:09 PM EDT
I can't find an official "news" story. The Smash Da Topic guy is out with Texas Game Wardens and DPD looking for this thing. Keep your kids inside today and you guys know the rest.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Bad time to be a coyote in Dallas.  Not that it's ever a good time, I suppose, but it's crazy that people don't realize how many coyotes are around until something like this happens.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bad time to be a coyote in Dallas.  Not that it's ever a good time, I suppose, but it's crazy that people don't realize how many coyotes are around until something like this happens.
View Quote

They get used to not being hunted or harassed and feel like they have free reign to scavenge trash, pets and now kids. Once they start getting shot at, they know the gig is up and they'll move some place else for a couple of months.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Tons of them in our old neighborhood.

Listen at night and you can hear them, a lot of time they answer the police / ambulance.

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Used to hear them and they'd be in my front yard at night.  Hadn't seen or heard one in quite awhile
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#7]
230pm April 12th across from Bethany Elementary in Plano.
This fat boy walked across the street in front of me.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
There's a lady in my neighborhood who feeds the ones in our park
(I like being wild enough to have coyotes, but they don't need encouragement)
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Growing up in North Texas along the Red River, I'm used to coyotes crossing fields in the day. Normally after dark is when they came out. Would take a few chickens that were too stupid to go inside. Never had issues. Maybe I grew up in the far country and the coyotes didn't want to bother us. Seemed they were scared of us and our farm dogs.

Now living in the suburbs outside of Austin in Travis County proper, I can hear coyotes yelping and yapping away. One reason I carry at night when I take the dog out for a walk. She's a pit mix and probably could hold her own, but she's stupid enough thinking she could play with the coyotes.

I take it, these urban coyotes aren't afraid of humans?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Heard a lot of conflicting information about this tragic incident.

The conflicts are whether or not there were a number of wandering/aggressive coyote reports in the weeks leading up to the attack. City of Dallas Animal Control claims to only have one.

City of Dallas claims people have been feeding and petting the coyote. Area residents say this is false but Facebook and social media posts show that feeding and petting did take place with a number of area residents.

Hard to ferret out the truth with all this so early. Probably should be an investigation,  Open Records Request etc to see what all has been documented. If I report something to the City of Dallas I might phone it in but always, always always send in a written statement via email or written 311 to establish a paper trail. Otherwise there will be no record.

The area in question is a place I am pretty familiar with. It's Jackson Branch of White Rock Creek which interconnects with a large greenbelt area down to White Rock Lake. Lots of great habitat for coyotes as they use the creek system as a highway up and down a mix of homes, apartment complexes and shopping centers. Some of the areas are hard to get back into for a human.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I know no one wants to hear it, because I've told 2 city council members personally, 311 sucks. That's where complaints go to die.

I'd be curious to see how many 311 reports were filled and how many 311 calls were made and sent to never never land.

If there's a dozen 311 calls, then it's time to hang it in someone's ass at the 311 department.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#12]
A 300 BLK and HUSH 220GR wont alert the HOA.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know no one wants to hear it, because I've told 2 city council members personally, 311 sucks. That's where complaints go to die.

I'd be curious to see how many 311 reports were filled and how many 311 calls were made and sent to never never land.

If there's a dozen 311 calls, then it's time to hang it in someone's ass at the 311 department.
View Quote

You can create and download your own data sets from the City of Dallas Data Portal here:
https://www.dallasopendata.com/browse?q=311&sortBy=relevance

Problem is making sure you harvest the right data. Their data sets are really messed up. You can download the .csv data into Excel and manipulate it from there. It takes awhile to find the right data to download. Often it is corrupted and you won't find out it's corrupted data till you finalize your data set. Frustrating and will drive you nuts after about 45 minutes of research. The data is sort of there though. If a written 311 was submitted electronically online chances are it will be in the dataset.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#14]
@refidnasb, I know you had previously reported encountering feral hogs in some of these same areas

Is this anywhere near where all those peacocks hang out by the stables north of White Rock Lake, past Flagpole Hill?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@refidnasb, I know you had previously reported encountering feral hogs in some of these same areas

