Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2021 1:24:22 PM EDT
At the end of this month and I can’t find a place to rent.

The wife and I are moving closer to the family in the North Houston area and it’s a bitch to find a place. We are currently in Washington state. Rental scams galore. Any advice?
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Stop trying to use online listings and get a real estate agent or realtor  in the area you want to live.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Grab a tent and head to Austin. It's FREE REAL ESTATE!
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure where your "North Houston" area search is, but try this site.  It may help.  Good luck with your search.

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Texas/Conroe/
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#4]
As mentioned above apartmentguide.com is a good source and there is also apartments.com.  The people that manage the apartments often work for a management company and can provide referrals for other apartment complexes under that company.

ETA:  Also, when you get a couple to look at...mention here the complex name and address.  The guys here are pretty quick to fill you in on the neighborhood, grocery stores, and traffic.

mm
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grab a tent and head to Austin. It's FREE REAL ESTATE!
View Quote

If I were younger I might tent it but these days I prefer a bed and running water.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not sure where your "North Houston" area search is, but try this site.  It may help.  Good luck with your search.

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Texas/Conroe/
View Quote

Yes we are looking in the Conroe area. Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#7]
On the plus side, Big Tex is in Conroe so you’ll have a top notch firearms dealer right in your back door.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Stop trying to use online listings and get a real estate agent or realtor  in the area you want to live.
View Quote

THIS.   It doesn't cost you a cent, and you'll get someone licensed & knowledgeable who has access of ALL the available properties (Apartments, Condos, Duplexes, Houses, etc...)

Avoid the SCAMS - (and there are a LOT of them out there).

(NOT a Realtor myself, nor married or related to one) But I did sell hundreds of new homes for decades & a Good Property Locator Agent was worth their weight in Platinum to the Customer for a smooth move.)

BIGGER_HAMMER

@hotbiggun42

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I look at this site pretty frequently and it is pretty easy to navigate. I live in Conroe, and it is growing like a mf around here. Really depends on what you want to do...rent an apt/house/condo. How much room do you need for how long.

https://www.har.com/

If it were me, I'd put everything in storage and look at an apt until you can find what you want. Home prices here are up there, but so is everything everywhere. I'd try to wait out the market for a year or so if you can, until hopefully some sense or normalcy returns. If you're interested in my opinion of where to move to and where to stay away from around here, PM me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I look at this site pretty frequently and it is pretty easy to navigate. I live in Conroe, and it is growing like a mf around here. Really depends on what you want to do...rent an apt/house/condo. How much room do you need for how long.

https://www.har.com/

If it were me, I'd put everything in storage and look at an apt until you can find what you want. Home prices here are up there, but so is everything everywhere. I'd try to wait out the market for a year or so if you can, until hopefully some sense or normalcy returns. If you're interested in my opinion of where to move to and where to stay away from around here, PM me.
View Quote

This. The bubble will eventually burst and there will be homes for more reasonable prices, give it time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This. The bubble will eventually burst and there will be homes for more reasonable prices, give it time.
View Quote

There are signs in Austin the bubble is becoming unstable.  Sales are slowing and values have actually dropped in some areas because buyers are having trouble getting loans at the highly inflated prices.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I hear Oklahoma is nice.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I hear Oklahoma is nice.
View Quote

Yeah, we got your kind up in Washington.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The wife and I are moving closer to the family in the North Houston area and it’s a bitch to find a place. We are currently in Washington state. Rental scams galore. Any advice?
View Quote

Hey OP

If you still need some help, I have a family member in Conroe that is a realtor. PM me and maybe i can get you a list of rentals
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  It’s 2007 all over again with people thinking that home values will double every couple of years forever.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
On the plus side, Big Tex is in Conroe so you’ll have a top notch firearms dealer right in your back door.
View Quote

Man that’s good news. I’ve kinda decided to be happy with guns I have but you know how that goes.

Is there hog hunting in the Conroe area.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I work in north hoouston and like the rest of Houston, it’s an absolute warzone.

I would live in the Woodlands or Conroe and commute if I was you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Good luck. The plague of Californians coming to Texas has made housing both scarce and unreasonably expensive. It's the same everywhere. Throw in the Nawlins refugees that fled to Houston and it's a complete mess from what I hear.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Houston/Harris county sucks because of Bob the Fake Mexican got a bunch of retarded DUMBocrats took of the county judge and commissioners. Same with judges that allow criminals to bond out on OR bonds. The DA Boss Ogg refuses to prosecute criminals.

Most of the asshole DUMBocrats elected to the Harris county seats are native Texans, same with Bob the Fake Mexican.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Show up a few weeks ahead of time with just yourself and a suitcase.  Go in person and rent someplace, even if it's short term so the rest of the family has somewhere to go.

Forget anything online unless someone provides you with a verified leasing agent that is trusted, otherwise give nobody any money period via phone or websites.  You are going to have to do this in person, and you will find something.  It might not be ideal, initially, but likely you will need to be on a list and wait a period of time to get the ideal spot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top