Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2021 9:43:13 PM EDT
Hello all,

Wanting to know what's the status of Abbot's orders related to covid? Are these orders going to become law? What's the outlook for Texas in the future?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Governor Greg Abbott enacted over thirty Covid related executive orders from 3/19/2020 through 8/25/21. A full list here: https://lrl.texas.gov/legeLeaders/governors/displayDocs.cfm?govdoctypeID=5&governorID=45

The beginning of his executive orders were in response to then new information about the virus, and it could be assumed he acted to help prevent further health crises within the state. Much new evidence concerning the virus has come about since then.

Recent orders by Abbott are a stark contrast and show a response to executive orders at the federal level, and to combat federal overreach. Abbott has shown reasonable discretion in his recent orders by balancing health and safety concerns with constitutional rights (the preservation of the latter being most important for our government to concern itself with).

Our constitutional rights and individual liberties would benefit greatly from the absence of governments’ involvement. I think Abbotts recent orders show he is in favor of the above sentiment.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 6:12:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Banned all entities in the state from requiring woke pokes
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I guess I got my answer today. Abbott is going after private companies prohibiting them from enforcing COVID mandate. I would say so far he's doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:58:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm curious, my employer is headquartered out of state. I wonder if they'll claim it doesn't apply because of that. Or maybe they'll ignore it like Southwest did.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:55:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm curious, my employer is headquartered out of state. I wonder if they'll claim it doesn't apply because of that. Or maybe they'll ignore it like Southwest did.

View Quote

I heard an interview of Governor Abbott today, he side that the EO not only applies to Texas governments and businesses, but also to Texans. So that if you are a Texan not business can require you to take the vaccine.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you are employed Texas, then you are covered by Texas law.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

unless you are a federal contractor like all airlines.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wrong.  Holding a contract with the federal government does not magically make state laws not apply to you or your employees in that state.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wrong.  Holding a contract with the federal government does not magically make state laws not apply to you or your employees in that state.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article VI, Paragraph 2 of the U.S. Constitution is commonly referred to as the Supremacy Clause. It establishes that the federal constitution, and federal law generally, take precedence over state laws, and even state constitutions.

And since our federal government gave up on upholding the constitution some time ago, they will attempt to enforce whatever law they deem fit. Executive orders being the quickest way to circumvent the proper and lengthy lawmaking process.

While state and federal government play a legal tug of war (and regardless of who appears to be winning at the moment), Texans will still continue to be fired over the vaccine mandates because their employers are spineless back stabbers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Article VI, Paragraph 2 of the U.S. Constitution is commonly referred to as the Supremacy Clause. It establishes that the federal constitution, and federal law generally, take precedence over state laws, and even state constitutions.

And since our federal government gave up on upholding the constitution some time ago, they will attempt to enforce whatever law they deem fit. Executive orders being the quickest way to circumvent the proper and lengthy lawmaking process.

While state and federal government play a legal tug of war (and regardless of who appears to be winning at the moment), Texans will still continue to be fired over the vaccine mandates because their employers are spineless back stabbers.
View Quote

That's a common misconception about the supremacy clause.  It really only applies where the federal government has constitutional jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's a common misconception about the supremacy clause.  It really only applies where the federal government has constitutional jurisdiction.
View Quote

Not a misconception. The first paragraph I posted is the definition of the supremacy clause.

Wether or not the supremacy clause applies in the situation being discussed is for the courts to decide. Not you or I.

Refer to my 2nd & 3rd paragraph if you want to debate something, as those are my own opinions.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn’t realize the COVID jab was in the Constitution or a federal law.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Abbotts orders are not state law.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like above, Biden's orders are not Federal Law.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not a misconception. The first paragraph I posted is the definition of the supremacy clause.
View Quote

Which has over 200 years of Case Law defining when and where it applies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top