Is this anywhere near where all those peacocks hang out by the stables north of White Rock Lake, past Flagpole Hill?
View Quote

The WFAA report says the girl was on the front porch when bitten.  The street given is Royalpine, which is about 5 or 6 streets north of Flagpole...intersects with White Rock Trail.

mm
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, same area. The feral hogs were back there a long time ago, 2013-2014 maybe. Same general vicinity of the horse stables where the peacocks can be seen. There is a street called Goforth Road that makes a 90 degree turn to the east at a City of Dallas Service Center for heavy equipment. Back of that maintenance yard is where TPWD and others are looking for the coyote. I have not talked to anyone involved with the search for the animal. Just what I have heard in the media. I do know quite a few of the professional responders though that are actively searching for the animal. I have not spoken with them.

I think they are using helicopters, drones, FLIR etc to find the coyote. It is really thick back there and has some great habitat along the DART blue line and the creek.

Extremely rare for a coyote to attack a human. I know one of the responders gives a coyote presentation to different groups and always talks about how coyotes are basically no threat to humans. He'll need to update is powerpoint slide deck now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A 300 BLK and HUSH 220GR wont alert the HOA.
View Quote
100% the answer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#18]
They shot a coyote that looked like a coyote being reported on 1080am
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Benjamin Bulldog 357 or 45
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That would make awesome urban coyote medicine.

I have an AV Avenger in 22 with an ATN 4k Pro on it. I'd like to try some 50 yard headshots.

Quoted:

USDA believes they shot the coyote around 9pm last night. Video at the link.

How do they know it's the same yote?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Three coyotes have now been shot and killed in that vicinity as of 4pm 5/5/22 according to the Dallas Morning News.

Sounds like de-population efforts will continue in that vicinity. I would think there are a lot of coyotes in that general area.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Three coyotes have now been shot and killed in that vicinity as of 4pm 5/5/22 according to the Dallas Morning News.

Sounds like de-population efforts will continue in that vicinity. I would think there are a lot of coyotes in that general area.
View Quote

Good. I was reading the stuff the city was putting out for citizens to dissuade the coyotes from coming into their yards.

Spray the coyotes with a water hose?

If you're close enough to spray them with a hose, you're already too damn close.

And oh, throw rocks or sticks but don't hit the coyotes.

Those animals already lost their fear of humans over kids games like that.

Remove a few key figures from the pack, put a little fear and pressure into them and they'll move back into the shadows. I'm glad someone (probably at the state level) had the balls to do it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Good. I was reading the stuff the city was putting out for citizens to dissuade the coyotes from coming into their yards.

If you're close enough to spray them with a hose, you're already too damn close.

Remove a few key figures from the pack, put a little fear and pressure into them and they'll move back into the shadows. I'm glad someone (probably at the state level) had the balls to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

new coyotes will move in if they don't continue to shoot them forever
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s called hazing and it’s the appropriate thing to do. It’s not feasible to hunt city coyotes long term. They are density breeders and will never stop coming. Killing them does nothing, training them to be fearful is the only decent  solution
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It’s called hazing and it’s the appropriate thing to do. It’s not feasible to hunt city coyotes long term. They are density breeders and will never stop coming. Killing them does nothing, training them to be fearful is the only decent  solution
View Quote

Scientists say the best thing to do is allow a dominant alpha female to establish range. She will keep all the teenage and troublemaker coyotes away from her territory. The more coyotes you kill, the more coyotes will come in and saturate the habitat until an alpha female re-establishes a territory there. Basic science of how coyotes operate. Out in the field, talking with ranch managers this has become a proven winning tactic in handling coyotes long term.

You can keep on killing them but it just brings in more. And more. There was a peer reviewed and published study on coyotes in Chicago authored by a department at Ohio State. It gets into all the hierarchy and family relationships of coyotes and that strong alpha territorial defense.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Maybe that's their experience. Every time I get a shot at a coyote, they un-ass the area and go some place else.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#28]
There's a pack of 10+ in Carrollton.  Watched them walking through some thick brush with thermal.  

I've occasionally witnessed singles or pairs casually strolling in the open after dawn/before dusk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top