Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2022 11:43:32 PM EDT
Houston’s turned into a cesspool so I’m thinking of buying a lot to build on and move my family out there. Anybody have some insight on bow it is to raise a family out there?
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#1]
GREAT choice. I LOVE San Saba. If you want land buy quick. Small town living, people are great. Most all of my wife's family were born in the San Saba hospital - back when they had one. Her cousins own a farm in Richland Springs and I own a ranch in Brady. You'll be glad to get out of H-Town but get use to small town living. Not exactly a Galleria Mall around but the country is beautiful, hunting is great.
Hit one of the churches and make friends really quickly.
I wanted to build a house in Brady on my ranch but there is no industry for what my wife and I do, so we moved from Katy to Springtown. It's 3 hours from my ranch still but closer than Katy and it was turning into little Houston.
I believe we have some members here in the San Saba, Brady area.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]
One of my favorite areas in the Hill Country. Hwy 16 from Llano to San Saba is gorgeous.  It’s small town TX atmosphere with good people. You’d definitely want to spend some time talking with someone from the area about what life is like in these small towns. Some love it and others just can’t adapt. TX is huge and a 1.5 hr drive to a larger city with the stores they may be accustomed to is common out here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Love San Saba!  It's a destination for us.

Not sure how hard it will be for you to find a "lot", as there are lots of large ranches in the area.

Are you retired?  Asking because there's not much in the way of employment in San Saba.

Do eat at the new Pecan Hill Grill restaurant!

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Houston has been that way for a very long time , blame the carpet baggers from Cali for that..

trying to tip there vote in red states from GOP to DEM
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Mills County (20 minutes from Brownwood.)

Just dumped my house in H-Town, and movers come next week.   So, it will be full time ranch living starting next week.   Turning our old country place into our new retirement home.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mills County (20 minutes from Brownwood.)

Just dumped my house in H-Town, and movers come next week.   So, it will be full time ranch living starting next week.   Turning our old country place into our new retirement home.
View Quote

Congratulations!!! Great move. I pass through Brownwood every time I go to my ranch in Brady, from my house in Springtown. You'll love it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.  

While I love Houston and have lived in the swamp forever, I am looking forward to an arid environment.   At least sweat works up there to actually cool you down.  In H, it just makes you wet, and you are still hot.    

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been thinking of moving out of the Austin area to somewhere out there.  The main thing I need is good Internet for work.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top